TTArtisan 50mm 1.4 review

Harpomatic

Thanks for another excellent, thorough review - painstaking work I'm sure, but the result is a very valuable resource. It would be worth drawing the attention of the manufacturer to, since they might be able to do something about the shiny part of the aperture mechanism. Now if the new CV 50mm could be as good in terms of sharpness and bokeh... but I doubt it somehow.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sinjun said:

Thanks for another excellent, thorough review - painstaking work I'm sure, but the result is a very valuable resource. It would be worth drawing the attention of the manufacturer to, since they might be able to do something about the shiny part of the aperture mechanism. Now if the new CV 50mm could be as good in terms of sharpness and bokeh... but I doubt it somehow.

Thank you for your kind words. It is a lot of work, true, but I think that creating content with value is a much better proposition than creating content for the sake of it.

I will certainly talk to TTArtisan, they should really make the modification I think.

About the CV 50 II I don’t think it will have such a performance but given the size an weight I can accept a bit less. But I would like at least the level of v.1!

• 1 month later...

Around the time of my last post I began to look where I could buy this lens. That wasn't easy. I don't buy from shops outside EU or even in China. There is one ebay seller in France who seems to have TTartisan lenses, but not the 50/1.4. No other shop seemed to have this lens so I put it on my waiting list. 

Went to the biggest camera store in the city today to look for used Leica stuff and they recently added the TTartisan lenses. Got one now. Focus is ok, no calibration necessary.

The lens looks really good on the camera and focus / aperture are smooth. Nothing to complain so far, but I had no chance to provoke flare. That will be interesting.

• Like 1

vor 24 Minuten schrieb astrostl:

https://photorumors.com sells TT and 7A with (at least some) free international shipping. That's where I got my TT 21/1.5 and 50/1.4.

I know. From the website:

Shipping can take a few weeks depending on your location. Please be patient.

Not my thing. I'm the most impatient person in the wold.

On 10/5/2020 at 4:53 PM, Harpomatic said:

Anyone feeling like lending me their Summilux 50mm 1.4 ASPH for a direct comparison? 🤓

I know it's not a fair comparison and they are different. But looking at your reviews I notice you have the Summilux 50mm 1.4 (pre-asph), with regards to bokeh what do you find more pleasing (in your opinion)? 

FYI: yes I am into bokeh.. I know a lens should be evaluated on other attributes... Not just bokeh... 

1 hour ago, Raymondl said:

I know it's not a fair comparison and they are different. But looking at your reviews I notice you have the Summilux 50mm 1.4 (pre-asph), with regards to bokeh what do you find more pleasing (in your opinion)? 

FYI: yes I am into bokeh.. I know a lens should be evaluated on other attributes... Not just bokeh... 

Hi, I actually don’t have the Summilux II anymore. I keep on rotating lenses way too much. The reason why I sold it is that it just was not agreeing with every other lens with the calibration, it was front focusing a lot. I sent it to have it CLA’d and adjusted with my Leica M-P 240 to a renown technician here in UK but he said all was swell, and it was agreeing with the other lens I sent - which it wasn’t. I ended up adjusting the rangefinder myself and selling the Summilux, which after the CLA had the aperture ring that was way too loose, having been perfect before. Now the camera focuses every lens perfectly. I guess the Summilux was still adjusted for film...

To answer your question: TTArtisan. The Lux can be quite swirly, the TTA is more neutral and soft. But I’d be happy with both.

• Like 1

Bought the lens although I knew from reviews that it has a weak spot regarding flare. Wanted to know how it behaves with light sources.

Hope you don't mind that I add images here.

All images at 1.4

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Nothing critical with smaller light sources. I like the light orbs in the 2nd photo.

• Like 1

With a stonger light source at the border you see flare but that amount is not uncommon with other lenses too.

A strong light source directly towards the camera in that position produces wild flare. That is clearly not usable. But so far, this is the only image that came out like this.

Edited by tom.w.bn

1 hour ago, tom.w.bn said:

Hope you don't mind that I add images here.

Please do! I started the thread to begin a discussion on the lens, not to just advertise my website: I mention my review because I hope it is of use to the members.

31 minutes ago, astrostl said:

Stopping down to f/1.7 kills the internal/ring flare entirely.

It does indeed stop the crazy flare, that's why I think it's just the shiny plastic of the aperture rails. But the lens is still prone to flare, more than average. I will publish a little more stuff and show that in the next few weeks.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cboy said:

Thank Op for the review. Fantastic! Now ill be considering this lens for general all purpose carry. 

I hope at some point in the future u can look into reviewing the new vm 50 1.5 and do a comparison 😁

Hi, thank you!

I will be reviewing both lenses together. I received my copy of the new Nokton 1.5 II. It looks really promising!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/22/2020 at 1:14 PM, Harpomatic said:

I will be reviewing both lenses together. I received my copy of the new Nokton 1.5 II. It looks really promising!

Thank you for your review Flavio, I really liked what this lens if capable of in the 1.4-2 range. Did you have chance to review the new Nokton? Or at least, since the last post in Nov, any updates for the IQ wide open? 

On 2/8/2021 at 6:54 PM, Dennis said:

Thank you for your review Flavio, I really liked what this lens if capable of in the 1.4-2 range. Did you have chance to review the new Nokton? Or at least, since the last post in Nov, any updates for the IQ wide open? 

Hi Dennis,

I have been using the CV 1.5 II and I have been quite impressed by it.

I will publish a comparison with is very soon and then a standalone review shortly after.

Thanks!

• Like 1

In the last weeks I'm constantly under the impression the M lenses section of this Leica forum is full of non-Leica lenses threads...

Another phenomena I observed is how the "reputation" of Voigtlander and TTartisan is subtly increasing. I must admit, I was too underestimating their lenses in the past.

Maybe is just my personal (wrong) feeling.

Edited by Cobram
  • Like 2