Opinions on Oberwerth SL Large bag?

bradhusick

Very good bag. You can put a lot of stuff in it. But when it is full, it becomes very heavy for a messenger bag. But it is comfortable and has a great look IMHO. 

I can fit the following in it :

sl2 with RRS L-plate

16-35 / 24-90 / 90-280

1 additional lens, for example the Laowa 15/2 or a 50 Noctilux

4 batteries

lens cleaning spray, small blower, tissues, RRS multi tool and other small stuff

• Like 1

you can put it with any of the mentioned lenses, but not with the 90-280.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Mdol said:

You reversed labels on 24-90 and 90-280.  Not that they’re needed to distinguish. 

I have the Oberwerth Porto bag, which seems the same size, but I agree that it’s a pain to carry fully loaded. So I ended up rarely using it, preferring the Billingham 25 rucksack for a full kit, or one of my smaller bags if I’m not taking the big zoom.

Jeff

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have owned an oberwerth bag (dont remember the name) for Leica M+lens + 2 additional lenses.

While the bag is very robust and beautifully made, I now prefer bags which are more flexible and therefore "adapt/connect" better to the human body when carrying them.

As an example - if you like leather - bags from companion, or bags made from lighter and more flexible material, like cordura.

I also have to say that everything which exceeds the Sl+lens+1 additional lens I prefer to carry it in a backpack. If you have one with access from the side, it handles nearly as fast as a shoulder bag but is much more compfortble to carry - IMO, at least if you want to carry it more than from the car to a shooting location (like on a walk, hike, city trip,...)

1 hour ago, Al404 said:

Thanks I already own a backpack but since I often shoot whit the M a small bag if fine, I was only worried that this bag can leave stains on clothes

I have the bag that you mentioned. I don’t have any problems with stains at all. But truth to be told, I don’t wear any super light and sensitive clothes, just a regular t-shirts and hoodies and no problems at all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hirohhhh said:

I have the bag that you mentioned. I don’t have any problems with stains at all. But truth to be told, I don’t wear any super light and sensitive clothes, just a regular t-shirts and hoodies and no problems at all.

Thanks If it was oily is easy to see, if you did not have issue isn't something to worry about 

Some years ago those jackets was pretty popular, not sure if you had seen them but that is what I mean for oily 

https://www.barbour.com/mens/waxed-jackets

Edited by Al404

I have this jacket and it’s waxed, but this bag is totally different material. It’s soft leather, as they say, vegetable tanned. The jacket is much more stiff and you can almost feel the layer of a wax.

I tried to rub a white piece of paper off the bag dozen times, and it gets slightly dark, but I’d say it’s rather from the dust and dirt than the leather itself.

If you’re wearing white shirts and want to leave them clean, maybe this bag is not the best one, because even if the leather won’t stain, it will get dirty eventually and the matte texture of the bag will hold the dust more than some shiny leather that you can easily wipe off with the wet cloth.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hirohhhh said:

I have this jacket and it’s waxed, but this bag is totally different material. It’s soft leather, as they say, vegetable tanned. The jacket is much more stiff and you can almost feel the layer of a wax.

I tried to rub a white piece of paper off the bag dozen times, and it gets slightly dark, but I’d say it’s rather from the dust and dirt than the leather itself.

If you’re wearing white shirts and want to leave them clean, maybe this bag is not the best one, because even if the leather won’t stain, it will get dirty eventually and the matte texture of the bag will hold the dust more than some shiny leather that you can easily wipe off with the wet cloth.

If you’re wearing white shirts and interacting with anything, that should be called “user error” and should not be considered the fault of the bag. 😳🙈😱

3 hours ago, Al404 said:

My Leica M bag arrive, it is a smaller version of the SL

https://eu.oberwerth.com/products/the-m-bag

It doesn't really look like in picture where the leather looks more "flat"

I also noticed that my cats hair and every particle tend to sticks on it, does it happen because it is new to is this kind of finish?

Mine looks quite the same as one on the pictures.

Also nothing has stick to it since I have it (although I don’t have pets), but no particles, nothing.

It leaves temporary marks when you rub it with your fingers, kinda you can draw on the leather with your fingers, but I found that texture pleasing, and it looks wear even when it was new.

Give it some time, I hope you’re gonna like it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I bought the Oberwerth SL2 from B&H. It has a decent capacity and has a flexible divider system. If you want you can keep a mounted body. I have the 24-90. Plus an older macro lens. Also keep the flash plus flash remote. Plus some extras. I also keep a 12" ipad in the back sleeve. My issue with the bag is the Loxx latch system. Mine broke the first day! Really disappointed in that. Based on that, I would seek out another bag. I will probably have mine modified, when I find the right leather person. 

Good luck with yours