Best Practice for Minimizing Dust when switching lenses

Einst_Stein

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What's your tricks?

I always carry some fresh garbage bags when I travel or go out shooting.  These are my changing bags although they may not be dark or light proof.

Not scientifically proven, but the plastic bag has electrical statics that tends to attract the dusts to its wall, hence further prevent dusts flying to the sensor besides its protection from the external dust or wind. A bag would not be reused for this purpose, but it will go into my backpack to be (re)used as the laundry bag. 

This idea was original proposed by someone suggests the darkroom changing tent but was then corrected by another saying the tent itself is a dust black hole. The fresh plastic garbage bags are cheap, easy to carry, and can serve as the laundry bag afterwards.     

• Like 2

I do all I can to avoid changing lenses when out and about. Two cameras with complementary focal lengths helps. When essential, I find a calm atmosphere where I can sit down to change lenses. (Inside a museum or church for example) The idea of a plastic bag does not appeal to me unless I am in a very dirty atmosphere, when I would avoid the task.

8 minutes ago, wda said:

I do all I can to avoid changing lenses when out and about. Two cameras with complementary focal lengths helps. When essential, I find a calm atmosphere where I can sit down to change lenses. (Inside a museum or church for example) The idea of a plastic bag does not appeal to me unless I am in a very dirty atmosphere, when I would avoid the task.

Never change lens is certainly one of the options.

But you can do better.

You over-simplified my comments. When working on commissions, changing lenses was unavoidable and I mastered sensor cleaning of my M8 and M9. Now my photography is far less demanding. So I chose the approach l outlined above. It is quite liberating to spend a day or session with just one camera and one lens. It is also more efficient and makes the most of available time.

Edited by wda

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 5 Stunden schrieb wda:

The dust content within buildings is much higher than outdoors except there is a sandstorm going on. Thus I prefer to change lenses outdoors pointing the lens mount down with the wind in my back, ie face and camera in wind direction.

But overall, I change the lens whenever I feel I want to do.

Regards, 

Steve

• Like 1