Favorite moderately priced 50mm for M10M?

pmendelson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 hours ago, astrostl said:

Interested to hear more about the TT 50/1.4!

Check my review out: https://www.47-degree.com/focus-shift/ttartisan-50mm-14-review

It’s a surprisingly good lens, unbelievable for the price! I really like it and am using it right now.

If something is not in the review and you’d like me to test it I will if possible.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Harpomatic said:

Check my review out: https://www.47-degree.com/focus-shift/ttartisan-50mm-14-review

It’s a surprisingly good lens, unbelievable for the price! I really like it and am using it right now.

If something is not in the review and you’d like me to test it I will if possible.

I have a ZM 50/2 and an 50/1.4 Lux, but I'm also a knucklehead and bought one based on your review :P

I find your site super clean and readable. Biggest requests, if I had any, would be per-aperture grids on stuff like sharpness and specific contrasts at minimum and infinity a la https://phillipreeve.net/blog/review-voigtlander-vm-35mm-1-2-iii/ . Super helpful as-is though!

Unfortunately 🤨I don't own a M10M, but I am a very content owner of a M9M. For B&W rendering I really like my Zeiss C-Sonnar 50/1.5. I did have to learn to deal with its focus shift and had it 6bit coded as if it was a 50/1.4ASPH. While shot wide open it is capable of very special classic looking images, stoped down it gives you a very well performing 50. B.t.w. if you use live view on your M10M focus shift won't be a problem.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, astrostl said:

I have a ZM 50/2 and an 50/1.4 Lux, but I'm also a knucklehead and bought one based on your review :P

I find your site super clean and readable. Biggest requests, if I had any, would be per-aperture grids on stuff like sharpness and specific contrasts at minimum and infinity a la https://phillipreeve.net/blog/review-voigtlander-vm-35mm-1-2-iii/ . Super helpful as-is though!

Hi astrostl, I’m flattered that you have bought the TTArtisan 50mm 1.4 based on my review! Have you received it? I would love to have access to a Summilux 50mm 1.4 ASPH to make a comparison. Alas, I don’;t seem to be able to get a loan one for now. Maybe you could tell me your opinions on it?

I see what you mean about the grid and I thought about that, but I definitely am not in a suitable place for such a useful view. As soon as I find a good panoramic spot suitable for that I will definitely start doing it. 

Thanks for the feedback!

• Like 1

The biggest problem with TTartisan, 7artisan and Mitakon & Co. lenses is the build quality. While they look awesomely sturdy, robust and have a cool metallic vibe on the outside, there are plastic and sub-par parts inside. I have had 2 such lenses literally fall apart on me - the 7artisans 50/1.1 barrel fell apart and The Mitakon Zhongyi 50/0.95 in E mount had all (!) the iris blades collapse, only to find out they were being held together and up by thin yellow plastic pins. I am a pro photographer but do not abuse my lenses too much - the latter's iris fell apart in a Think Tank Airport bag, in Ireland on assignment.

OK, so you will say, why don't you just get the Noctilux then... I did get it, the mighty 0.95 version, took it to Indonesia on assignment and have had tiny water droplets develop between elements. It was serviced by Leica but I sold it afterwards. So there.

I love the idea of cheap M lenses. Here you always get what you pay for. If you use your above mentioned Chinese gems gently they will probably last for a very long time. But if your income depends on it, think twice. Again, I love the idea and have had three from the series so far - the 50/1.1, the 35/2 and the 28/1.4... yet none is with me anymore.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

sub-par parts inside

I can’t disagree with that: see the plastic rails for the diaphragm in the TTArtisan 50mm 1.4. But I have highlighted that issue with TTArtisan and they said that they were very interested in such feedback and would talk to the designers about it. Will there be any change?It appears that 7Artisans did change the production spec for the 28mm 1.4, and started painting the sides surfaces of the lens elements black to avoid the bad flare that the lens was prone to.

So there’s hope...I’ll enjoy it while it lasts! 😉

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 minutes ago, Harpomatic said:

started painting the sides surfaces of the lens elements black to avoid the bad flare that the lens was prone to.

So there’s hope...I’ll enjoy it while it lasts! 😉

Well the TTartisans folks put out a 35mm with gold plated interior of the lens shade, so regarding that hope.... lol.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Harpomatic said:

Hi astrostl, I’m flattered that you have bought the TTArtisan 50mm 1.4 based on my review! Have you received it? I would love to have access to a Summilux 50mm 1.4 ASPH to make a comparison. Alas, I don’;t seem to be able to get a loan one for now. Maybe you could tell me your opinions on it?

I see what you mean about the grid and I thought about that, but I definitely am not in a suitable place for such a useful view. As soon as I find a good panoramic spot suitable for that I will definitely start doing it. 

Thanks for the feedback!

Just ordered right before I posted. Went with LeicaRumors as a vendor, just to give them a shot.

The per-aperture grid views I like on everything, not just infinity: close, mid, coma, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, astrostl said:

Received it Monday. Seriously blown away by the price/performance and overall build quality. I own the latest Summilux and I'm pressed to keep it, esp. given how 50mm is one of my least-used focal lengths. I mostly hang out around 35mm and 21mm.

Do you think you could shoot a couple of scenes and give us a blind test on which is which between the TTArtisan and the Lux? Wide open? It would be most interesting to see the results and the guesses. I’m pretty sure it would be really difficult to tell!

• Like 1

On 10/3/2020 at 12:42 AM, AndreasG said:

The Summicron 2/50 V4, Made in Canada. It is one of the best 50mm lenses available

Buy a used one.

+1

I bought a V5 used at FForbes Photographic for about $1,500 if I recall ... And I'm super mega happy with it. One of the best 50mm out there... 

43 minutes ago, Dennis said:

+1

I bought a V5 used at FForbes Photographic for about $1,500 if I recall ... And I'm super mega happy with it. One of the best 50mm out there... 

I recently bought a V5 as well and am also super happy with it.  Love the way it feels and the images it produces.

• Like 1

Am 3.10.2020 um 08:42 schrieb AndreasG:

The Summicron 2/50 V4, Made in Canada. It is one of the best 50mm lenses available, I use it for 35 years now, still perfect, optically and mechanically. It is only slightly surpassed by the APO Summicron.

Buy a used one.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

+1 bought mine about 20 years ago. It travelled all over the world from Siberia in winter, through all the jungles and moorlands of the world. Got a big hit from falling on the bricks and still is in a perfect condition!

Edited by Paulus