Favorite moderately priced 50mm for M10M?

pmendelson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would be interested in people’s favorite moderately priced (up to around $1500) 50mm to use on the M10M, and why.  I’m looking at the Zeiss 50mm Sonnar C for its renowned character, and was going to look at the new Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 Vintage line that’s coming out, as well as the incredibly cheap TTartisans 50mm f/1.4. 

Thanks!

Pmendelson,  I agree with Mediumformula.  The Leica 50mm Summarit-M f/2.4 (+ older 2.5 version)  is a most excellent lens that you can find for that price used.  Sadly, it was recently discontinued.  It has character and resolution that makes a great lens for landscape, street and other genres for photography.  Highly recommended.  Others will most likely chime in on their preferences.  r/ Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

current 50 Summicron (11826) has been optically the same for over 40 years. Plenty can be found used, and the lens is amazing. I've got the 50 Summicron collapsible (version 1) and the 50 Summilux ASPH (current version). If I could only have one 50 and not the budget for the 50 Lux, the current 50 Cron (non-apo) would be my choice. If not that, I'd agree with mediumformula above that the Summarit lenses (the f/2.4s) are all excellent and significantly less expensive than the Summicron line. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Summicron 2/50 V4, Made in Canada. It is one of the best 50mm lenses available, I use it for 35 years now, still perfect, optically and mechanically. It is only slightly surpassed by the APO Summicron.

Buy a used one.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by AndreasG
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 hours ago, pmendelson said:

I would be interested in people’s favorite moderately priced (up to around $1500) 50mm to use on the M10M, and why.  I’m looking at the Zeiss 50mm Sonnar C for its renowned character, and was going to look at the new Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 Vintage line that’s coming out, as well as the incredibly cheap TTartisans 50mm f/1.4. 

Thanks!

You won't go wrong with any of these and +1 for the Summarits.

Another excellent lens is the 50mm Elmar f2.8 collapsible (1994-2007 vers.), priced at around $1, 000- it renders beautifully on my Monochrom1.  

My favourite lens on the Monochrom1 is the Canon 50mm f1.4 in LTM mount, with LTM-M mount adapter. I have a 1962 vers. these are available in mint condition for around $250- to $350- Based on your $1, 500- budget this leaves you change to add another lens.

Here's an image with the Canon lens on the MM1. Click through a couple of times on the image to get an idea of the outstanding resolution of this lens. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by michali
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/3/2020 at 6:39 AM, Parolibre said:

The Voigtlander 50mm 1.2 ASPH current version is an excellent and formidable choice IMO. 

As the OP mentioned lenses at the faster end of the spectrum, the new Voigtlanders are some on the best , so this one would be the 50mm  I would buy today. The 40/1.2 is also very good

If something a bit smaller was desired, then it would be worth waiting for feedback on the new f/1.5. .

• Thanks 1

On 10/3/2020 at 7:42 AM, AndreasG said:

The Summicron 2/50 V4, Made in Canada. It is one of the best 50mm lenses available......It is only slightly surpassed by the APO Summicron...

Having weighed-up various options this was also my choice.

Considering the essential virues (IMO) of performance, size, weight and practicality (and, v's the APO, its price!) it's hard to find anything better. Having said that I must explain that for my 'normal' type of shooting I almost never need anything faster than f2.

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Thanks 3

Thanks all.  For the time being, I went ahead and ordered the TTartisans 50mm f/1.4 for $369 after reading glowing reviews (including a new review on the M Lenses forum), and since the investment is small and 50mm is not my preferred general focal length to shoot.  I'll report back once I get it and use it for a bit...

• Like 1

Be careful with the Summicron DR (same optical formula as the rigid). The close focus mechanism on the DR will not allow you to mount it on a digital M. 

Don Godlberg (DAG) can modify the DR by shaving down the rear close focus cam, but you will lose the second close focus mode

1 hour ago, astrostl said:

ZEISS 50/2 (Planar).

The Zeiss is an excellent lens, if a little contrasty. The new Voightlander f1.5 which the OP mentions and which launches later this month  maybe a good option.

Of course if you want the ultimate for the M10M it has to be the APO Summicron, but it fails the moderately priced test. But if you have 40+ Bayer free pixels.....

Edited by pedaes

If you have that much money to spend, there's 2 options in my opinion.

1. Buy a used summicron in that price range and be done with it. Or look really hard, and get a summilux.

2. Get a couple of nice vintages lenses, such as zeiss opton f1.5/f2 (f2 is supposedly sharper) (with a contax adapter), canon 50/1.4 (which is great), canon 50/1.8, add a voigtlander (1.1, 2.5, 3.5) in the mix, or maybe some other stuff in LTM. If you spend some time, you should be able to get 4-5 lenses if 1500 is your budget.