EXPANDING THE LEICA MARKET: Leica Pricing, Markets Addressed, Economics of New & Used

Tom1234

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

I need to know what 'Euro-Color' is!

See my answer elsewhere, probably above this post, under:  Quote: "What is Euro Color?"  

Sorry, I messed up the forum software quote system, so you are not attached directly to it. 

And when you get the M11 you'll want the M12.

Many people buy every other model, not every model. The M240 was released in 2012 and even if somebody didn't buy it until the end of the run that would be 2017 when the M10 was released. It's now nearly 2021 without any M11 in sight. With a good trade-in value I think Leica users who buy sensibly aren't spending any more than somebody upgrading every two years or less for DSLR or compact system cameras. Of course if you get too far behind in the camera sequence the next purchase becomes more painful, but you've cut back on other things and had time to save up haven't you?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 250swb said:

but you've cut back on other things and had time to save up haven't you?

Yes, I could buy it but getting back to my starting of this Thread, it lacks the features that I need at the price.  I need video too. $5k for still only is insane to me.

1 minute ago, Tom1234 said:

$5k for still only is insane to me.

But not to me and all other buyers of the M10 series. I am so pleased we will never see video in a M camera again. If it is not for you move on, life's too short.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Tom1234 said:

Yes, I could buy it but getting back to my starting of this Thread, it lacks the features that I need at the price.  I need video too. $5k for still only is insane to me.

Not insane, but technically mandated because of heat dissipation problems. Believe me, if Leica had been able to incorporate video, they would have done so, if only to make the camera more attractive in the market. It would be no surprise to me if the M11 had Video again.

24 minutes ago, pedaes said:

But not to me and all other buyers of the M10 series. I am so pleased we will never see video in a M camera again. If it is not for you move on, life's too short.

Why? Would the camera open a little flap, point a little arm with a gun at your head and threaten you to use Video?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Not insane, but technically mandated because of heat dissipation problems. Believe me, if Leica had been able to incorporate video, they would have done so, if only to make the camera more attractive in the market.

You are correct of course.  Guess I will have to buy two cameras.... one for video and one for stills. 

Edited by Tom1234
spelling

46 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Why? Would the camera open a little flap, point a little arm with a gun at your head and threaten you to use Video?

No - but we might end up with a ugly (in my opinion) set of holes in the top plate again for a microphone.

1 hour ago, andybarton said:

It would get lost and they'd charge you £30 for a replacement.

Probably about the right price. I lost the hot shoe cover on my M240, and the replacement cost £33 if I recall correctly.

2 hours ago, jaapv said:

Good Lord - maybe Leica should provide a little cover. 🤩

24 minutes ago, masjah said:

Probably about the right price. I lost the hot shoe cover on my M240, and the replacement cost £33 if I recall correctly.

2 hours ago, andybarton said:

It would get lost and they'd charge you £30 for a replacement.

The little cover… Nikon Parts… AW-1  Winder Cover… Ebay.. I bet I have $500 of this kind of little parts.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

55 minutes ago, 250swb said:

A hot shoe cover is a hot shoe cover, they are all the same size, duh! You can get them off eBay for a few pence and less than $13.99.

Including a bit that covers the hole for the contacts for the EVF like the one for the M240?

• Like 1