Is it still worth keeping an M8? Is it serviceable?

Jman95

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I bought an M8 a few weeks ago and now I’m wondering if I should keep the camera anymore. I know Leica doesn’t replace the sensors on the CCD models anymore and parts for this camera are in short supply so I was wondering if it’s worth keeping or moving to a Fuji X100F.

I love the camera but I don’t want to be stuck with a paperweight if anything goes wrong. I also can’t afford an M240 and they aren’t easy to find here in Canada. The M8 is my only camera at the moment so that’s why I’m concerned.

The M8 is not serviceable for the sensor or the LCD screen anymore. Can be repaired otherwise but the cost of repairs is expensive generally. My M8.2 got the "coffee stain" syndrome a couple years ago but it disappeared by itself and the camera works perfectly since then. I'll keep it as long as it works but i don't plan to have it repaired in case of serious breakdown. If i were in your shoes i would ask to myself if i need a rangefinder. If yes, enjoy it and touch wood. If not, get the Fuji. Just my 2 cts :cool:.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jman95 said:

I bought an M8 a few weeks ago and now I’m wondering if I should keep the camera anymore. I know Leica doesn’t replace the sensors on the CCD models anymore and parts for this camera are in short supply so I was wondering if it’s worth keeping or moving to a Fuji X100F.

I love the camera but I don’t want to be stuck with a paperweight if anything goes wrong. I also can’t afford an M240 and they aren’t easy to find here in Canada. The M8 is my only camera at the moment so that’s why I’m concerned.

There is no way to tell whether anything will stop functioning in the near future, including ourselves, but chances are that it will keep working for many years. Would you give away your dog because you fear that it might die tomorrow?

• Like 9

11 hours ago, Jman95 said:

I wonder why you bought the camera in the first place, it seems you are way too worry about the shutter, service, parts, if it will become a paper weight etc... usually those questions come before the fact.

Buyer’s remorse perhaps?

I enjoy mine and if it fails, it fails. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, rivi1969 said:

I wonder why you bought the camera in the first place, it seems you are way too worry about the shutter, service, parts, if it will become a paper weight etc... usually those questions come before the fact.

Buyer’s remorse perhaps?

I enjoy mine and if it fails, it fails. 

I bought it because I always wanted a digital rangefinder, I had an Epson rd1 earlier this year that randomly stopped working so I assumed the M8 would be less problematic. I only wrote this post to get an opinion, I’m still loving the camera and it hasn’t given me any issues. I just didn’t want to write this post in dpreview because I know people would just bash the M8, even though they haven’t owned one. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, jaapv said:

There is no way to tell whether anything will stop functioning in the near future, including ourselves, but chances are that it will keep working for many years. Would you give away your dog because you fear that it might die tomorrow?

Thanks for the reply, lol jaap I would not give away a dog in fear it may die, that’s ridiculous, But if anything happened to it and the cost to repair was $1000 and I paid $1600 for it that’s a camera in the trash. I’m enjoying my time with it and I plan to I’m just getting an opinion from fellow M users.

I use M10 bodies for my daily work, however I love the M8 cameras for BW personal work. I purchased a few M8s used fairly cheap (in Leica dollars) and treat them as disposable cameras. When I saw a working one for under $1000 I bought it. Meaning that if one goes down and needs a costly repair, it's more economical to just pick up another one and run it until the wheels come off. A non working M8 can be easily sold for $500 on ebay.

I use my cameras hard, and touch wood, I've had no serious issues with them (yet). Use your M8 until it stops working, then just get another one. Prices have inched up in the past year, but I think they'll level out and come down again.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by 84bravo
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Jman95 said:

I bought it because I always wanted a digital rangefinder, I had an Epson rd1 earlier this year that randomly stopped working so I assumed the M8 would be less problematic. I only wrote this post to get an opinion, I’m still loving the camera and it hasn’t given me any issues. I just didn’t want to write this post in dpreview because I know people would just bash the M8, even though they haven’t owned one. 

Most members at DPR Forums sign in just for trolling and discouraging other people to enjoy their gear. But there are nice, experienced people like JDLaing too. Just separate the wheat and enjoy your camera! I will never sell mine.  

Mine has about 5000 exposures and takes fine pics. I used it this AM.  My son has one that probably has 10x that and it still works.

10/12 mp or whatever it has is plenty for most all uses.  To double length or width of a print file,  40 MP are required .  Have a decent computer.  I have taken some M10 files at 24 MP and looked at them on my large screen computer at 2x3 feet enlarged with CS6 and they look as good as small images so you can always use PS to make them larger. 16x20 should be easy. 

I have been playing with Leica 4 decades now and it has always been expensive.  Used stuff seems to always need some repair so any great savings are not there.  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought it last month (October 2020) and the cosmetic is great with fully box and accessories. 

Thanks for the ex-owner keep it best. I understood you. 

if you have only one camera and you concerned about that. i recommend to sell it. 

We won't know the future. 

• Like 1

My M8.2 is functioning just fine.  I have compared its images to those of an M240 of the same thing at the same time.  The M8.2 has the better image as I see things.  I am getting close to the end of the road and hope to not leave too much cash behind.  If this M8.2 were to fail and not be worth repairing I would be prowling for another.  I did not realize the subtle superiority of Leica imaging until I ran the recent test.  And from my limited experience the M8.2 is the best image from an electronic camera by Leica.

What will your M8.2 do if you die before it stops working?

(....but you should probably pick up something to have available just in case it has an issue.)

To the group - there used to be a very good camera repair shop in NYC, "Professional Camera Repair".  I used to go there when necessary.  This is 50 years ago, or more.  On this forum, is there a list of appropriate camera repair shops, to know of, just in case?  There is a huge Leica dealership in Miami - I guess if anything happens, I would go there first to ask what to do.

34 minutes ago, MikeMyers said:

What will your M8.2 do if you die before it stops working?

<snip>

I do not know.  Maybe get another if only as a parts donor.  I am just using it and enjoying it.  I try not to let my life be dominated by unlikely hypotheticals  I am living in the now.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2020 at 10:06 AM, MikeMyers said:

To the group - there used to be a very good camera repair shop in NYC, "Professional Camera Repair".  I used to go there when necessary.  This is 50 years ago, or more.  On this forum, is there a list of appropriate camera repair shops, to know of, just in case?  There is a huge Leica dealership in Miami - I guess if anything happens, I would go there first to ask what to do.

Greets!

Dunno for digital M innards, but these two have serviced my film Ms, including lens calibration & swapping out a fogged viewfinder (M6).

http://www.dagcamera.com/

http://www.sherrykrauter.com/
Maybe best to check with Miami first ;)

hopes you & yours are, and remain healthy,
Dave