strangeboy

Voigtlander Focus Past Infinity

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all. In my search for a small fast 35mm lens for my M-E, I just received a brand new Voigtlander Classic 35mm 1.4 MC II.

First impressions are fairly positive, I really do love the way it renders. However... It seems to focus beyond infinity. Which is to say that the hard stop at infinity is slightly out of focus, and I must back up just a bit to bring everything into focus.

Anyone else experiencing this? This is my first dance with Voigtlander and I'm wondering if it isn't just a quality control issue.

Thoughts?

Infinity is a long way off. Make sure that really focus on something a couple of miles away. 

37 minutes ago, lct said:

At what distance were your subjects standing?

21 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Infinity is a long way off. Make sure that really focus on something a couple of miles away. 

A couple of miles? I seems I've never needed that distance for infinity focus with any of my lenses. But, I also just read that Sherry Krauter recommends at least 200yds. I'll try again tomorrow. Thanx for your replies.

Edited by strangeboy
Misread answers. 🙄

So... tested again today. From my apartment I focused on buildings that are easily 5 miles away. The hard stop at infinity is (as with other subjects) slightly out of focus, backing off brings everything into focus. I'm going to assume that this is a build error, and exchange it for another copy.

1 hour ago, strangeboy said:

All apertures appear the same through the rangefinder... 

What aperture did you shoot the pic that had the out of focus at infinity?

Pardon the delayed response... life.

To clarify:

• Everything viewed through the rangefinder, regardless of distance, is noticeably out of focus at the Infinity stop. Back off of Infinity just a bit and everything comes into focus.
  • At f/5.6 & f/8, all photographs made at Infinity are softer (reminds me of diffraction) than those made when focus ring is just to the left of Infinity.

Camera had a complete CLA and sensor replacement June, 2020, and this doesn't happen with my Zeiss Biogon or Canon 50 LTM.

I'm not a sharpness junkie, I believe it's the least important aspect of my photographs. I don't pixel peep and often don't view my photographs until I'm sitting at my computer with a glass of whiskey. I'd just like the lens to work as it should.

I spoke with Stephen at CameraQuest who said this is unusual, but not unheard of.
We're gonna swap it out for another and see how that goes.

Aside from this minor annoyance, I really enjoy shooting this little thing. 

Edited by strangeboy
additional info.

1 hour ago, strangeboy said:

this doesn't happen with my Zeiss Biogon or Canon 50 LTM.

Lens issue then apparently. I've never seen this out of my M lenses though, including CV 35/1.4 SC v1 and v2. Your new lens will work fine hopefully. Thanks for sharing.

24 minutes ago, lct said:

Lens issue then apparently. I've never seen this out of my M lenses though, including CV 35/1.4 SC v1 and v2. Your new lens will work fine hopefully. Thanks for sharing.

Thanx, I'm sure it will. I almost don't wanna send it back because I was looking forward to spending the day with it on the lakefront. I hate waiting for stuff.

Again, I really dig this lens.
Quick sample images, nothing special...

^Voigtlander Nokton Classic 35mm f/1.4 II MC @ f/1.4

^Voigtlander Nokton Classic 35mm f/1.4 II MC @ f/5.6 (still unpacking from our recent move)

^Voigtlander Nokton Classic 35mm f/1.4 II MC @ f/1.4 (the clarity of the handgrip...)

Edited by strangeboy
file fix

Dear Strangeboy,

I experienced something similar with old Jupiter-8 lens.

At the end I sold the lens and kept the camera :-) 

Photos you posted within this thread are very interesting. I find the rendering of this lens very appealing. Can you post more photos?

I'm thinking to add this lens to my collection. Currently I use 28 Cron, 50 ASPH Lux and 21/4 CV. I must admit CV 21/4 was a pleasant surprise. I bought it in order to experiement  with 21mm angle but at the end I use it as my everyday lens. Very sharp, easy to focus, small and rendering is also nice. The only negative of this lens is IMHO rendering of green scenery.

Can you give me more insight on your Nokton?

Any updates on the replacement lens? Was there any difference?

In my experience, most rangefinder lenses are ever so slightly out of focus in the rangefinder patch at the infinity hard stop. When you scale focus back a mm or less, the rangefinder aligns. I've experienced this with a 50mm summicron V5, ZM, and VM lenses... basically every rangefinder lens I've ever used, on 3 different cameras.