Shall I Consolidate the number Leica M cameras I own?

M10Alpine

59 minutes ago, M10Alpine said:

UPDATE from the other side of my 50th birthday. I try to make sens of this, its really difficult to sell a Leica Lens emotionally. 

Leica Q - Keep
Leica M10-D - Sell
Leica M10 Monochrome - Keep
Leica M7 - Keep
Leica MP - Keep

1.     28mm Konica M - Hexanon f2.8 – Sell or shelf? 

2.     28mm f2 APOQUALIA-G – 005 Black Paint – Keep 

3.     35mm Summilux Madler Version 2 pre ASPH – (11870) Walter Madler –  Keep

4.     35mm Summicron Version III (11309) –  Keep

5.     35mm Summicron – Version IV "King of Bokhe" – Sell

6.     35mm Summicron Black Paint, Version V  12/50 Ara Guler “Istanbul” – Keep

7.     35mm Summilux ASPH FLE (11663) - ? not sure but keep I guess

8.     35mm Color Skopar f.2.5 - Sell

9.     40mm Nocton Voigtländer - Sell

10.  50mm Summilux - Version II – (1966) Serie (11113) - Keep

11.  50mm Summicron APO (11141) – Keep or sell? I’m not very attached to this lens at all but it’s nice to have…

12.  50mm Canon F1.8 from 1954 LTM – Keep

13.  Noctilux Heritage f1.2 - Buying

I'd like the way you use your lenses.

Keep the APO for a while until you're pretty sure that it could be replace by equivalence. It's compact and the QoI is outstanding on M10M.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M10Alpine said:

UPDATE from the other side of my 50th birthday. I try to make sens of this, its really difficult to sell a Leica Lens emotionally. 

Leica Q - Keep
Leica M10-D - Sell
Leica M10 Monochrome - Keep
Leica M7 - Keep
Leica MP - Keep

1.     28mm Konica M - Hexanon f2.8 – Sell or shelf? 

2.     28mm f2 APOQUALIA-G – 005 Black Paint – Keep 

3.     35mm Summilux Madler Version 2 pre ASPH – (11870) Walter Madler –  Keep

4.     35mm Summicron Version III (11309) –  Keep

5.     35mm Summicron – Version IV "King of Bokhe" – Sell

6.     35mm Summicron Black Paint, Version V  12/50 Ara Guler “Istanbul” – Keep

7.     35mm Summilux ASPH FLE (11663) - ? not sure but keep I guess

8.     35mm Color Skopar f.2.5 - Sell

9.     40mm Nocton Voigtländer - Sell

10.  50mm Summilux - Version II – (1966) Serie (11113) - Keep

11.  50mm Summicron APO (11141) – Keep or sell? I’m not very attached to this lens at all but it’s nice to have…

12.  50mm Canon F1.8 from 1954 LTM – Keep

13.  Noctilux Heritage f1.2 - Buying

Did you go though all of this just to feel less guilty about sneaking in a new Noctilux?  😁

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Did you go though all of this just to feel less guilty about sneaking in a new Noctilux?  😁

Jeff

I love 50mm - think it was a misstake of a lifetime to sell the Noctilux f1 and the Summilux ASPH, so when I got a chance to snag the new Noctilux F1.2 to me that like the prefect slot in lens between a Noctilux and Summilux ASPH. One lens in two for me. 50mm  is my preferred focal length even if I have a more 35mm. I like 35mm for traveling. 

Nut yes I do feel a bit guilty. But as its been said Leica lenses are a solid investment. 

2 hours ago, M10Alpine said:

I love 50mm - think it was a misstake of a lifetime to sell the Noctilux f1 and the Summilux ASPH... I like 35mm for traveling...
Nut yes I do feel a bit guilty. But as its been said Leica lenses are a solid investment. 

As far as I can tell, no crimes were committed, no abominations were perpetuated against humanity. 

Life is short - don't fret, enjoy your lenses.  😎

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1

Love how the New Noctilux is tacked on the end. Are you hoping no one will notice? It makes me think this is a great way to hide new lens purchases from a spouse - a bit like that gambling game they play on the streets with three or four cups and a nut.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, Dr No said:

Love how the New Noctilux is tacked on the end. Are you hoping no one will notice? It makes me think this is a great way to hide new lens purchases from a spouse - a bit like that gambling game they play on the streets with three or four cups and a nut.

My wife actually paid the deposit as I was away. Still guilty pleasures are probably hidden away subconsciously down at the bottom..... 

I'm striving for a perfectly balance and versatile collection of usable Leica set up's  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, M10Alpine said:

My wife actually paid the deposit as I was away. Still guilty pleasures are probably hidden away subconsciously down at the bottom..... 

I'm striving for a perfectly balance and versatile collection of usable Leica set up's  

It sounds like you're one your way. Enjoy it!

18 hours ago, M10Alpine said:

She's a keeper - a true Leica Wife!

11 hours ago, ravinj said:

Truly grateful for this thread...I don't feel guilty anymore with my collection at hand.  

I hope its more significant than my "mish mash" of collection - Its not a collection is more an attempt to find my footing and a few lovely setups and in the future start a more concentrated collection. 

My to HAVE (😂) to buy list for my collections is very ambitious 

• Haha 1

On 1/6/2021 at 8:40 AM, M10Alpine said:

I hope its more significant than my "mish mash" of collection - Its not a collection is more an attempt to find my footing and a few lovely setups and in the future start a more concentrated collection. 

My to HAVE (😂) to buy list for my collections is very ambitious 

It is not significant by any means.

I now have 24 Elmar M, 35 FLE, 50 APO, ZM 35 F1.4 (my favorite lens in any mount by far) and ZM 85. M240, M10-P and Q2

This is what I feel is a manageable kit (for me), though with Q2 in the mix I feel most of the other stuff is redundant, at least from 28mm-50mm.  

On 1/5/2021 at 2:51 AM, Herr Barnack said:

As far as I can tell, no crimes were committed, no abominations were perpetuated against humanity. 

Life is short - don't fret, enjoy your lenses.  😎

As someone said to me on another forum, 'Life is too short to be shooting with 7TTFArtisans'. 😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, ravinj said:

It is not significant by any means.

I now have 24 Elmar M, 35 FLE, 50 APO, ZM 35 F1.4 (my favorite lens in any mount by far) and ZM 85. M240, M10-P and Q2. 

This is what I feel is a manageable kit (for me), though with Q2 in the mix I feel most of the other stuff is redundant, at least from 28mm-50mm. 

The Zeiss Distagon 35 looks set to become one of my favourite lenses, along with the Summicron 50 and Biogon 21. The more I shoot with the Distagon, the more I like it. Nothing wrong with having a good kit of lenses which allows you to select the focal length and rendering that you want for any given situation. Or at least, that's how I'm justifying it to myself.

On 9/29/2020 at 6:47 PM, M10Alpine said:

I love Leicas for may reasons and photography is pure joy, but its a hobby. I buy way too much Leica stuff, all for the M system. Lenses and bodies. Now here is my current and possibly flawed thought process. If one like me own too many M bodies and lenses there is no focus. No structure. Digital, film, monochrome. I think having too many options is making me less focused on what matters, just go out and take pictures and have fun. So I'm thinking of selling some stuff off. But what and why? Ok I might not have that much, but I'm not collecting, I just buy what I like to use. Or think I want to use...

I have the following: 

Leica Q
Leica M10-D
Leica M10 Monochrome
Leica M7
Leica MP

I have the following Leica lenses: 

28mm Konica M - Hexanon f2.8

35mm Summilux ASPH FLE
35mm Summilux Madler V2 pre ASPH
35mm Summicron - "King of Bokhe"
35mm Summicron Black Paint 12/50 Limited edition
35mm Summicron III - I think its a pretty useful lens but nothing special with its character 
35mm Color Skopar f.2.5

40mm Nocton Voigtländer

50mm Summicron APO
50mm Cannon F1.8 from 1954 LTM

What I'm thinking of is ditching: M10-D, the 35mm Summilux ASPH - FLE, 35mm Summicron III - in theory I could also sell the M7 Body and the 35mm Corn IV and / or the 35mm LUX pre ASPH... The Q I have had since released so I might as well keep it. 

I would then have the following set up / pairing: 

A) M10 Monochrome with the 50mm APO + the 50mm Cannon LTM

B ) MP with the 35mm Summicron ASPH in black paint. This is my dream combo coming true

C) M7 with either the 35mm Summilux (Madler) V2 pre ASP 35mm Summicron IV "King of Bokhe"

D) The Q for color digital

Fire off your comments and Ideas. I'm not selling because I need the money, I'm selling to focus on photography rather than gear. Less is more. Fewer better things. 

M10 Alpine,

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread and looking at your photos.

My advise: Sell nothing! I think at heart you are both a collector and a photographer so start taking your collecting more seriously.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kwesi said:

M10 Alpine,

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread and looking at your photos.

My advise: Sell nothing! I think at heart you are both a collector and a photographer so start taking your collecting more seriously.

Well your are probably right, I should start collecting more seriously. I actually manage to go the other way totally. Not only did I sneak in the new Noctilux, I cant not resist buying an Anthracite MP (limited to 600) but I'm between a user one with some scratches on and a mint. Would be kind of Coll to have a user MP even if its insanely expensive in user condition. 

Collecting is dangerous, I have a pretty significant art collection, only photography....  I can see this go overboard. But I would distinguish between collecting / investing in Leica and user Leica gear. Not sure what the best way to go about this. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2020 at 12:04 AM, wattsy said:

Perhaps another 35mm lens?

Update.... From the dark side

1. I put the M10D up for sale at 5000€ with a few fishing for a barging. I will not sell it for less, then I might as well keep it. 

2. I did also put my 50mm APO up for sale at4700€, we never bonded and in two years I cant think of a single picture that made me extra happy with that lens. I had the 50mm Summilux before and I actually think that I like the output better from the LUX. 

3. I did not manage to stay entirely sober all weekend so today I came back home with a Titanium 35mm Summilux pre asph without my wife even noticing. I did trade it plus cash for my Summicron "KOB " or Version 4

4. Bought a Leica MP Anthracite - I know I have a Black Paint, but this is in user condign kind of...

5. Today I was offered a M2 in Black paint at a resonable price. Things can still go bad Loog time until Monday.

Edited by M10Alpine
  • Like 1

You are missing a hammertone MP. If necessary, trade in the Anthracite MP. I vastly prefer the hammertone (somewhat controversially for some) :)

The full hammertone set with 35 Summicron, hood and Leicavit is worth pursuing IMO. I remember when these were available for under $10k AUD. Ahhh, memories..... ;)

Edited by Mute-on
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mute-on said:

You are missing a hammertone MP. If necessary, trade in the Anthracite MP. I vastly prefer the hammertone (somewhat controversially for some) :)

There is hammertone in Japan for 22.000 USD compete set. This list is not about what we miss, its about consolidating what I have. My wish list is very different from this list.... Might have sell one of my wifes Birkin bags to fund my wishes. I'm sure she would not notice.