M10Alpine

Shall I Consolidate the number Leica M cameras I own?

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

13 hours ago, jaapv said:

Additional thought:if striving for focus is your intention, set yourself a project maybe even a photobook, and limit the gear that you are “allowed” to use for it. 

The irony is that the focal length I like best is 50mm. But with M10M 35mm was can be cropped so well its almost no point in the 50mm. Or I might be wrong. I actually rarely crop.

But this 35mm obsession needs to stop. I really should get a 50mm Summilux, I regret selling that one, I actually think I liked the results better from the Summilux than the what I get out of my 50mm Corn APO. I have never had that APO / Monochrome WOW Fc...uk me sideways moment. 

- This weekend I have the M10D with the. 35mm Summilux V2 with me and the. M10M and the 50mm APO. I might revise that and just bring one camera. 

I realise that I must sound nuts or at least somewhat neurotic about all this, are not most Leica owners somewhat neurotic about the gear? 😂🤯

Edited by M10Alpine

On 9/29/2020 at 4:38 PM, OR120 said:

my thoughts are always the same --- sell the bodies -- keep the lenses - 

don't carry a lot of gear with you when you go out to shoot -- keep it simple - that will help you focus

that's what I do so - it works for me -

I always regret selling  (Leica)  lenses

good luck - you have nice gear

I would amend that to "sell the digital bodies -- keep the lenses" - all within reason, of course.

It's yours to sell of course but if its not necessary, I would just keep it all, you'll just lose money on it. Select one camera and lens for now and store the rest until you want to use it again.  

On 9/30/2020 at 5:43 AM, Herr Barnack said:

just keep everything and carry only one body and one or two lenses when you are out shooting for the day.  Having a comprehensive kit is no crime; just don't try to carry it all with you when you go out to shoot.

I try to go out with one camera / one lens, although I have too many bodies (my film Ms gather dust since I have babies at home (lack of time) and the M10M), and a bunch of Lenses I use regularly as they are all different !

Most of the time I either take the M10M with a lens (35 or 50, sometimes lux 75) or the SL with the lux 50 SL if I want color.

Just change the Lens regularly to train differently :) 

How about a more mechanical approach ?

Make an Excel spreadsheet and record how much you actually use each piece of equipment.  Whatever is at the bottom of the list needs to get sold.  

If you find something not getting used but you can't bring yourself to sell it anyway, you now know that your are a collector rather than a photographer. :)

Nothing wrong with that of course, but it helps to know where your interests really fall so you can concentrate in that direction.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a lot of camera gear.. not all Leica but I have over 30 lenses and 6 different bodies...

I also have a spreadsheet that keeps track of my equipment... just for record keeping. 

for me having “a lot” of gear isn’t really a problem, I just have a structured “rotation policy” .. so every week I choose a different body and lens combination that I use and stick to and I cycle through my gear that way.  It brings joy in a sense that I can either make it “easy” or “hard”

As an example: I could choose a camera and lens combination that may not be suitable for the situation. A 50mm lens maybe “too tight” + low light conditions .. so paired with my M9 it’s a perfect challenge... 

I rotate my gear in way to avoid...

1) bringing too much gear

2) having the feeling that I made the wrong gear selection for my outing.. e.g oh the 35mm would have been a better choice

3) questioning the fact why I have so many gear 

So when I am out and about shooting I can actually focus and enjoy the “challenge” by being limited in my selection and just focus on what I have on hand.

personally I am not big on selling or down sizing, but if there is an equipment that I have tried and tried.. and realised that it’s not for me..e.g. super zooms, telephoto zooms.. that’s when I have to sell... as it doesn’t bring joy. 

7 hours ago, didier said:

I try to go out with one camera / one lens, although I have too many bodies (my film Ms gather dust since I have babies at home (lack of time) and the M10M), and a bunch of Lenses I use regularly as they are all different !

Most of the time I either take the M10M with a lens (35 or 50, sometimes lux 75) or the SL with the lux 50 SL if I want color.

Just change the Lens regularly to train differently :) 

Exactly the way I work and enjoy photography. Pick a camera and lens combination and go out with only that.  Focus on what could work with this combo and adapt your photography to just the limitations the combo tells you.  

When I go out with the M10M and the vintage Thambar for example I focus on the creativity this particular B&W combo is offering me at that moment.  I’m not the multi tasking guy that when  I see during these outdoor adventures also a nice group of morels or other mushrooms I’m ready to setup tripod, SL2 an a 100 R macro elmarit.  I’m not into macro at that moment. Another day maybe.  So different camera body lens combo’s work well for me, but please one at a time.  Not a bag full of different bodies and lenses.

Go to Lightroom or your photo software of choice and count the number of time you used each camera and lens. 

You will get an idea of your preferred body and lens. Then imagine what it would have been like to take the other pictures with this selection.  

If you can’t live with this limitation, then don’t sell. 

Edited by rramesh

On 11/19/2020 at 4:39 PM, Good To Be Retired said:

How about a more mechanical approach ?

Make an Excel spreadsheet and record how much you actually use each piece of equipment.  Whatever is at the bottom of the list needs to get sold.  

If you find something not getting used but you can't bring yourself to sell it anyway, you now know that your are a collector rather than a photographer. :)

Nothing wrong with that of course, but it helps to know where your interests really fall so you can concentrate in that direction.

I truly appreciate your comment. I love pictures. I love taking pictures. I love looking at them. I collect contemporary photo art. But your words hit home. 

vor 26 Minuten schrieb M10Alpine:

I truly appreciate your comment. I love pictures. I love taking pictures. I love looking at them. I collect contemporary photo art. But your words hit home. 

I believe I bought about 12 ( or thirteen , I lost count ) bodies and 14 lenses  ( 21, 28,35,35,35,35,50,50,90,90,90,90,90, 24 ),the last 20 years. M6's black, titan, chrome, traveller, M6TTL black 0,58,Chrome 0,72 0,85 , M6TTL die Lezten  Chrome MP chrome 3x and M8,9,10 240 

The fun of selling bodies and lenses was rewarding.  Nowadays I have two bodies and 6 lenses. The lenses that are most dearest to me, are the ones I have made beautiful pictures with. I have made beautiful pictures mostly with my 50mm lens and especially my summicron 50mm Canadian. This also happens to be my very first lens.

So my advice: Stick to you first lens, as long as it is a real Leica lens. Sell the lot and keep selling and buying for as long as you like it!

Ready, Steady, Go completely tech- digital modern! Why not change it up and start with technical perfection in-camera. You can always post edit "character to taste" if you are feeling reminiscent.

Keep:

+The Q 

+The 50/2 APO and the 35 FLE/ASPH 

+M10-M

Sell everything else

Buy:

+M10-R

Move forward with:

+ Leica Q for 28mm and AF

+ Leica M10-R and M10-M currently the hottest pair of Rangefinders on the planet!

+ 50/2 APO + 35/1.4 FLE (both current technical M best in their respective FLs) 

+ Bonus recommendation: Buy the no-longer produced Summilux 24,  just because its an awesome lens that nobody else owns or uses ( except me) so you will have a unique perspective to your wide angles perspectives without the 21mm alien stretch 😜

P.S. Let me know if you need a most worthy bag for moving forward...

P.S.ssst... The Oberwerth William messenger with extra carry handle and additional pads cuboid (2 pieces) so the M10-M and M10-R ride lens mounted in handmade, tumbled full grain German cow-hide leather 🤩

M10Alpine - Sorry, but this thread doesn't make sense to me; but, neither do any of the threads in which people ask other people to recommend what photo equipment to chose: the people who give you advice have no clue what your photography is like, and you have no clue what the photography of the person making the recommendation is like either; it become the blind leading the blind.

Also, the idea of keeping a spreadsheet on what one uses strikes me as the wrong approach. The important thing in making a choice every time you go out the door is not which is the turn of a particular camera or lens but what you feel like taking that particular day.

It would appear you buy on impulse and not what you need for your work.   Figure what your work is, landscape,  street candids, portraits, and determine what equipment is needed.  Put the rest away for a while then decide buy/sell.  

Who needs all those 35mm lenses?

If you can not do that,  make up a kit of 35/50/90 and store the rest.  Go from there. 

On 9/29/2020 at 4:47 PM, M10Alpine said:

Leica Q
Leica M10-D
Leica M10 Monochrome
Leica M7
Leica MP
28mm Konica M - Hexanon f2.8
35mm Summilux ASPH FLE
35mm Summilux Madler V2 pre ASPH
35mm Summicron - "King of Bokhe"
35mm Summicron Black Paint 12/50 Limited edition
35mm Summicron III - I think its a pretty useful lens but nothing special with its character 
35mm Color Skopar f.2.5
40mm Nocton Voigtländer
50mm Summicron APO
50mm Cannon F1.8 from 1954 LTM

This is a lot of gear: a  couple of extra cameras, too many 35mm .. and I guess it's time to sell. That's why I liked your post. You did the right thing to create the post. And you are still on time to do the right thing, haha. I would suggest to keep only the following items and just become a fabulous M photographer. 

• Leica M10-D 
  • Leica M10 Monochrome 
  • Leica MP 
  • Three 35 Leica 
  • 40mm 
  • The two 50mm 

If you don't use all this gear, it's a shame to keep it all. Sell it. And don't buy absolutely nothing for a while until you practice a lot and you master everything you have, or you just enjoy so much using it. Put all the money you got from selling in a folder and don't touch it. Until when you mastered (and of course used) all your gear, you can think about a new lens/camera. This is my suggestion for you.

I'm a professional photographer; I live thanks to photography: shooting and educating. It's my hobby too 😬. And all my gear is: 

2 Nikon DSLR + 5 lenses (My work kit)

One Leica M10 + 3 lenses (for everything else) 

When I sell a camera/lens is for three reasons only: The product becomes obsolete, or I need to upgrade. Finally, also when because the shutter dies 🤷‍♂️ And it always feels good, because you used it, you finished it, and it ^%#$& worthed!

Edited by Dennis

On 11/25/2020 at 2:10 AM, Dennis said:

This is a lot of gear: a  couple of extra cameras, too many 35mm .. and I guess it's time to sell. That's why I liked your post. You did the right thing to create the post. And you are still on time to do the right thing, haha. I would suggest to keep only the following items and just become a fabulous M photographer. 

• Leica M10-D 
  • Leica M10 Monochrome 
  • Leica MP 
  • Three 35 Leica 
  • 40mm 
  • The two 50mm 

If you don't use all this gear, it's a shame to keep it all. Sell it. And don't buy absolutely nothing for a while until you practice a lot and you master everything you have, or you just enjoy so much using it. Put all the money you got from selling in a folder and don't touch it. Until when you mastered (and of course used) all your gear, you can think about a new lens/camera. This is my suggestion for you.

I'm a professional photographer; I live thanks to photography: shooting and educating. It's my hobby too 😬. And all my gear is: 

2 Nikon DSLR + 5 lenses (My work kit)

One Leica M10 + 3 lenses (for everything else) 

When I sell a camera/lens is for three reasons only: The product becomes obsolete, or I need to upgrade. Finally, also when because the shutter dies 🤷‍♂️ And it always feels good, because you used it, you finished it, and it ^%#$& worthed!

Ohhhh SHIT - well you have an interesting suggestion, I will think about it. Since creating the post I bought two more lenses a MS Optics Black Paint 28mm f2 and a vintage (11114) Leica Summilux 50mm from 1966.  at the Leitz Auction. I also tried but failed to buy another MP at the Auction. 

I blame this purchases on our Supreme Leader in the People's Republic of France the EU equivalent of North Korea. I think I'm suffering from depression. I'm serious, its super sad. We had 70 day lockdown in the spring and now another 80 day. 

I cant for the love of my life sell the M7. Impossible - I rather die. I'm anything but a professional photographer, I only ever sold one picture and I donate the money. to the American Alpine Club. 

If I really confront myself in all honesty, I like B&W and film best. 

The 40mm I really don't like at all, I don't know what it is about it but its really not nice. 

3 Leica 35mm I agree with....

M10D not sure I actually want to keep it. 

Portra 400 and Leica MA.... Sold.... 35mm Corn

Edited by M10Alpine

49 minutes ago, M10Alpine said:

I cant for the love of my life sell the M7. Impossible -
M10D not sure I actually want to keep it. 

Great! So, if it's still interesting my option, go for it. Soooo ... 

• Leica M10 Monochrome 
  • Leica M7 
  • Three 35 Leica 
  • The two 50mm 

Like a KING ... but w/o bokeh 😂 Well, depending which 35mm you chose to keep 🤔 And sell the rest.

Edited by Dennis