Shall I Consolidate the number Leica M cameras I own?

M10Alpine

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, carlosmcse said:

And that’s all it is. Just getting gear for fun. No need to ask for opinions. Just get it. 

I let my needs dictate my gear. Right now my gear meets all my needs. 1 camera 2 lenses. 

99% of people on this forum probably don’t “need” the gear they have (most certainly including me) as they’re not pro photographers and don’t “need” it to make a living. So that’s not really relevant. 

Now, what we want is another issue altogether 😆

19 minutes ago, carlosmcse said:

If I want to eat soup, I need a spoon. I don’t want a spoon, I need a spoon. And nobody pays me to eat soup.

Nobody forced you to get a Leica spoon. You decided you wanted a Leica spoon, as we all did. Some of us like to use a variety of spoons depending on the soup we are eating. A consommé may require a different spoon from a gazpacho. You can eat both with the same spoon, but that doesn’t mean you can’t choose a different spoon for one or the other.

Or … perhaps you could just take a picture of the soup with your phone and post it on Instagram. No need for a spoon at all … 

;)

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, carlosmcse said:

If I want to eat soup, I need a spoon. I don’t want a spoon, I need a spoon. And nobody pays me to eat soup.

I never understood the people who join gear forums to say gear is nothing. 
Next post will be the usual “it’s not about the camera it’s about the photographer bla bla bla …..” 

Sure, we don’t need many camera bodies, but how does that bother people if we do. We don’t need to have paintings on our walls, but if we enjoy what’s the problem 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, carlosmcse said:

No. I bought Leica because it’s the only company that makes a mechanical rangefinder full frame digital camera. There is no choice. 

And the rest of the drivel is repeating my point. 

Gee, and I thought it was introducing a little levity to an unnecessarily serious discussion. 

We are here become we enjoy photography and using Leica cameras. It’s meant to be fun :)

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, carlosmcse said:

and nobody can tell the difference between a B&W converted shot and a monochrome Leica shot.  

True, but one reason some use a Monochrom is for the different shooting/thinking experience.  That’s why I own both. In practice, I actually have more rendering flexibility (ending in print) with my color based M, due to potential use of color channels in post, but the workflow/experience is sometimes less satisfying and productive. Not a need; just a matter of preferences.  After decades with b/w film and darkroom, I used to think that I could ‘see in b/w’ equally effectively using a color or monochrome based camera, but my experience with digital and the Monochrom suggested otherwise.

That said, I’ve thought about ditching the Monochrom and sticking with my color based M, just because there’s something to the ‘less is more’, KISS philosophy for me.  If I never shot for color output, I might keep the Monochrom and sell the M10.

No right or wrong. It’s a creative endeavor, not subject to strict rules or singular beliefs.  How boring that would be.

Jeff

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 hours ago, Mute-on said:

Gee, and I thought it was introducing a little levity to an unnecessarily serious discussion. 

We are here become we enjoy photography and using Leica cameras. It’s meant to be fun :)

Perhaps the moderators could consider splitting the forum in two halves, the real serious photographers with highly artistic halo and ambition and the from GAS suffering, pets photographing and endlessly comparing camera’s and lenses for the last extra bit of image character types. Now that would give serious discussions.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, otto.f said:

Perhaps the moderators could consider splitting the forum in two halves, the real serious photographers with highly artistic halo and ambition and the from GAS suffering, pets photographing and endlessly comparing camera’s and lenses for the last extra bit of image character types. Now that would give serious discussions.

I wonder which side of that I would land on ! 

• Haha 1

vor 2 Stunden schrieb otto.f:

Many forum members would find themselves in both sections, such as me and@Steven and many others I`m just thinking of. So what would this help ?

Edited by Wonzo

Happily, we are all different but if we are here (in this forum discussions),

we may have something to share, or we have something in common.

Some of us would be interested on hardware, that is fine for me.

Some of us would say that the most important is the pictures from the hardware, that is also fine for me.

And so many in between or the two, that is fine 😇.

Let's have pacifically opinions and discussions.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, otto.f said:

3 hours ago, Steven said:

I wonder which side of that I would land on ! 

Neither I hope Steven - I'm sure I wouldn't anyway!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 9 months later...

I haven't posted in a while as my neurotic relationship with traders, auctions and collecting was put aside as work overwhelmed me on the back of the Russian invasion of Ukraine.  I think to be brutally hones that its very difficult to collect Leicas, for a few reasons. A) Why? B ) What to collect? C) interest changes D) The meaningless babying

So as I have ventilated here, I have come to the conclusion that I cant really answer why I obsess over collecting Leica's. Nor can I say what I really want to collect. The only thing I know is that I don't want to collect Leicas I can't use for fear of scratching. 

So I have sold a fair amount of my dream cameras. I still have 7 MP's - the MA Titanium, a M7 Betribesk and a bunch of Cool Leica lenses I can use. In the pas weeks I let go of of 5 MP's a M7 BP and a few rare lenses. I basically just cleaned out double and dust collecting Leicas I had to put on gloves to handel them. 

I now have a sound small and significantly reduced collection of Leicas and I have them because I want them, not because they are the coolest collectors items. I can alos use them all. 

Sending two big boxes away was not at all sad nor do I think I will regret selling any of the items I sold. 

My personal lesson from this ongoing process is that you can collect Leicas and still buy collectables that you can enjoy. For me who travels around 200 days a year it was depressing to stop by at home and see them in a cabinet or even worse just look at the safe with no time to take them out. 

My conclusion is that I will keep buying and collecting rare Leica's but only if I feel I can go out and use them. 

oh and of course I ende up buying the M10D again.... Hopes love affair. I was lucky and found a factory copy boxed for nothing.... In relative terms. I stayed with my M10R Black paint as I don't like the M11 without base plate. And my Monochromes will never be sold. 

Actually my first ever Leica was M9 monochrome- thats how I ende up in the Leica orbit.

Edited by M10Alpine
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Vinncent said:

That would be too many for me. I just have

- 1 M10R and

- 2 lenses (28f2 Ultron and the 50 Summicron)

The lenses don’t overlap, and I don’t need more than 1 body and a couple of lenses for a hobby. 

It’s fine that your hobby is Leica collecting and not necessarily photography. That’s fair enough. 

Agreed on the M10R and the M11. 

Oh I shoot as much as I can, film mostly and Monochrome during the dark months.