Shall I Consolidate the number Leica M cameras I own?

M10Alpine

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I love Leicas for may reasons and photography is pure joy, but its a hobby. I buy way too much Leica stuff, all for the M system. Lenses and bodies. Now here is my current and possibly flawed thought process. If one like me own too many M bodies and lenses there is no focus. No structure. Digital, film, monochrome. I think having too many options is making me less focused on what matters, just go out and take pictures and have fun. So I'm thinking of selling some stuff off. But what and why? Ok I might not have that much, but I'm not collecting, I just buy what I like to use. Or think I want to use...

I have the following: 

Leica Q
Leica M10-D
Leica M10 Monochrome
Leica M7
Leica MP

I have the following Leica lenses: 

28mm Konica M - Hexanon f2.8

35mm Summilux ASPH FLE
35mm Summilux Madler V2 pre ASPH
35mm Summicron - "King of Bokhe"
35mm Summicron Black Paint 12/50 Limited edition
35mm Summicron III - I think its a pretty useful lens but nothing special with its character 
35mm Color Skopar f.2.5

40mm Nocton Voigtländer

50mm Summicron APO
50mm Cannon F1.8 from 1954 LTM

What I'm thinking of is ditching: M10-D, the 35mm Summilux ASPH - FLE, 35mm Summicron III - in theory I could also sell the M7 Body and the 35mm Corn IV and / or the 35mm LUX pre ASPH... The Q I have had since released so I might as well keep it. 

I would then have the following set up / pairing: 

A) M10 Monochrome with the 50mm APO + the 50mm Cannon LTM

B ) MP with the 35mm Summicron ASPH in black paint. This is my dream combo coming true

C) M7 with either the 35mm Summilux (Madler) V2 pre ASP 35mm Summicron IV "King of Bokhe"

D) The Q for color digital

Fire off your comments and Ideas. I'm not selling because I need the money, I'm selling to focus on photography rather than gear. Less is more. Fewer better things. 

Edited by M10Alpine
  • Like 2

my thoughts are always the same --- sell the bodies -- keep the lenses - 

don't carry a lot of gear with you when you go out to shoot -- keep it simple - that will help you focus

that's what I do so - it works for me -

I always regret selling  (Leica)  lenses

good luck - you have nice gear

Edited by OR120
sp
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

If you still refer to a lens as ‘King of Bokeh’ (a moniker that even its originator, Mike Johnston, now refutes) every time you mention it, maybe you own it more for  reputation than practical usage.  If so, maybe no need to keep.  Otherwise, we have no clue about your photographic needs, wants or tastes. You could always lock some gear in a cabinet and use the rest. 

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

I would sell the M7, the 35mm Summilux ASPH - FLE and the 35mm Summicron III - - - and possibly the M10D if you are seriously into black and white photography. 

That way, you would have a film M, the Q for color work and a nice stable of M lenses to choose from for use with your M10 Mono.

Or you could just keep everything and carry only one body and one or two lenses when you are out shooting for the day.  Having a comprehensive kit is no crime; just don't try to carry it all with you when you go out to shoot.

JMHO.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, M10Alpine said:

I love Leicas for may reasons and photography is pure joy, but its a hobby. I buy way too much Leica stuff, all for the M system. Lenses and bodies. Now here is my current and possibly flawed thought process. If one like me own too many M bodies and lenses there is no focus. No structure. Digital, film, monochrome. I think having too many options is making me less focused on what matters, just go out and take pictures and have fun. So I'm thinking of selling some stuff off. But what and why? Ok I might not have that much, but I'm not collecting, I just buy what I like to use. Or think I want to use...

I have the following: 

Leica Q
Leica M10-D
Leica M10 Monochrome
Leica M7
Leica MP

I have the following Leica lenses: 

28mm Konica M - Hexanon f2.8

35mm Summilux ASPH FLE
35mm Summilux Madler V2 pre ASPH
35mm Summicron - "King of Bokhe"
35mm Summicron Black Paint 12/50 Limited edition
35mm Summicron III - I think its a pretty useful lens but nothing special with its character 
35mm Color Skopar f.2.5

40mm Nocton Voigtländer

50mm Summicron APO
50mm Cannon F1.8 from 1954 LTM

What I'm thinking of is ditching: M10-D, the 35mm Summilux ASPH - FLE, 35mm Summicron III - in theory I could also sell the M7 Body and the 35mm Corn IV and / or the 35mm LUX pre ASPH... The Q I have had since released so I might as well keep it. 

I would then have the following set up / pairing: 

A) M10 Monochrome with the 50mm APO + the 50mm Cannon LTM

B ) MP with the 35mm Summicron ASPH in black paint. This is my dream combo coming true

C) M7 with either the 35mm Summilux (Madler) V2 pre ASP 35mm Summicron IV "King of Bokhe"

D) The Q for color digital

Fire off your comments and Ideas. I'm not selling because I need the money, I'm selling to focus on photography rather than gear. Less is more. Fewer better things. 

I wish I was your insurance agent    L

• Haha 5

7 hours ago, Jeff S said:

If you still refer to a lens as ‘King of Bokeh’ (a moniker that even its originator, Mike Johnston, now refutes) every time you mention it, maybe you own it more for  reputation than practical usage.  If so, maybe no need to keep.  Otherwise, we have no clue about your photographic needs, wants or tastes. You could always lock some gear in a cabinet and use the rest. 

Jeff

I have have a hard time remembering the various versions so I simply call it the "king" - its a fantastic lens, love how soft it is. I value small compact lenses, I think thats obvious from what I own. I had and sold the Noctilux f1 and the Summilux 21mm because I thought they where. to big and heavy. 

As for needs, its a hobby. So technically I could survive on a Gontax and my Q. I like to go on vacations and just shoot, no real tourism, so I pick places where. I can do photography and eat well... I think I enjoy film more than digital. I usually don't go out without a camera even at home. I like having a camera with me. I don't always take pictures but sometimes I do. 

I hav a very stressful job so I always bring two cameras and and go and do street or war zone photography (I work in Africa, the Middle East and South America) when I need to empty my brain. I work with peace talks in extremely hostile environments and I do hostage negotiations. So its nice to have something to take my mind off work. Thats my photographic needs. 

• Like 7

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

I would sell the M7, the 35mm Summilux ASPH - FLE and the 35mm Summicron III - - - and possibly the M10D if you are seriously into black and white photography. 

That way, you would have a film M, the Q for color work and a nice stable of M lenses to choose from for use with your M10 Mono.

Or you could just keep everything and carry only one body and one or two lenses when you are out shooting for the day.  Having a comprehensive kit is no crime; just don't try to carry it all with you when you go out to shoot.

JMHO.

Oh - I don't carry it all at the same time. I usually have the M10-D and the M7 and a 35mm with loaded TriX with me when I travel for work. 

The M10 Monochrome I keep at home with the APO. 

The rest is in the safe at home. 

2 hours ago, lykaman said:

I wish I was your insurance agent    L

Funny - in France they refuse to insure any camera equipment so its all uninsured... ☠️🤯Its scary to think of actually. I have had most of this stuff in Maiduguri, Nigeria, Bamako, South Sudan, North East Kenya, Ethiopia, DRC, Venezuela, Bogota, Cucuta, Mexico, Yemen, Lebanon, Syria, Somalia etc. Never had anything stolen. I was robbed last year in Bogota with my M10-D and the 50mm APO around my neck but they only wanted cash, not even my Iphone was taken. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

JMHO.

Thats an interesting concept 

Firstly, you should never sell a Leica lens, at least not one that is out of current production. 

As for the bodies, if you like and use them all, why get rid of any?

However, if you aren’t using one or more of the digital bodies much (or at all), just get rid of it.  A digital camera is a computer with a shutter release in my view. A new model will come out every few years. No great loss.

Keep the MP. It’s the modern classic Leica, closest in spirit to an M2 (the M-A doesn’t count ;) ). If you enjoy your M7, keep it too. 

Enjoy! 

:)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mute-on said:

Firstly, you should never sell a Leica lens, at least not one that is out of current production. 

However, if you aren’t using one or more of the digital bodies much (or at all), just get rid of it.  A digital camera is a computer with a shutter release in my view. A new model will come out every few years. No great loss.

Keep the MP. It’s the modern classic Leica, closest in spirit to an M2 (the M-A doesn’t count ;) ). If you enjoy your M7, keep it too. 

Enjoy! 

The M10-D gets very limited use.... Sadly but its so beautiful, so unique 

I agree a digital camera is nothing more than what you say.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mute-on said:

Enjoy! 

Both of Mute-on's points are quite valid. 

...Funny - in France they refuse to insure any camera equipment so its all uninsured...

@M10Alpine

Given the size and value of your Leica kit, not having insurance on it must be pretty scary.  I have never heard of such an arrangement and I'm curious about where it comes from.  Is there a prohibition against insuring cameras and lenses written into French law?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

@M10Alpine

Given the size and value of your Leica kit, not having insurance on it must be pretty scary.  I have never heard of such an arrangement and I'm curious about where it comes from.  Is there a prohibition against insuring cameras and lenses written into French law?

No they are just FRENCH in a very French way - I know Pro Photographers and the insure in the Netherlands.  I have also ask way and no one can tell me why they don't allow insuring my gear. I have som in my bank box and some at home in a safe thats 96kg so its all safe. But when I travel its just a matter of when I get robbed, not if...

7 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

@M10Alpine

duble post - sorry

Edited by M10Alpine

On 9/30/2020 at 12:38 AM, OR120 said:

...don't carry a lot of gear with you when you go out to shoot -- keep it simple - that will help you focus...

^ This ^

When I go out snapping hereabouts I will (normally) choose one body and one lens and head off. Usually the body will be the M-D Typ-262 (older version of the M10-D) because that camera really does focus the mind on taking photographs! Choice of lens varies but my long-time favourite is my 40mm Voigtlander Nokton. If all I have is that set-up I'm really happy and will be really focussed on simply looking for stuff which interests me.

On holiday I might also take my Monochrom along to use as a second body (with, obviously, another lens fitted) and it sort-of works but, in truth, I suspect it's a bit over-the-top and can actually muddle my thinking beacuse I now have to choose between four permutations rather than just using the one-body-one-lens kit mentioned earlier. It can, of course, be very handy to have, say, a 28 on one and a 75 on the other. There are upsides and downsides to both approaches.

If you don't need to sell then don't. You could always rotate your choices just for a bit of fun (I do with my stuff) and, if you do so, in this manner you really will discover your preferred combination(s) quite rapidly.

Just my two-cents worth.

Philip.

• Like 2