M8.2 repair? DIY?

84bravo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have an M8.2 that I purchased used a couple of years ago and it has quite a few miles on it. It works great, but the on/off switch at the shutter release has become very stiff and difficult to move. I suspect that a CLA for the whole camera is in order. However, I just don't want to put any money into this while it is otherwise working well and has limited value. I'm guessing that the the mechanism is just dirty and needs a good cleaning. Any suggestions on how to clean that part to get it to free up?

The rear command dial became erratic, so I cleaned it up by spraying electronic contact cleaner on it (carefully) and that worked like a charm. However, that spray hasn't helped the shutter switch.

Anyone have a basic CLA from Leica done on an M8 or M8.2 recently? How much did it cost?

Thanks,

LarryK

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

If you've tried electronic contact cleaner, i wouldn't use lighter fluid (Shellite).  Contact cleaner is a strong hydrocarbon solvent anyway.

You have a nice looking camera, which generally works well, and probably long overdue for a CLA...so do it. Might get another 10 years out of it.

UPDATE: After posting the same question on a Leica Facebook forum it was suggested that I use dental floss to clean up where the switch sits on the body. That did the trick, along with a bit more electronic contact cleaner, to free up the switch without having to resort to surgery! It now works as good as new.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...