Upgrade from M-P 240 to M10R: Would you do it?

Herr Barnack

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am thinking about selling off my M-P 240 Safari set (M-P 240 with chrome 35mm Summicron ASPH and accessories) to fund an upgrade to an M10R. 

This would mean that I'd be short a chrome 35mm ASPH lens, which I think I would not really miss.  The only time I am currently using the 35 Summicron is when I shoot with the M-P 240, which hasn't gotten much use lately.  I am shooting almost 100% with my Q2 and M10 Mono these days.  Another reason I don't think I'd miss the 35 Summicron is because I have the 28 Summilux on the Q2 and a 28mm Elmarit f/2.8 for the M10 Mono.  Between 28mm and 35mm, I gravitate to the 28mm almost always.

Selling/trading/upgrading M cameras and lenses must be approached like a chess game IMHO.  Give serious thought to your every move and the ramifications it will produce, or you will come to regret it.

The advantages if the M10R compared to the M-P 240 would be much higher usable ISO, a shutter that is quieter by roughly 50%, a refined layout and the new 40.89 mp color sensor. 

My M10 mono also has the redesigned 40.89 mp B&W sensor; my Q2 has the 47.3 mp color sensor.  Upgrading to the M10R would mean that my color M camera would be on more equal footing with the  Q2 and M10 Mono with regard to the sensors.  I think that for making exhibit quality and size fine print, this would be a good thing.

Upgrading would be contingent on being able to get a favorable (or at least reasonable) amount of money out of the Safari set; I'm not going to get M10R fever and let myself be skinned alive, letting the Safari set go for a song.  IMHO that would be a very poor decision. 

My question is - assuming I can get a favorable selling price for the 240 Safari set, does this sound like a good idea - even though it involves saying goodbye to the 35mm Summicron (I would not want to break up the Safari set and keep the 35 'cron)?

Any insights into how to best proceed will be greatly appreciated.

HB, i'm in a similar boat.  I have an MP240 that I'll someday sell and I"m waffling between a M10P, M10R, a recently spotted a M10P Safari, or holding off until the M11.  I have some non-Leica equipment that I'll sell to help fund whatever I get.  I might even sell my 35mm 2.0 ASPH v.1 since it's sat on the shelf for two years.  

Have you thought about keeping your 35mm and selling the Q?  

Ray

I love my 35 Summicron asph which has been pretty much locked on my m10 and is a lens I’ve had since my m7. I told myself that I should never part with this lens, even though it didn’t get as much use on my m9, as I had a 28 Summicron asph pretty much dedicated to it. I resisted buying a Q because of having the 28 already. But now I have a Q2 on order and thinking about the future, I’ll most likely keep the 35 on the 10, and keep the 28 at least for awhile.

• Like 1

If you need the color output and resolution for "...for making exhibit quality and size fine print..." that neither or the Q2 or monochrome are giving, then you already know the answer.

However, you should really be honest about how much gain you need and expect - you are saying that don't use the M-P 240 so often - why it will be different with a M10R?

The M10R will be 'just' another M with higher resolution; the M-P-240 safari, will be always a bit more unique, and you have already two machines giving over 40mb resolution.

Maybe you need to get a new lens instead - something that will allow you to enjoy the the 240 again, and become 'permanently' attached to it...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you use the 35 mainly on the M-P 240, what will you use on the M10R?

For me, lens preferences go in long period cycles. When I started photography with a gifted SLR I used mainly a 50, and that's what I got when I bought my own first SLR, and again when I bought my first Leica (M3). Shortly afterwards I became enamoured of the 35 angle of view and a Summicron 35 was the lens I used most for a couple of decades. That later widened to 28 (Elmarit-M), probably under the influence of smartphone cameras, early digital point-and-shoots and later a Ricoh GRDIV. I've now come full circle, and my main single lens carry is the CL and the Summilux-TL 35, which is a 50 equivalent.

My point is that lens preferences change. I would sell one of your 28mm (Q2 or Elmarit) and keep the 35 for an alternative PoV, or for when the wind changes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For 90% of my shooting M240=M10=M10R , 10% of the time the subtleties are noticeable.  That's what I love about Leica M, since 2009 with the release of the M9 all the bodies yield beautiful IQ and the improvement of software (Lightroom) makes them better than ever.  

On 9/27/2020 at 10:00 PM, RayD28 said:

...Have you thought about keeping your 35mm and selling the Q?  

Ray

That is not even a consideration for me - both my Q2 and M10 Mono are keepers. 

My main interests in the M10R are as follows:  Approximately 50% reduction in shutter sound compared to my M-P 240, ISO capability of 50,000 vs. 6400 in the 240, a much better designed, less cluttered rear panel in terms of buttons and layout, smaller footprint, lighter weight and the new 40.89 mp sensor.  The sensor will give me higher printed image quality at a given print size compared to the 240 camera.  As for the top panel mounted ISO dial, some like it some do not.  I like it; IMHO it makes sense to have the most frequently used ISO settings at your fingertips and visually accessible while shooting without having to stop and root through stacks of menus to get to your ISO settings.

All these upgrades combined make the M10R very hard to resist...

I am not itch at all on Pixel count. More importantly I am addicting to SL. I will spend money on lenses.

M240 to me is a more elegant camera than SL , I am keeping it for that. For more technical advanced, SL series is the future.

Edited by Einst_Stein