TTArtisan 50mm 1.4 preview

Harpomatic

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone, I just published a preview of the just released TTArtisan 50mm 1.4 in my blog:

https://www.47-degree.com/focus-shift/ttartisan-50mm-14-preview

My first impression is quite good, but I will review it in much more depth and publish the full review in a short while.

I hope it will be of interest to some of you! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Ko.Fe. said:

Thanks for the effort!

Makes incoming CV VM 50 1.5 II even more appealing :).  I'm enjoying their compact and light lenses on my M-E 220 and RP lately.  

6 hours ago, cboy said:

Thanks! Nice preview! Ive been eyeing of this one along with the new Voigtlander 50. Really nice real world image output given the price. 

Thanks to both. I have to say I'm sooo looking forward to the new CV 50 1.5 II: I was telling a friend that is teasing me because I change, buy and sell lenses so often (and he's right to take the mickey, it's absurd) that my desert island lens would be a Nokton 50mm 1.5 VM in a C Sonnar 50mm 1.5 casing. I would be set. What can I say? Pending image quality, thanks so much Hirobumi Kobayashi! I'll be happy finally! 😉

Back on the TTArtisan, for me this would still be a keeper over the CV 50mm 1.5 with the cog wheel focus ring if image quality were comparable. It's so much better ergonomically it's not even funny. Where the TTA 50 0.95 wasn't fun to lug around and use for me, this 50 1.4 really works as an everyday carry. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Harpomatic said:

my desert island lens would be a Nokton 50mm 1.5 VM in a C Sonnar 50mm 1.5 casing

Agree about the C Sonnar size, weight and ergonomics. My perfect modern lens would be a 50mm Summilux ASPH in a C Sonnar casing. In a way I hope the CV VM 50mm f/1.5 doesn't turn out to be too good because it's already difficult to justify how many 50s I have. I'll be hanging on every word when your review of that particular lens comes out!

4 hours ago, Harpomatic said:

Thanks to both. I have to say I'm sooo looking forward to the new CV 50 1.5 II: I was telling a friend that is teasing me because I change, buy and sell lenses so often (and he's right to take the mickey, it's absurd) that my desert island lens would be a Nokton 50mm 1.5 VM in a C Sonnar 50mm 1.5 casing. I would be set. What can I say? Pending image quality, thanks so much Hirobumi Kobayashi! I'll be happy finally! 😉

Back on the TTArtisan, for me this would still be a keeper over the CV 50mm 1.5 with the cog wheel focus ring if image quality were comparable. It's so much better ergonomically it's not even funny. Where the TTA 50 0.95 wasn't fun to lug around and use for me, this 50 1.4 really works as an everyday carry. 

Ha! I'm not alone with feeling it has ZM 50 1.5 shape :)

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, sinjun said:

Agree about the C Sonnar size, weight and ergonomics. My perfect modern lens would be a 50mm Summilux ASPH in a C Sonnar casing. In a way I hope the CV VM 50mm f/1.5 doesn't turn out to be too good because it's already difficult to justify how many 50s I have. I'll be hanging on every word when your review of that particular lens comes out!

Of course the Summilux level of performance would be ideal, but I have to be realistic with expectations. Look at the Summilux 35mm FLE compared to the Distagon 35mm ZM, the Zeiss seems to be better but at the expense of size. I would have no doubt about which one to get - FLE. Same will be for the Nokton II I think: some compromises for the size, but if the quality is there I’m set.

I think this holds true for the TTA 50mm 1.4, bigger and heavier to get performance with less technology/costly materials/processes. We’ll see.

On 9/24/2020 at 7:58 PM, Ko.Fe. said:

Thanks for the effort!

Makes incoming CV VM 50 1.5 II even more appealing :).  I'm enjoying their compact and light lenses on my M-E 220 and RP lately.  

I prefer by far the new CV 50mm. Love that vintage line. Regardless of IQ, the TT is a Leica knock-off and I dislike that "homage" thing.

(But those samples look pretty good though)

Edited by rivi1969

12 hours ago, rivi1969 said:

I prefer by far the new CV 50mm. Love that vintage line. Regardless of IQ, the TT is a Leica knock-off and I dislike that "homage" thing.

(But those samples look pretty good though)

Are they knock-offs though? The exterior design might be copying Leica ones to a degree, but the optical designs are completely original and I think the are interesting. And isn’t the new CV 50 1.5 II a knock-off of a Topcor design from the past? 

On 9/27/2020 at 3:36 AM, Harpomatic said:

Are they knock-offs though? The exterior design might be copying Leica ones to a degree, but the optical designs are completely original and I think the are interesting. And isn’t the new CV 50 1.5 II a knock-off of a Topcor design from the past? 

Yes, they are knock-offs... didn't bother to make them look a little different. And I strongly doubt they are make to the same standards as the new Voigtlanders.

15 minutes ago, tom.w.bn said:

Great news. I am currently looking for a faster 50mm and this one seems to be a good choice. Even if it falls apart in a couple of years, I can buy a new one and this is in total still cheaper than a fast voigtländer 50.

I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

• 2 years later...