Leica Q2 directional pad

Leicalot

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have found that I am accidentally pushing on the 'directional pad' on the back of my Q2 when handling the camera.  This means that, when in auto focus mode, I am inadvertently moving the focus point.  Often I do not notice until it is too late, the moment has passed, and the camera has focused on the wrong part of the frame.  I called Leica to find out if I could disable this control, but was told that this is not possible.  Am I being too ham fisted, or has anyone else experienced this problem?

Glad somebody raised this, since I have had the same issue. Not so excited to hear the focus point can’t be locked and that the only way to solve this is to buy the thumb rest. This could surely be addressed in the next firmware, no? Or could it be solved by turning of the LCD touch function?

I just got Q2 last week, didn’t really have problem with the D-pad accidentally moving the focus point but added thumb support for better holding.

While the thumb support does improve the grip, I have issue controlling the wheel, I have to lift my thumb up and across the support, and it feels awkward and slow. Feel kinda bumped.

I also find sometimes I’ve inadvertently moved the focus point. This is most annoying when I’m outside in bright light and I cannot see or don’t notice where the focus point is. I use a Thumbs Up and love it. I wish Leica would have a setting to lock the focus point.