Sports fastest SD ...

Sye Williams

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I work with a M-10 and a SL, the SL I use mostly for sports/boxing. I'm currently using Sony Tough 64 GB 300MB and Sony 64 G series 300MB. Let's say i'm shooting a fight, I could usually pop off 13 or so frames before starts to choke and need a break. I have to reach for another camera while missing some action. Just purchased a M10 and I am noticing that people recommend Lexar.

What brand of SD card is the best for speed and number of frames for the SL? 

Thanks

Sye Williams

I use Sandisk Extreme Pro and have not had any issues.  I suspect you might also benefit from using the slower burst speed on the M10/SL.  Can’t remember what it’s called on each camera.  But I think most people prefer the burst to last for longer at a lower FPS...  Maybe you should trying that.

Not my style of shooting but maybe try to time your shots better instead of sitting on the burst for so long...?

As said above the card is not crucial for burst shooting, but the internal buffer (which is also several times faster than any SD card). Sorry to say, but you probably want the truth: Your cameras are rather slow, so no need for a fast (V90) SDcard. (It will simply not make the camera faster. It is meant for video usage.)

The SL2 has 4 gb of internal buffer, which offers room for 78 raws or more than 100 jpgs. So switch to the SL2 if you need more buffer. Generally speaking the SL2 is in any way much faster than the SL or M10 and additionally has ibis.

And don’t worry about the SDcard (I use only V30 cards and see no slowdown. I would only see a slowdown if I used bursts longer than 78 pics).

The M lenses can also be used on the SL2. And it is even cheaper than the M10. For your photography (as you describe it) the M10 was not the best choice. Maybe you can return it and get a SL2 instead.

My impression is that Lexar are on the unreliable side (check the fora). Use maybe Sandisk or other brands. Sony is usually the most expensive (by far) and not worth it. Ask your local dealer what he uses (in his demo cameras).

Edited by caissa

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, caissa said:

...............My impression is that Lexar are on the unreliable side (check the fora). Use maybe Sandisk or other brands. Sony is usually the most expensive (by far) and not worth it. Ask your local dealer what he uses (in his demo cameras).

+1 agree, my experience with Lexar cards has been less than ideal. My dealer concurs, according to him, by far the majority of failed & returned SD cards are Lexars. I can't recall ever having any issues with Sandisk cards.

17 hours ago, Sye Williams said:

I work with a M-10 and a SL, the SL I use mostly for sports/boxing. I'm currently using Sony Tough 64 GB 300MB and Sony 64 G series 300MB. Let's say i'm shooting a fight, I could usually pop off 13 or so frames before starts to choke and need a break. I have to reach for another camera while missing some action. Just purchased a M10 and I am noticing that people recommend Lexar.

What brand of SD card is the best for speed and number of frames for the SL? 

Thanks

Sye Williams

Are you joking? Is this a joke?????    Lexar is a disaster waiting to happen, literally!  This is the only brand of cards that I have ever has issue with. As in, you put the card in your computer and the files are un- readable! Steer Clear! ..... Delkin cards were way better faster, and also use SanDisk for years never a problem

Jim thanks for your enthusiasm :)   And thank you to everyone else for their help!

I have shot the SL since it was out using the Sony Tough 64 399mb v 90 and the Sony G series 64 300 Mb . I recently purchased the M 10 and both of those have come back with errors.  I wont throw the other photographer under the bus but someone online recommend Lexar that's why i'm asking. I shoot the M10 for portraitures and not very fast. If i am shooting a fight i need faster buffering and want as many frames as I can get as action can be long. Thank you for all of your answers this helps!

Sye

Edited by Sye Williams