Moving from S-E(006) to SL or SL2?

Coppereye1960

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After many years with Canon 5Ds I made the move to Leica M (240) in December 2016. I’ve chopped and changed the kit around so now I have :

Leica M10 with 21mm/35mm f1.2 Voigtlander/50mm Summilux, 50mm collapsible Elmar (1954),90mm and 135mm - all Leica unless specified

Leica Q my favourite camera EVER!

Leica S-E (typ 006) with a 70mm f2.5, 120mm macro

Ive even got and use a Sofort and a 1958 M3 single stroke ( used mainly with the Elmar)

I’ve also had and sold a Monochrom ( CCD Sensor - imho the best rendering)

I bought the S-E for studio work which due to illness I may not be able to do or at least very little.  I am considering using the S-E as a part exchange on a Leica SL and either a 24mm-90mm or a 75mm lens ( preferable ) and the M to SL converter.

after a long preamble my question is if I was to trade for an SL should it be for the Mark I or the SL2.

Obviously I may need to add cash but your thoughts would be helpful.

I shoot 90% Portraits of which 80% are in the outside world almost street ( hence 75mm lens ).  The other 10% is my abstract art and I would use whatever I need  ( Start with  Q and M3 ) 

thank you in advance

As an S user, I wound up with the SL2, and I think it is the best match. I think the colors are more comparable (not perfect, but in general closer to the S006 than other Leica cameras I have used). The resolution in the SL2 is slightly higher than the S006, but the SL is not comparable. I think in general, the SL2 is the best match. The extra resolution, ISO peformance and stabilization are all huge bonuses. The original SL button structure is nicer if you are an S user, but I think all the other advantages add up to make the SL2 a better choice. Also a lot better video if you ever need it...

As for lenses, the SL lenses are amazing, but your S lenses work very well on the SL2 too, especially the 120mm. They are larger an more unwieldy than the SL equivalents, but they work. If you search around you might find the adapter for a reasonable price. I paid 500 dollars for mine in like new condition.

• Like 1

The SL2 is far better because of IBIS and the higher resolution and generally a faster camera. The S lenses work optically very well, but are not a great joy to use (large, slow, rather noisy). After using a SL lens (fast and totally silent af), they are somehow a little disappointing. The Summicron SL 75 is much nicer to use on the SL2 than the S70.