Leica M9 yes or no? That's the problem...

cabe

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone, 

these days I'm thinking about taking an M9 and I'm not if this is crazy! 

It's a friend's camera with less than 2000 shots and sensor replaced by Leica 1 year ago, the price is also very very interesting.

In the past I have used the M9 and loved the CCD sensor.

What would you do? I'm very tempted...

Thank you in advance for tips😉 

• Like 1

@rramesh 

Sure, the price is very interesting and the camera is like new with sensor replaced 1 year ago.

I had the M240 but it never fully satisfied me and the M10 is still too expensive. When I used the M9 I always really appreciated the result, that's why I'm very tempted...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, cabe said:

One question: I read around that some substitute sensors had the same corrosion problem! 

It's possible to understand if the new sensor is "definitive" and free from the problem? depends on the replacement year?

Thank you for your help

Will not be a problem on your friends if as you say above it was changed last year. 

32 minutes ago, cabe said:

One question: I read around that some substitute sensors had the same corrosion problem!...

It's important to understand what, specifically, is meant by "substitute sensor".

Some users have mentioned that their 'substitute sensor / second sensor' also corroded (as a matter of fact it happened to my own M9-P) but these were always cases where the second sensor fitted was also a first-generation sensor and the substitution had taken place before the issue had been properly resolved with the implementation of the second generation sensor / cover glass in September 2015;

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/249569-leica-m9-corrosion-sensor-replacement-starts-now/

Any sensor replacement fitted subsequent to this date will not be affected by corrosion. Your friend's camera, obviously, belongs in this category.

Philip.

Edited by pippy

24 minutes ago, cabe said:

@Boojay @pippy, 

thank you so much for the answers!!!

Perfect, I wanted to be sure of this because, on the web, I had read about users with sensor replaced in 2017 that then presented the problem...🤔 

Leica can also tell you definitively if you provide a serial number.  

Jeff

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, cabe said:

...I wanted to be sure of this because, on the web, I had read about users with sensor replaced in 2017 that then presented the problem...

A sensor replaced in 2017 wouldn't be a problem but a sensor replaced before the 2nd Gen came out might well have corroded in 2017 which is a different thing altogether.

P.

Edited by pippy

3 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Leica can also tell you definitively if you provide a serial number...

Correct. I believe the sensor type can also be checked simply by verifying which firmware is installed as the older sensor wouldn't run with the 2nd. generation firmware. Apologies for not being in a position to say which version that would be as I no longer have my M9-P.

:(

Philip.

Edited by pippy

On 9/22/2020 at 1:58 PM, cabe said:

had the M240 but it never fully satisfied me and the M10 is still too expensive.

The M10 is a development along the 240 line, not a deviation from it. So there is no need to crave for an M10 if you’re already in love with an M9. I sold my M10 after a year, luckily I had kept my M9, happier and wiser. Neutral colors, that’s all, but crucial. I don’t need 24 or 48Mp.

• Thanks 1

Am 22.9.2020 um 11:44 schrieb cabe:

Hello everyone, 

these days I'm thinking about taking an M9 and I'm not if this is crazy! 

It's a friend's camera with less than 2000 shots and sensor replaced by Leica 1 year ago, the price is also very very interesting.

In the past I have used the M9 and loved the CCD sensor.

What would you do? I'm very tempted...

Thank you in advance for tips😉 

What is the price..

Thank you all for your advice!!! Just now I confirmed the camera and, if all goes well, the day after tomorrow will be at home😃

I had the M240, great camera, but it never satisfied me completely; in the past I used the M9 always really appreciating the final result.

These days I have had this opportunity (@analog-digital the price is under 2000 euros) and I was tempted and in the end, thanks to your comments, I decided to take it.

I'll let you know the first shots, I hope it's the right companion of my SL2.

• Like 1

vor einer Stunde schrieb cabe:

@analog-digital the price is under 2000 euros

This price is OK.

The myth of the CCD sensors is of course a bit falsified.

For me, the CCD sensors have a completely different color rendering than CMOS. The colors are much softer, more pleasant and closer to the film.

The monochrome CCDs also produce a more harmonious mono image than the CMOS or converted from color to mono.