Used T, TL2 & lenses sale bait & switch?

dnease

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently purchased a Q2 and subsequently decided to sell my T, T2 and lenses. The equipment is without any scratches or blemishes and works flawlessly.

I got a quote from Adorama and based on that reasonable offer decided to send them my gear. Now they are reducing their offer by a third after having the equipment in their possession.

I'm waiting to hear back from someone at Adorama after complaining.

I'm feeling stuck.

Any recommendations?

I've sold two groups of bodies/lenses over time to B&H. They gave me a quote, received the equipment and sent me the check after they had a chance to review what I sent. I even wound up using a portion of the funds on one of the deals to trade with them for the 60mm f2.8 TL Macro, for which they gave me a lower than the listed new price as part of the trade and I didn't have to pay the sales tax. Flawless deals both times.

Not knowing the specific of your deal (was the price fair or possibly too good initially to believe?), I'd be shocked to hear most anyone offering much more than 50-60% of what they're going to wind up trying to sell it for. 

I'd guess most would probably maximize value, especially if it's a trade vs. straight cash, using a dealer like Leica Miami (much of what I was trading was non-Leica stuff) rather than Adorama.

Edited by Gregm61

28 minutes ago, Gregm61 said:

Not knowing the specific of your deal (was the price fair or possibly too good initially to believe?), I'd be shocked to hear most anyone offering much more than 50-60% of what they're going to wind up trying to sell it for. 

I'd guess most would probably maximize value, especially if it's a trade vs. straight cash, using a dealer like Leica Miami (much of what I was trading was non-Leica stuff) rather than Adorama.

I thought the initial price offered was reasonable. About 25% less than what I saw equivalent equipment selling for on eBay and places like LeicaStoreMiami. So, I was happy with that, saving myself the hassle of selling it myself. I do understand they need to make a profit. However, now we're down to roughly 50% of what I've seen as prices for similar used equipment.

And I tried Leica Store Miami, but they weren't accepting used T-TL2 equipment at the time.

The problem is that in cases like this the initial estimate is unseen. The final offer is based on examination of the equipment and is sometimes lower. I am sure that this was made clear to you - it should have been. Just ask for it back and try elsewhere.

My personal experience with Adorama was terrible. Sent in a used T, got an estimate, accepted it, but the check that came in was less than that. Apparently, the new management that took over in the past few years just doesn't care about reputation. Their fantastic ex-customer service rep Helen Oster said in a blog that she left Adorama because of this.