50mm M Apo vs SL Apo on SL2

agencal

I cannot compare both as I Only have the M APO 50. I don’t have the SL APO 50 (I have the SL lux 50). 

But there is a huge difference in usability : to get a perfect focus with the M lens on the SL, you need to open @ f2 and the go back to the desired aperture once you focused. I find this a bit awkward. It is of course a non issue if you always shoot @ f2...

But this is the main reason I almost exclusively shoot with the 50 lux SL on my SL since I got the SL lens (or with the Noctilux that stays @ f0.95). The M APO stays on the M10M :)  

• Like 2

For all practical purposes the two are identical in terms of technical image quality. I have owned and loved both. At f/5.6 they are both, essentially, perfect optically. I find the L mount lens a touch more flare resistant, but neither has a problem. Obviously, one is small, light, and manual focus. The other is larger, heavier, and AF.

If you have an SL the obvious choice is the Summicron SL. If you have an M the obvious choice is the APO Summicron M. They have a very similar character. Each is really good at just getting out of the way, not adding or subtracting anything from the image, just providing a sharp, contrasty view of what you saw with your eyes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jared said:

For all practical purposes the two are identical in terms of technical image quality. I have owned and loved both. At f/5.6 they are both, essentially, perfect optically. I find the L mount lens a touch more flare resistant, but neither has a problem. Obviously, one is small, light, and manual focus. The other is larger, heavier, and AF.

If you have an SL the obvious choice is the Summicron SL. If you have an M the obvious choice is the APO Summicron M. They have a very similar character. Each is really good at just getting out of the way, not adding or subtracting anything from the image, just providing a sharp, contrasty view of what you saw with your eyes. 

Thank you. I already have M 50mm apo and SL2 is arriving in a few days.So sould i better sell the M apo and buy the SL one?

1 hour ago, agencal said:

Thank you. I already have M 50mm apo and SL2 is arriving in a few days.So sould i better sell the M apo and buy the SL one?

Do you still have an M? Or is the SL2 going to be your one full frame camera? If your only use for the 50mm APO will be on the SL2, I would sell the APO and buy the Summicron SL 50mm. That would add autofocus without any down-side in terms of image quality. The L lens is a bit larger and heavier, but that ship sailed as soon as you decided to go with the SL2. Others, obviously, will disagree. Both lenses are optically excellent. I have owned both. Some of my favorite pictures I have ever taken were with an SL and the 50mm APO, but that was before the 50mm Summicron SL was released. Now? I own just the newer lens. Happy with that choice. The pictures are essentially indistinguishable, but I like having autofocus and a lens that is better matched to the SL2 in terms of size.

6 minutes ago, Jared said:

Do you still have an M? Or is the SL2 going to be your one full frame camera? If your only use for the 50mm APO will be on the SL2, I would sell the APO and buy the Summicron SL 50mm. That would add autofocus without any down-side in terms of image quality. The L lens is a bit larger and heavier, but that ship sailed as soon as you decided to go with the SL2. Others, obviously, will disagree. Both lenses are optically excellent. I have owned both. Some of my favorite pictures I have ever taken were with an SL and the 50mm APO, but that was before the 50mm Summicron SL was released. Now? I own just the newer lens. Happy with that choice. The pictures are essentially indistinguishable, but I like having autofocus and a lens that is better matched to the SL2 in terms of size.

As you said the compactness ship sailed:) I no more have M body but SL2 as my main camera.If their looks are indistinguishable then it is better to sell and buy the new one.

Thanks

• Like 1

13 hours ago, thatkatmat said:

The one thing I don't like about M lenses on an SL body is the close focus limitations. You can get to .35 meter with the SL. .7 with the M

Even the SL24-90 has a close focus distance of 30cm.... a very versatile tool, still optically superb (although the 90-280 is even better).  For me, the M and SL(2) systems are complementary, providing very different experiences and serving different needs. Neither lacks for IQ.

Jeff

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, thatkatmat said:

I agree, it's why I chose to keep the SL2/Q rather than the M10/Q . I love using the M mounts on my SL2 when I'm feeling creative. But, when I'm getting paid or just need to get the shot the SL lenses get the job done in amazing fashion.

This is the direction I am heading, but with the SL1. My M262 isn’t getting a lot of use and my worsening astigmatism isn’t helping my ability to accurately focus the M when wide open. I want to sell the M, but there is a part of me what won’t let it go :)

• Thanks 1

Am 21.9.2020 um 16:34 schrieb agencal:

SL apo seems a bit better for sharpness and contrast

It is better (Leica’s MTF: SL left, M right).

For a deeper insight of the differences between SL and M lenses/characteristics and optical physics in general I highly recommend this interview with Peter Karbe:
Leica Conversations: The Art of Leica Lenses with Peter Karbe, Leica Store Singapore, July 2020

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!