Self timer '&' bracketing

erniethemilk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

To compound the annoyance, if you use Fotos as a remote, which makes sense on a tripod, you can set the camera to bracket but when you trigger from remote, it just takes a single shot.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

1 hour ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

To compound the annoyance, if you use Fotos as a remote, which makes sense on a tripod, you can set the camera to bracket but when you trigger from remote, it just takes a single shot.

Fotos is not taking advantage of the phones' native OS capability.

It does not have to just mirror the camera menu capability, but can actually offer more features.

For instance:

1. it can incorporate a timer to control exposures e.g. long exposures, time based exposure, interval control etc.
  2. Location data can be added to EXIF
  3. Possibly other features

Leica needs to engage a couple of good developers to incorporate many of these features. Fotos has so much potential to upsell the value of Leica.

It would not take more than 2-3 person-months of development effort to do this.

Edited by rramesh
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, steve 1959 said:

You could just bracket manually or is that naive?

Of course you could. And take a lot more time over it and risk mistakes.

I spent a day shooting the interior of an old slate works building a couple of weeks ago, with light in many individual images ranging from deep interior shadow to sunlit hillsides seen through windows and missing roofs. Exposures from 'normal' range up to seconds. I did them all on five shot bracketing and HDR merging in LR, taking a chance on camera wobble. I'd much rather have allowed a 2 sec delay.

Of course you can do it manually, as one did in the olden days. But why should you have to? The CL keeps self timer and drive mode separate - why do they need to be combined in the M10 and SL2?

1 hour ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I spent a day shooting the interior of an old slate works building a couple of weeks ago, with light in many individual images ranging from deep interior shadow to sunlit hillsides seen through windows and missing roofs. Exposures from 'normal' range up to seconds. I did them all on five shot bracketing and HDR merging in LR, taking a chance on camera wobble. I'd much rather have allowed a 2 sec delay.

Of course you can do it manually, as one did in the olden days. But why should you have to? The CL keeps self timer and drive mode separate - why do they need to be combined in the M10 and SL2?

Thanks,you confirmed it.

I am naive.........I never bracket in that style or do HDR ,i do use a self timer on 12 seconds for tripod shots and bracket after checking each image.

I am out of my depth in this subject but in a happy way.

18 hours ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

I’ve tried using the fotos app as suggested by Leica UK and found when you connect the app you need to go back into the drive setting and select bracketing again. Worked for me yesterday when trying it out. 

8 hours ago, steve 1959 said:

You could just bracket manually or is that naive?

You could and that’s what I think I’ll end up doing. Being able to select bracketing and the self timer is much quicker and more simple. And of course you don’t have to touch the camera removing the risk of moving it. 

I’m actually quite surprised such as simple function isn’t available. 

9 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

....taking a chance on camera wobble. I'd much rather have allowed a 2 sec delay.

I do this manually all the time. Its actually very easy, but you raise a couple of interesting points.

Firstly, you should not get camera wobble on a tripod. There are only two types of tripod; those which hold the camera steady, and those which don't. If you get any sort of wobble even taking bracketed exposures manually, then you are using the second type and its not fit for purpose. I learnt a long time ago that to be effective a tripod MUST be stable (and I now have several tripods for varied tasks including some large, costly (when new - mine are battered) carbon fibre Gitzos which are as heavy as I am prepared to carry and rock solid).

Simplicity of menus is a key to operating well. I find that I am far slower using a Sony camera than a Leica M because of the plethora of features. I would rather have less features on a more intuitive camera. Even if I had it (I suppose that I may have it on the Sony) I would be unlikely to use it because I prefer not to wade through menus trying to find an automated way of doing something simple.

• Like 1

I think we must agree to differ on this. I do not find that separating delayed release from exposure bracketing in the menu turns a Leica into a Sony, and that is how I prefer to work. Others are welcome to use heavy tripods and cable releases as they wish. FTAOD I have two tripods and a cable release. On the occasion I referred to I had a lightweight Gitzo - probably too lightweight for the SL2, but which, with delayed release, would have avoided risk of wobble.

There are many ways to deal with photographic issues. But since Leica has chosen to provide a 2 sec release, it would make sense for it to be a separate menu feature, not attached to another feature. 

1 hour ago, LocalHero1953 said:

The 2 sec delay is intended to save you having to buy/remember/carry a cable release. And there's no such hole on the SL2 or CL - though I appreciate this is a M-thread.

If they forgot to take the camera would that be Leica's fault as well? I can see the value of the electronic delay if after buying a £7000 camera a cable release is a stretch too far, but I don't see any value in delaying the photograph. If I've stood there waiting for the light to change or the wind to drop the decisive moment is the same as in any other photograph, not two seconds after.

It's rather unfortunate that Leica seems to have confused 4 variables in Drive Mode options, where selection is limited.

• Initial wait time before first exposure (immediate, 2 sec, 12 sec)
  • Number of exposures - continuous when shutter pressed, or limited number of exposures (3 or 5 with Exposure Bracketing, or user defined with Interval)
  • Interval time - low speed, high speed, user defined with Interval
  • Exposure - bracketing

In the past single, continuous, timer could be controlled via shutter dial but this has been removed.

I can understand the need to have simpler menus, but grouping disparate options is not the way to achieve this.

Edited by rramesh

3 hours ago, 250swb said:

If they forgot to take the camera would that be Leica's fault as well? I can see the value of the electronic delay if after buying a £7000 camera a cable release is a stretch too far, but I don't see any value in delaying the photograph. If I've stood there waiting for the light to change or the wind to drop the decisive moment is the same as in any other photograph, not two seconds after.

You would have my full, absolute and total agreement.......... if I took the same sort of photos as you, of the same subject, in the same style, under the same constraints....... 

But I don't.