M9 is sick, probably terminal

anabasis

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well my M9 went from okay to bands to near white-out in 5 frames.  I am guessing it's a paperweight now.

There are with the WATE, but it is the same with the 35 Asph 'Cron.

Out of curiosity, is it sensor failure or something else?

At least there is my M7 and M-Z adapter.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Does look like classic CCD sensor failure (plus, you have a scattering of corrosion marks - black blobs with white halos, middle picture, sky).

Call Leica ASAP. But technically, M9 sensor replacement is no longer possible.

https://us.leica-camera.com/World-of-Leica/Leica-News/Global/2020/Repair-capacity-for-camera-models-Leica-M9-M9-P-M9-Monochrom-M-E

• Like 1

6 hours ago, anabasis said:

Well my M9 went from okay to bands to near white-out in 5 frames.  I am guessing it's a paperweight now.

There are with the WATE, but it is the same with the 35 Asph 'Cron.

Out of curiosity, is it sensor failure or something else?

At least there is my M7 and M-Z adapter.

Leica's no longer doing sensor replacements, but these guys are now doing sensor repairs:  Leica M9 Sensor Corrosion Repair  

Have a look here as well: https://www.maxmax.com/maincamerapage/monochrome-cameras/leica-m9

Not sure if your sensor's electronics are fried, or it's the cover glass, or both? I would in any event try Leica first & see what they say,  you've got nothing to lose. If Leica can't help, then try one of the above options.

Please keep us updated.

• Like 1

Thank you for the input.  While the corrosion issue is one thing, the white blanking is another and makes me wonder if a USD 1500 is worth it.  I don't use this particular body too often so it will be hard to justify expending so much on something that might not even work.  I will contact Leica, but expect that they will point me to the upgrade program.

Jeremy

• 4 weeks later...

Guys this just happened to me also (see below for gore).

Did anyone get a confirmation on the issue or what the dire upgrade options are? RIP M9...

It (the 18Mpixel 24x36 CCD sensor designed for Leica's special needs in 2008) was an extremely niche "bespoke" device - Leica the only customer, and OnSemi (previously TrueSense, and previously Kodak) the only manufacturer.

There are no other "bodys" that would have stock.

OnSemi announced the end of production about a year ago, and "last call" for orders. Leica placed their last order.

Last spring the last order was completed and shipped to Leica (only) and the production line was closed. Since then Leica has used up the remaining supply.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, adan said:

It (the 18Mpixel 24x36 CCD sensor designed for Leica's special needs in 2008) was an extremely niche "bespoke" device - Leica the only customer, and OnSemi (previously TrueSense, and previously Kodak) the only manufacturer.

There are no other "bodys" that would have stock.

OnSemi announced the end of production about a year ago, and "last call" for orders. Leica placed their last order.

Last spring the last order was completed and shipped to Leica (only) and the production line was closed. Since then Leica has used up the remaining supply.

Thank guys - appreciate the details.

Guess I'm getting an M10 then - I'll head into the Sydney Leica store this week and find out...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dzord2000 said:

Thank guys - appreciate the details.

Guess I'm getting an M10 then - I'll head into the Sydney Leica store this week and find out...

Prior to sending my camera to Kolari Vision I pinged camera clinic in VIC. They provided a PDF price list for upgrading to M10-P ($9K) etc The prices “aren’t bad” given the current state of your M9.  

Ok guys here's what they offer officially here in Aus from Leica. Seems like some serious price gouging if the EU prices at around 4000 euros for an m10.

They certainly have the upper hand since my M9 is now essentially worthless.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Raymondl said:

Prior to sending my camera to Kolari Vision I pinged camera clinic in VIC. They provided a PDF price list for upgrading to M10-P ($9K) etc The prices “aren’t bad” given the current state of your M9.  

Didnt know CC was providing upgrades. I only thought leica themselves would only offer upgrades as CC is only their official repairer in AUS. Would they upgrade even if the sensors has failed??

1 hour ago, Raymondl said:

What coverage to Kolari provide exactly? If the sensor is cooked they can't fix that surely...

35 minutes ago, dzord2000 said:

Ok guys here's what they offer officially here in Aus from Leica. Seems like some serious price gouging if the EU prices at around 4000 euros for an m10.

They certainly have the upper hand since my M9 is now essentially worthless.

At least the prices are aligned to digidirect (which you would expect).

However unfortunately the M10-P was excluded as part of the 20% sale on at the moment.

Looking at the euro retail pricing for M10-P it’s 7500 euros that’s pretty close to AUD price (https://www.leicashop.com/brandnew/at/en/leica-m10-p-silver-chrome?number=20022

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Raymondl said:

At least the prices are aligned to digidirect (which you would expect).

However unfortunately the M10-P was excluded as part of the 20% sale on at the moment.

Looking at the euro retail pricing for M10-P it’s 7500 euros that’s pretty close to AUD price (https://www.leicashop.com/brandnew/at/en/leica-m10-p-silver-chrome?number=20022

I was looking at this: https://us.leica-camera.com/World-of-Leica/Leica-News/Global/2020/Repair-capacity-for-camera-models-Leica-M9-M9-P-M9-Monochrom-M-E 

Comes in at $7600 AUD approx. 

Seems harsh. But yeah, you're right its equivalent to their Australian pricing.

• Like 1