Advertisement (gone after registration)

I searched the forum but did not find any information on the topic of battery damage caused by dropping, so here is my dilemma:  Today I accidentally dropped one of my Q2 batteries (#BP-SCL4).  It fell about 4 ft. (1.2 m) and landed on a hardwood floor.  It was in a Tenba battery pouch, which has thin neoprene padding on the bottom and sides but none on the top.  It sounded like it hit on the top where there is no padding (why, yes - of course!🙄

I see no physical damage to the battery - no dings or cracks in the outer case, and no leaking (so far).  I inserted the battery into the Q2 and the camera indicates a full charge.  

My concern is that this drop may shorten the life of the battery, that it may not hold a charge or it may not take a full charge down the road.  

If anyone has had a similar experience with a Q2 or other M camera battery and can shed some light on what I can expect, it would be a great help.

Thanks in advance!

Just for fun...

Q2 battery is about 80 grams, padding might be 20g. As we dont know where you dropped it, we'll assume gravity in Miami or Denver is about the same @ 9,81 m/S2 (it's obviously not true but we dont need the g sharpness).. so the event generated 0.1 * 9.81 * 1.2m = 1.17 Kg m2 / S2 = 1.17 joules of Potential Energy (PE).

You might want to know at what speed your battery arrived on the floor: Kynetic Energy (KE) = 1/2 mV2 so V2 = 2KE / m so V= Sq Root (2 * KE / m)

We could replace KE per PE so V= Sq root (2 * 1.17 / 0,1) = about 4,85 m/s = 17 Km/h about 10 mph.

Thanks to Mr Newton, it's safe to say you are safe, and so is your Q2 Battery. 😊😊

Edited by snooper
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

@snooper thank you for sharing your calculations - the black art of mathematics has never been one of my aptitudes.

Calculations such as this are easy for some; if I were to attempt the same, the result would likely be that I would be found dead, my gray matter having liquefied and drained out through both external auditory canals.

No... I'm sure you would understand if you'd give it a try. It's a very simple and short not really accurate approach to your battery issue and once again just for the fun of it (I did not compute the heat release because the only impact of the air during the fall is temperature increase, probably about 1/100th of a degree Celsius). Also forgot to mention that the 1 Joule found was (energy wise) peanuts, and at the end of the day we are all happy about this result as it means you wont need to buy another battery.

That's all what matters, after all 😉

(Also note that "science" - if this could be called science - allows you to answer the question without even looking at the battery, and this is why people sometimes love it. Next time your wife asks you about something, you can use "science" to answer without even looking at the problem. Like "how come there is already no more beers in the fridge", the scientific approach / assessment / answer / is probably more elegant than the usual "because we had them all with my friends"...) 🤓

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

21 hours ago, jaapv said:

Actually, the worst effect is by the loss of gravity during the fall, allowing the electrons to drift upwards.

Is that why my Q2 rattles a bit when I shake it? All the loose electrons banging against the top and bottom of the battery case? Leica really should pack them in tighter so this isn’t an issue. That would give the battery more capacity as well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jared said:

Is that why my Q2 rattles a bit when I shake it? All the loose electrons banging against the top and bottom of the battery case? Leica really should pack them in tighter so this isn’t an issue. That would give the battery more capacity as well.

Yes, but packing them tighter would lead to overheating.