Advertisement (gone after registration)

Looking to do more sports/action photography with my CL.  Not Sports Illustrated covers - just kids soccer and theater production work.  Worried that SIGMA 100-400 would be too heavy.  I know CL is not a sports camera but 10fps with decent focus tracking should be good enough.  Need at least 200mm to feel close enough in most cases.

It is about the lightest lens in that class... With excellent O.I.S. too, making it eminently handholdable.

Have you considered using an old 135mm lens via an adapter? I would use my old Leica Elmar-M lens. Perfectly adequate for non-professional use.

Except that it takes quite a bit of skill to use for sports. The 55-135 would be more suitable.

I use both 55-135 tl and Nikor 135 to shoot my grandsons baseball successfully. 
Nikor of course must be focused manually. 
Dan

See #46 on Barnacks monthly for August to see example of 135mm Nikor.

Cheers, Dan.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just now, jaapv said:

Except that it takes quite a bit of skill to use for sports. The 55-135 would be more suitable.

Jaap, I think that can be said for most long-focal length lenses. Of course a zoom is more versatile. But for occasional needs, I enjoy working within the limitations of a fixed focal-length lens.

I have no problem with manual focus, indeed it is often preferable because of the shallow DOF but for less experienced shooters and dynamic situations like sports AF makes life a lot more simple. Combined with OIS it allows shots that would be hard to get with a manual lens. As for zoom, the situations described by the OP make for a fixed shooting, position, making a zoom lens almost mandatory. 

Thanks for the comments/suggestions.  I'm not a very experienced manual shooter (yet) so AF is pretty much a have to have at this point. I like that the Sigma has more range/length than the Leica 55-135 which would likely bail me out of a number of photographic situations. Would love to see the Sigma in the flesh just to get size/feel but pandemic puts the brakes on that for now.

Lens rentals is wonderful for just this. I got one from them when it just arrived: lovely lens and great image quality, especially for the price, but concluded it wasn’t for me. A bit heavy to handhold for long periods, a bit tricky to get good shots, lots of misses (likely poor operator!). The 55-135 is easier, and is a more “supportive” lens. 

A trick for fast and effortless handling is to use the tripod ring, The foot is good for gripping the lens. It is precisely under the balance point; it is important, when using a long lens, that the left hand grips it in that point.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rob7P
      Hi,
      Maybe the future of the CL and TL2 will be the same sensor of the Sony alpha 7C: compact camera, full frame and 24 MP? 
      There are also rumors of an SL2-S with this specs so it can be the end of the CL and TL lineup?
      Currently I have a T and I'm worried if upgrade to a TL2 for Black Friday or wait.. I will be happy to uprade for the extra megapixels of the TL2 but there are some cons for the fact that with the same sensor the pixels are smaller?
      Happy if anyone can help with my decision 

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By Torpille
      I would like to share my experience with the Leica CL after one year of use.
      The first idea was to find a replacement for my Canon 6D after 6 years of loyal service.
      Why change to a Leica CL, you ask? 
      - To gain in size and weight and really take my camera everywhere.
      - to benefit from EVF technology
      - to make full use of the lenses of my Leica T, which I love but is not the most efficient camera available.
      - to use my M lenses much more easily than with the T.
      - to finally have a single ecosystem
      The observation is simple: the CL is an excellent daily camera especially with the Zoom 18-56 mm, when the light is there ...
      - The EVF is of good quality.
      - The image quality is very good, as is the ISO management.
      - The weight and size are very nice.
      - The Thumb support greatly improves ergonomics and allows to limit the movement of the focus slider.
      - Only the autonomy is a real weak point and 2-3 batteries are essential.
      - Wifi is very slow and for my part almost unusable, I don't have enough patience !
      Concerning the TL lenses, I am more reserved :
      The Elmarit-18mm was part of the kit, I will discard it because I'm not too comfortable with this focal length, but the image quality is good and I recommend it to anyone who likes to shoot with 28mm.
      The Zoom 11-23 is very good, the color rendering is excellent, but for specific and occasional use. I only use it very rarely. 
      For my use, the zoom 18-56mm  at my preference on the CL, the quality is good, and the weight perfect. It is really the ideal partner of this camera because it is very versatile.
      I don't need the 55-135mm zoom and haven't tried it. (Same for the Elmarit TL 60mm)
      The fact remains that, at this stage, a luminous lens is missing, a real all-purpose optic, usable indoors and for street photography :
      I used the TL-35mm for a few months, but I didn't keep it. The lens is heavy and the 50mm is not my favorite focal length. But clearly the image quality is superb.
      The Summicron TL- 23mm, which I had with the T, I didn't have a very good experience with it and I sold it.
      But here it is, 35mm is still my favorite focal length and one year after selling the TL-23mm, I ended up buying one to give it/me another chance.
      What motivated me besides the very low price at which it is possible to find it in new condition, is the fact that it is possible to use it with the SL, of course with a reduced resolution but what a result!
      So much so that I don't think I'll go for the Sigma 45mm for the SL.
      Whether with the CL or the SL, we are very close to the Summicron-M 35mm.
      This brings us to the use of the CL with the M lenses :
      The use is simple and efficient, the quality of the images is up to the M.
      An advantage is also that an M 50mm becomes a 75mm, ideal focal length for portraits.

On the other hand, I much prefer the ergonomics provided by the SL for the use of the M optics (the EVF and the joystick really make the difference).

To sum up, I will continue to use with pleasure the Leica CL with the 18-56mm zoom and the 23mm to have a light and luminous equipment
      if needed and hope to have a software improvement of the WIFI.

• By bgb
      I purchased a Q end of last year, liked it so much that I sold my Nikon DSLR, Lumix FZ-2500 and Fuji XE-T3. I then purchased the CL with the 18-56mm lens a few months later. Now with adapters to use my Rokinon wide-angles, and 7 Artisan lenses I find myself using the Leica CL way more than the Q.  There's no doubt that the IQ of photos from the Q, a full-frame camera, are better than the Leica CL, t's a fantastic camera and lens with macro capability.. But I'm thinking of selling it add more lenses for the CL (or at least pay it off 😎).   Anyone else face this situation?    BTW, with all that's going on in the world at this time, I'm fully aware that this is no big deal, but it keeps my mind off the other cataclysmic issues  we're experiencing.  All opinions welcome, any recommendation for lenses?...thanks.  I am currently waiting for arrival of the TTArtisan 35mm F1.4 lens to ship.  Be Well everyone.
    • By twcxz
      Hi everyone, 
      I'm currently working on a project to once and for all fix the analogue Leica CL's broken take up spool problem, by 3D printing them. 
      I've ran a roll through mine with version 2 of the spool and it works pretty good, but i'm working on version 3 which should be better still - I got the dimensions slightly wrong on this one - it's too short.
      How many of you CL owners would be interested in buying such an item? They'd cost around £20 and be sold through eBay all said and done, and I'd make a video showing how to take apart the CL and install them, as well as reassembly - International shipping would happen too through the eBay GSP as I'm UK based.
      The attached photo is version 2 and not by any means the final version as this is still in very early development, but the quality of the ones that go on sale will be much higher. This one was printed by a friend of mine, but I'm soon going to acquire my own printer and make them much better.
      I know also that this doesn't look anything like the original, but when I copied the original part dimension for dimension, curve by curve, it didn't work and suffered the same problems as the original.. immediately. Thus I simplified it and made it more "3D Printer friendly."
      Thanks
      Tom

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By me.daveobrien@gmail.com
      Hey all,  was curious about how the technical aspects of the Zeiss Biogon lenses ( 25mm or 28mm ) would match up with the CL + adapter. Im between either of those or the TL 23mm Summicron. Main use cases being travel and street photography.
      The image render from the Zeiss seems almost better than the 23mm but worried that it wont perform as well on the CL vs a dedicated lens. 
      Has anyone used both on a CL or T? 
      Thanks in advance.