Haze or something else?

omar_munoz

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey everyone, I purchased a Leica 90mm f2.8 Tele-Elmarit-M from KEH that was in their “UGLY” section. The exterior and mount still looked great and far from ugly or in bad condition however when I peered through the lens at its widest aperture and with a flash light, it appears there’s a little bit of dust but also something I can’t quite identify.

Here is a video of what I see: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CI1uDVniemBjWn3UD10sRXghEIt9IKuA/view?usp=drivesdk. Just to note, you can clearly see what I mean around the 10 second mark til the end.

I emailed both YYE and Don Goldberg to ask their opinions. YYE mentioned it appears to possibly be coating aging problem and Don said it could be haze. I preemptively sent it to YYE to have it looked at in person but does anyone know what it could possibly be and if it would be able to be cleaned?

Edited by omar_munoz
Missed some information.

I see what you mean but I don't think it's haze because the edges are too pronounced.  It appears to be a problem with the coating on one of the lens elements and possibly age-related(?) delamination.

If it was my lens and it wasn't causing any visible effects in the pictures I wouldn't worry about it and would just use the lens.

Pete.