20 Years Leica Forum

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I unsuccessfully racked my brains to remember either one of the forum names used by 'Frank' who, as a self-appointed Armchair CEO, knew everything that Leica was doing wrong and what they clearly should be doing instead.  From memory he issued an open invitation to any members of forum to join him at his birthday party at his house on the French Riviera.  I suspect that the uptake might have been low.  Can anybody recall either of his forum names?

Pete.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Frank...

I think more moderation time was spent with him than just about any other member.

Helios was here before the forum became under Andreas's ownership, but many a long evening could be spent looking at his scans of shots of bolts under bridges, taken with film, so must have been scanned, so that he could prove that film couldn't be scanned in the first place (as mentioned by Steve)

38 minutes ago, farnz said:

I unsuccessfully racked my brains to remember either one of the forum names used by 'Frank' who, as a self-appointed Armchair CEO, knew everything that Leica was doing wrong and what they clearly should be doing instead.  From memory he issued an open invitation to any members of forum to join him at his birthday party at his house on the French Riviera.  I suspect that the uptake might have been low.  Can anybody recall either of his forum names?

Pete.

IIRC he used his e-mail initially. 

• Like 1

On 9/20/2020 at 11:26 AM, LUF Admin said:

A screenshot of the first version (a badly crafted Perl script) can no longer be found, but here is an archive version of the Leica website:

https://web.archive.org/web/20001017174410/http://www.leica-camera.com/markt/forum/index_e.html

I can't get that link to work I'm afraid.

It seems to need some ancient version of Netscape or IE4

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I’ve been a member 10 years and that seems like a long time

well done Andreas.

i note that that original webpage described the Forum as an ‘intersecting point between the customer and manufacturer‘. A shame that the manufacturer is not  interactive here except when there has been a ‘crisis’.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2020 at 2:00 AM, wda said:

I remember the old forum well. For a time it suffered some troublesome trolls. I think Andreas, with help from skilled moderators, was instrumental in controlling those unwanted troublemakers although they might have been excluded before the change-over.. Somewhere I have archived pages of helpful discussions, but I fear they are/were stored on old floppy discs, some 5 inches in diameter. That would be a technical challenge to read those again. I also remember how some members were upset by the loss of their numbers of postings during the change-over. We all went back to zero.

I joined on 26th Sept 2002. I well remember the old forum and those trolls. So glad they are no longer around.

Congratulations and Happy  Birthday to this wonderful  Forum, and a big thank you to Andreas and the Mods for making this one of the nicest places to visit on the Internet. 

I've been around since the old 'official' Leica days but can't remember exactly when although pretty sure it was a bit before I retired in 2003, mainly a lurker at the moment, but I keep promising myself to get out the remaing Leicas and use some film 

Happy birthday to all, any excuse for a celebration!

Gerry

• Like 1

What I remember very well is HOW i got to know the existence of the Forum... as a longtime Leica user, I had been completely out from the digital trend...never used one... I discovered that Leica had announced a Digital M and thought "well, let's give a look on the Net... there must be some opinion/discussion about..."  : Leica gained a new customer (all my gear was bought used, previously, M8 was my first "new") and Forum gained one more happy member... 😎

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, gyoung said:

I've been around since the old 'official' Leica days but can't remember exactly when although pretty sure it was a bit before I retired in 2003, mainly a lurker at the moment, but I keep promising myself to get out the remaing Leicas and use some film 

Happy birthday to all, any excuse for a celebration!

Gerry

Merry Christmas! December 27th 2006.

On 9/20/2020 at 5:26 AM, LUF Admin said:

I almost missed it…

The Leica Forum turns 20 years old today!

Over the last days some people on LinkedIn have congratulated me on the 18th anniversary of the Leica Forum, because I gave September 2002 as the starting date. Like with old divas, the date of birth is sometimes blurred in the fog of early times and can't be determined exactly.

But it's a fact:The first Leica Customer Forum - then still part of the Leica website - was launched at photokina 2000, which opened its gates on September 20, 2000.

A screenshot of the first version (a badly crafted Perl script) can no longer be found, but here is an archive version of the Leica website:

https://web.archive.org/web/20001017174410/http://www.leica-camera.com/markt/forum/index_e.html

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

So: Congratulations on your twentieth birthday, Leica Forum!

I will write a detailed documentation of the interesting and tortuous history of the forum when I retire.

Until then only a short „thank you“:

• To Leica Camera AG for the first assignment and for the discussion topics
  • To the first members who breathed life into the Leica Forum
  • All moderators and ex-moderators who keep the store running
  • All advertisers, sponsors and premium members who support the forum financially
  • …and of course to all members who make the forum a lively community!

Andreas

Happy birthday from Chicago !

Dan

Congratulations! I joined in 2003, seeking out information on the Digilux 1! It has been a pretty amazing journey. 

I remember various characters from the early days... FlyGuy... Guy Mancuso circa 2005-2007... What a genuinely great community you built, Andreas.  We appreciate it.

• 4 weeks later...