Vieri

Two misty sunrises on the Tuscan hills

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I love Tuscany in every season, but especially so in the fall or spring, when mist can transform the landscape & the mood of your photos completely.

Sunrise on the hills, 1/40 sec., Leica SL, Leica Vario-Elmarit-SL 90-280mm, Formatt-Hitech Firecrest filters.

Tuscan Sunrise, 1/50 sec., Leica SL, Leica Vario-Elmarit-SL 90-280mm, Formatt-Hitech Firecrest filters.

Thank you for viewing and commenting, best regards

Vieri

The landscape format image is the better of the two as it has a comfortable focal point on the right upper third. It also has a better tonal range. 

The lower image is a compositional mess with no focal point at all and is tonally flat, although I can see what you were trying to do with the layering effect.   

The problem with posting two versions of the same or similar scene is that the weaker image often diminishes the better image and that, I feel, is what has happened here.  

3 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

The landscape format image is the better of the two as it has a comfortable focal point on the right upper third. It also has a better tonal range. 

The lower image is a compositional mess with no focal point at all and is tonally flat, although I can see what you were trying to do with the layering effect.   

The problem with posting two versions of the same or similar scene is that the weaker image often diminishes the better image and that, I feel, is what has happened here.  

Thank you for your comment, Steve. Yes, the first image is much easier to understand, compositionally, so your comment about the second one doesn't surprise me at all. Perhaps reading this might help you: https://www.vieribottazzini.com/2020/07/the-ability-to-read-images.html. You might find my second image tonally flat, but you should definitely work on your own "tone" when commenting other people's work :)

Best regards,

Vieri

I have deleted some posts with a personal fight in this thread.

Critical comments about images are welcome, but please keep a civilised tone and do this without unnecessary offence.

Andreas

Of the two I much prefer the simplicity, almost lyrical quality of the first over the second.

4 hours ago, stuny said:

Of the two I much prefer the simplicity, almost lyrical quality of the first over the second.

+1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If a choice is required, I like the first image a little better. But I also like the second image – both are worth a second and third look.

20 hours ago, stuny said:

Than you very much Stuart, glad you enjoyed them and number 1 in particular :)

16 hours ago, newnew said:

+1

Than you very much Ali :) 

15 hours ago, Michael Hiles said:

If a choice is required, I like the first image a little better. But I also like the second image – both are worth a second and third look.

Thank you very much indeed Michael, glad you enjoyed them :) 

1 hour ago, kalifornier said:

Wow! Fantastic images.

Thank you very much, much appreciated indeed, glad you enjoyed them :)

Best regards,

Vieri

Vieri, good to see you posting again from time to time. Your work is always very inspiring and I have been enjoying it for years.

BTW, I wonder if both shots are  good candidates for BW?

Best regards,

16 hours ago, Louis said:

Vieri, good to see you posting again from time to time. Your work is always very inspiring and I have been enjoying it for years.

BTW, I wonder if both shots are  good candidates for BW?

Best regards,

Hello Louis, great to hear from you, I hope you are doing well :) Thank you for you kind comment, I am glad you enjoyed the images! About a B&W conversion, I believe they might work although I think I might still prefer colours for both of them and definitely for #1.

16 hours ago, Gibbo said:

I like them both!

Thank you very much indeed! :)

Best regards,

Vieri

I like  both pictures very much. Their confrontation in one post is very interesting. Makes one think about composition and preferances: Thank you very much for this stimulating thread!

While the first one is a classic so to say, the composition of the second IMO is more dense (due to longer lens ?) and more exciting due to portrait format and the opponent diagonals. Framed on a wall I would therefore prefer the second one.

Am 20.9.2020 um 12:21 schrieb Vieri:

Sunrise on the hills, 1/40 sec., Leica SL, Leica Vario-Elmarit-SL 90-280mm, Formatt-Hitech Firecrest filters

Beautiful pictures.
These Filters you mention are that ND filter? Was the scenery so bright you needed them? Or are these graduated filter for darkening the sky?

On 9/26/2020 at 1:47 PM, e1k3 said:

I like  both pictures very much. Their confrontation in one post is very interesting. Makes one think about composition and preferances: Thank you very much for this stimulating thread!

While the first one is a classic so to say, the composition of the second IMO is more dense (due to longer lens ?) and more exciting due to portrait format and the opponent diagonals. Framed on a wall I would therefore prefer the second one.

Thank you very much for your comment, I am glad you enjoyed the confrontation and I am happy you enjoyed the second picture :) 

23 hours ago, verwackelt said:

Beautiful pictures.
These Filters you mention are that ND filter? Was the scenery so bright you needed them? Or are these graduated filter for darkening the sky?

Thank you very much, glad you enjoyed them! :) About the filters, I used a mild Grad ND on both images - no ND filters required here. Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Vieri