Battery Contact Discoloration

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi guys,

I know I'm being super paranoid but I just wanted someone with more experience to allay my anxieties!

Is this kind of discoloration (slight bronzing) normal on the battery contact of a Leica MP?

Presume it is, I haven't had any issues but would rather be safe than sorry.

I only use lithium batteries and have begun removing the battery if I anticipate extended periods without use...

Paul

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hi, I've had a look at my MP's (2003) battery contact and it isn't discoloured like the one in your photo. It does look like it's nickel plated spring steel so it wouldn't take much for contamination to discolour it, maybe somebody has prodded it with a finger or not kept the battery clean of finger grease. Use a cotton bud and a tiny smear of metal polish to clean it. In all the years of owning my MP, even during a few years of it being in the drawer, the battery has never gone flat by leaving it in the camera (with it set to 'Off' of course), so if this is what is happening the other option is you have a fault in the circuit. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2020 at 10:27 PM, paulsydaus said:

Hi guys,

I know I'm being super paranoid but I just wanted someone with more experience to allay my anxieties!

Is this kind of discoloration (slight bronzing) normal on the battery contact of a Leica MP?

Presume it is, I haven't had any issues but would rather be safe than sorry.

I only use lithium batteries and have begun removing the battery if I anticipate extended periods without use...

Paul

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I checked the battery terminal in my MP and it doesn't show any discolouring like that, but I don't think your battery terminal is corroding. 

The battery currently in my camera has been there since December 2019.  Unless I have to change it more often due to going flat, I change the battery once a year.