Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f/1.5 ASPH II VM lens announcement

padam

Advertisement (gone after registration)

13 hours ago, tom.w.bn said:

Still don't know what people like about this lens. Worst lens I ever had in my life. With black/white film it was ok, focus shift is a serious issue though. With a digital colour sensor you see the full spectrum of the old lens design for example the worst colour fringing ever in bright scenes. The lens was good for one thing. I learnt that I don't like "character lenses".

I like it's compact size and nice proportions. It seems well behaved stopped down to f/8...on film. On digital? I've no idea.

Here is the Sonnar 50mm 1,5 for Contax II, adapted to Fujifilm X

(The photo was taken with Leica Q🙂)

Claus

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, cboy said:

Lens will ship put soon suposedly. Anyone is going to preorder or wait till the reviews come in?

I preordered straight away. 
I will review it as soon as possible as well. 
I can’t wait to give it a spin, I haven’t been so interested in a lens in a while.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

11 hours ago, Harpomatic said:

I preordered straight away. 
I will review it as soon as possible as well. 
I can’t wait to give it a spin, I haven’t been so interested in a lens in a while.

It would be awesome if you do this. Especially if you have a chance to compare it with the previous version, if not, even so thanks for doing it. The lens was really top notch, cant wait to see whats in the menu with this one!

Which version/combination did you ordered?

Come to think of it they are producing so many versions of this lens is incredible. 3 different chasis with 2 different coating options for each.

Total of 6 options for a manual focus 50mm prime lens in 2020!!! Voigtlander seems to be going all in with this one.

Enjoy it, and happy shooting!

2 hours ago, monoxy said:

It would be awesome if you do this. Especially if you have a chance to compare it with the previous version, if not, even so thanks for doing it. The lens was really top notch, cant wait to see whats in the menu with this one!

Which version/combination did you ordered?

Come to think of it they are producing so many versions of this lens is incredible. 3 different chasis with 2 different coating options for each.

Total of 6 options for a manual focus 50mm prime lens in 2020!!! Voigtlander seems to be going all in with this one.

Enjoy it, and happy shooting!

Hi, I will definitely compare the new and old VM versions: I have the version I coming this week just for that reason!

Actually, I would like to do a comparison of all the fast CV lenses: the three 1.5s, including the LTM one, the 1.2 and 1.1.

The fly in the ointment is that I don’t have the other lenses! Anyone in the surroundings of London or Reading willing to lend one (or more) of those for the endeavour? I should be able to do it in a couple of weeks!

People have done SC vs. MC comparisons for previous Voigtländer lenses. For example, this one by Jon Manjiro:

https://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137366

There's very little difference, aside from a tiny bit more flare wide open that goes away when stopped down a little. There's a minuscule difference in color that's completely meaningless on digital or hybrid, and 99% meaningless in an all-analog workflow, heh.

Edited by raizans
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Size comparison from left: Nokton 50mm f1.2, Nokton 50mm f1.5 II, Nokton 50mm f1.5 (v1)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, adan said:

Why? I would want a lens built to high tolerances (high precision). i would also want a lens that is very tolerant (high tolerance) of daily abuse.

I want my lens built with low tolerances (= high precision). Low tolerance = 0.001mm, high tolerance = 1mm. 

I am not a native English speaker and therefore can’t rule out that I got this wrong. If so, it looks counterintuitive to me.

6 hours ago, trisberg said:

Size comparison from left: Nokton 50mm f1.2, Nokton 50mm f1.5 II, Nokton 50mm f1.5 (v1)

I loved the 1.5 v1 for its rendering. It somewhat remembered be of the 50 Lux ASPH. But I hated the retro-style focus ring with its sharp notches, and returned it.

Now I have the 1.2 and find it quite pleasing in use. But that 1.5 v2 could make a nice addition to my collection 😬

Questions @trisberg

1. How does the v2 compare to the v1 regarding handling, general rendition and bokeh?

2. How does the v2 compare to the 1.2 regarding general rendition and bokeh?

I expect the v2 to render a bit more 'classically' than the 1.2 due to the swirl effect. I’d love to hear your personal opinion!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, trisberg said:

Are you certain that the lens on the right is version 1 of the 50/1.5 Nokton?  I have had the version 1 50/1.5 Nokton for many years, it looks quite different to the lens you've shown, and it is LTM.

Did you mean the first VM version?

Pete.