M10 half-cases – the ultimate half-case thread

marcg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

:D

I’ve bought cases for my Leica cameras in the past and I don’t know why, but I managed to get caught up in the fan-boy hysteria and started dressing them as if my cameras were Barbie – although I prefer to think that my most recent one was Ken.

I even felt that a Luigi or Arte de Mano case would probably improve my photography – in a kind of sassy, if my camera looks good then my photos look good, kind of way.

It was like being driven round by a lunatic.

Then just recently I had a moment of clarity and decided to try M10 Leica cases advertised on Amazon for about £20.  There seems to be lots of different makes – but I think that they are pretty well all identical.  I was pretty sceptical but at 20 quid I thought I would take a punt.

Being an Amazon prime subscriber, the half-case arrived within 24 hours.

I have to say there’s nothing wrong with it. It doesn’t have little fasteners around the strap lugs. It's intended to fasten by means of an attachment into the tripod hole at the base of the camera. I preferred not to use that and took it out.

But the case doesn’t need attaching at all. It fits so snugly that there seems to be little danger of it falling off. It's lined with some kind of felt so there is no risk of scratching the camera when you remove the case to change the battery or take out the memory card. Just like a real half-case

I don’t know if the quality of the leather is better or worse than a more expensive half-case. Frankly it feels pretty well the same. It’s not flimsy. It holds its shape very well. And most importantly it protects the camera in exactly the same way that a much more expensive case might do. It also has the little boss on the front to assist your grip on the right-hand just like real half-cases.

The case I bought was black. A bit too shiny for my liking – but that will go. It had white stitching which I didn’t like but a permanent black felt-tip marker soon sorted that out. (But of course I could have chosen any other colour). Would I dare do that on a $400 real-half case?

What amazed me is that it didn’t hurt my camera in the slightest or my photography either – but on the other hand it gave me a lot more fun because the money I saved instead of buying a $400 leather case, I decided to spend on quite a decent 90 mm Leica lens or maybe a 135 mm from eBay for a bit of experimentation - unlike a real half-case

What’s not to like?

Edited by marcg
  • Haha 1

I just couldn't resist an 'Ultimate' thread with one post. Luigi case.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

"...Then just recently I had a moment of clarity and decided to try M10 Leica cases advertised on Amazon for about £20.  There seems to be lots of different makes – but I think that they are pretty well all identical.  I was pretty sceptical but at 20 quid I thought I would take a punt..."

Can you provide us a link to your half case?  I looked on www.amazon.com but did not see an M10 half case for the price you mention.

Edited by Herr Barnack

• 2 weeks later...

See how the M10 goes with the KAZA 's leather half case.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Nice case, However, it seems to leave the back completely exposed (pictures on site). On the M10 and its variants, all essential settings (aperture via lens ring) and others like ISO, speed, exposure compensation (on top of camera) are easily accessed. In most cases the LCD is not required unless one needs to 'focus peak' or 'chimp'. Hence I prefer the Luigi case which has a rear hinged flap that can be brought down when needed.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2020 at 12:05 PM, rramesh said:

I just couldn't resist an 'Ultimate' thread with one post. Luigi case.

2 hours ago, papajay said:

See how the M10 goes with the KAZA 's leather half case.

Yes, very nice cases I'm sure, but neither of these are giving us the answer to the question:

On 9/18/2020 at 12:20 PM, marcg said:

Yes, but how much?

If people are going to post up pictures of their beautiful cases, then it would be helpful if those people would actually reveal how much they paid for them.

8 minutes ago, marcg said:

Yes, very nice cases I'm sure, but neither of these are giving us the answer to the question:

If people are going to post up pictures of their beautiful cases, then it would be helpful if those people would actually reveal how much they paid for them.

I don't think this will be appropriate as some buyers get special deals or take advantage of offers. Sharing purchase prices would put undue pressure on vendors. Note that all case vendors sell online via their site or markets like Amazon, eBay etc. If you like a case, you can easily check out the price.

I don't see what the problem is about putting pressure on vendors. The more information which is shared, the more choice the consumer has and the more competitive is the market.

What you're suggesting is anti-competitive.

Anyway, up to individuals as to whether or not they want to disclose this frightfully personal and  confidential information and I don't think it is reasonable to generalise that telling people that disclosure of the price of their case would be inappropriate.

It's not as if I'm asking you to show us your wilie.

£20 give or take – delivered.  (There, I said it :o)

And by the way, it's completely black. I think there is a slight red cast on the images because they were taken next to a red tablecloth

Edited by marcg
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

I have a LIM's half case for my M10R.  When this case is on the camera the back display shows "Bottom Cover Removed" (this goes away after a few seconds) but the viewfinder flashes SD and the camera will not work.  Is there something in the menu to turn this notification off or is there something to do on the bottom of the camera with the bottom cover off?

23 minutes ago, billhart said:

It doesn't have a hatch for the battery since it has a built in grip and ARCA tripod plate, but you do have to remove the baseplate.

I suspect, if it doesn’t have the battery/card removal flap, there is no magnet to mimic the base plate.