50mm rigid market value

JimmyCheng

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've recently come across a near mint rigid v2 (only one light mark on the body, otherwise perfect), wonder if it is worth it for 1.9k USD?

I currently use the lux asph and thought it would be a nice addition for that gentler look. What do you guys think? (or alternatively I can get a noctilux 0.95 for a decent price but I personally think that lens is too bulky to be carried around and I am afraid it will be left on the shelf gathering dust).

7 minutes ago, romanus53 said:

Gentler look? First thought a collapsible Summicron would be more gentler. Second thought as you want to use it you need clean glass but don't need a mint body. That price is on the high side for me but some collectors want mint and unused condition and propably pay that sum.

yes the glass is in perfect condition, not even cleaning marks.

vor 6 Minuten schrieb JimmyCheng:

yes the glass is in perfect condition, not even cleaning marks.

no fogging or haze either? if I'd buy an old lens to use I make some test-shots to check rf-coupling. sharpness and and clarity of the pic. And then you decide wether you want to pay that price or wait for a cheaper one giving similar results. I agree on the Noctilux, nice look but to bulky. The pictures you make with the lens is what counts.

17 minutes ago, romanus53 said:

Gentler look? First thought a collapsible Summicron would be more gentler. Second thought as you want to use it you need clean glass but don't need a mint body. That price is on the high side for me but some collectors want mint and unused condition and propably pay that sum.

I thought the collapsible and rigid lenss had very similar optical performances. 

8 minutes ago, wda said:

I thought the collapsible and rigid lenss had very similar optical performances. 

AFAIK the '53 (v1) came in both collapsible and ridgid styles but by the time of the v2 ('56) it was ridgid only and built with a slightly modified optical formula.

Philip.

EDIT : Here's what Mr. Rockwell says about the v2;

"This SUMMICRON has a slightly revised optical design from its collapsible predecessor, still with 7 elements but with superior performance."

Full comparison of 50mm Summicron types can be found here;

https://www.kenrockwell.com/leica/50mm-summicron-comparison-table.htm

Edited by pippy
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 3 Minuten schrieb wda:

As I have both I agree that they are close but different, v1 looks a little bit softer wide open to me and v2 gives more resolution, but v1 has a soft frontlens and some have Thorium-glass and emitting gamma-rays. For landcape I perfer v2 on digital and the identical DR on film, portaits can benefit from v1. But you can't go wrong with either, both are great and classic lenses.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, wda said:

Although they are both 7 element designs with 2 glued elements there are 4 LaK9 elements in the Collapsible and 3 in the rigid, resulting in a recomputation (by human!) and slightly different air gap "lenses". The results are still very close indeed, but some may notice small differences. It should be noted that one master photographer preferred the Collapsible...

Edited by 105012
  • Like 3

vor 10 Minuten schrieb wda:

I own several samples of both of them (collapsible and rigid v1), and while what you say is generally correct, there is a marked difference in performance at full aperture. The rigid performs significantly better at full aperture.

Edited by wizard
Ergänzung
  • Like 1

vor 2 Minuten schrieb pippy:

AFAIK the '53 (v1) came in both collapsible and ridgid styles but by the time of the v2 ('56) it was ridgid only and built with a slightly modified optical formula.

Philip.

they are different have a look at this great site http://www.marcocavina.com/articoli_fotografici/50mm_Leica_a_telemetro/00_pag.htm

• Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, JimmyCheng said:

yes the glass is in perfect condition

It is very very rare for this lens not to have haze that cannot be cleaned as it is in, rather than on, the glass. Unless you  know how to recognise it and are confident there is none the price is very high.

6 minutes ago, romanus53 said:

Crikey! That's quite comprehensive! I only wish I could understand Italian!

I must have a better look at that when I have more time to spare; some stunning pieces of equipment on show. Thanks for posting, romanus!

Philip.

7 minutes ago, pedaes said:

It is very very rare for this lens not to have haze that cannot be cleaned as it is in, rather than on, the glass. Unless you  know how to recognise it and are confident there is none the price is very high.

Gotcha, yeah I was a bit concerned for that as well, considering the price. It's way safer to buy more recent glasses I guess.

• Like 1

Since decades that I use Summicron 50mm (almost every model these , this , those ), some in multiple units over time,

one thing that I can say is "they are all different" depending on their "conservation state", lens elements or mechanism.

So if we are lucky to have one in good shape, performance can be at top ... (as when they leaved factory, to be clear not as good as newer models);

but in most cases they may need repair/CLA if possible at all.

😉

...my now best choice "to use" is last Summicron 50th Anniversary, the one at left, the right is for LTM use on my Barnacks

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I still use one Rigid and some DR 😇

Edited by a.noctilux

13 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

Since decades that I use Summicron 50mm (almost every model these , this , those ), some in multiple units over time,

one thing that I can say is "they are all different" depending on their "conservation state", lens elements or mechanism.

So if we are lucky to have one in good shape, performance can be at top ... (as when they leaved factory, to be clear not as good as newer models);

but in most cases they may need repair/CLA if possible at all.

😉

...my now best choice "to use" is last Summicron 50th Anniversary, the one at left, the right is for LTM use on my Barnacks

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I still use one Rigid and some DR 😇

that 50th anniversary is beautiful, there's one on ebay for 4.2k, do you think it's worth the price tag?

23 minutes ago, JimmyCheng said:

that 50th anniversary is beautiful, there's one on ebay for 4.2k, do you think it's worth the price tag?

Sorry, I don't know for other person if price is right or not.

I'd not sell mine at any price.

This lens is not "perfect", but it's the "best for me as Summicron 50", a bit on heavy side to be so smooth in use.

Comparing to Rigid, wide focus ring with no infinity lock if one doesn't like.

more reading 50th A

Edited by a.noctilux

Timely topic since I've been window-shopping.  I can't say if that price is good.  I've seen a wide range of values.  I saw one on flea-bay for nearly $2,000 and another, from a very reputable dealer, for about $1,100.  

I have a DR that I enjoy and would like to have a Rigid for digital.  

Ray

Are you using it or keeping it as a collection piece? 2k is very high for that lens if you are planning to actively use it.  I saw one the other day in mint condition for 2k and thought it was beautiful, but If I use it, it will get tarnished eventually and I may as well have gotten a good user copy with good glass for 1-1200$ and saved some cash. 

26 minutes ago, Ccoppola82 said:

Are you using it or keeping it as a collection piece? 2k is very high for that lens if you are planning to actively use it.  I saw one the other day in mint condition for 2k and thought it was beautiful, but If I use it, it will get tarnished eventually and I may as well have gotten a good user copy with good glass for 1-1200$ and saved some cash. 

I join this opinion : one has to keep in mind that a Summicron rigid can still be maintained completely (glass included) from some well known labs in Europe/USA (and also far East - probably) : my V2 (1963) is just acceptable as body's cosmetics but is optically at top (restored/polished 8 years ago) and a pleasure to use. How can it cost, nowadays, a well made CLA on a "good user" that can be found, as said above, in the range of 1K ?  I don't know, but think you globally stay below the 1,9K figured.

Edited by luigi bertolotti