Using R lenses on a M240

Henry Taylor

Advertisement (gone after registration)

About to buy a good use M240 and just read Ken Rockwell's report on the M240  not working too well with certain lenses.

1.I was planning on using my R  21mm Super-angulon  

2. R 90mm f2

3. 15mm screw mount Voighlander

4. and other screw mount lenses 

What is your opinion  I hate to. give up a few of my best lenses 

Thanks Hank

Edited by Henry Taylor
added a word

Hi Henry

You'll get red edges, italian flag, on anything less than 35mm.  I use the same 15mm Voigtlander ltm and red flag is irritating, but very quick to correct in Lightroom Flat Field Correction...once set up it corrects just about anything withwide angle colours and usually only one or two "subtractive" image.  Don't forget FFC works with DNG's only.

It's quick but another small frustrating thing to do...assuming you use Lightroom.

All best, 

Basically R lenses are much less prone to such errors, due to the longer register distance placing the exit pupil further away (in many cases)

The Voigtländer 15 will be the most affected one.

BTW - I think that  Ken Rockwell is better read on HiFi than on photography. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks guys for your help. I am excited to get the M240 but to my surprise it  turn out to be  a MP 😃. Yes some of what Ken says you have to take it with a grain of salt.

I was thinking That maybe I should  exchanging the R 90 f2 For the  M 90 2.8 tele-elmarit but then again. 

Interested in your opinion

• Like 1

Hello Hank,

If you mean Tele-Elmarit (thin) 2.8/90mm, have a look in this thread mostly #10 adan wrote

flarey, adan explained how so well

I do use some T-E 90 over time, each was (is ...I still have one) flarey, maybe good for romantic portrait or plants, but in general pictures I use other 90mm lens (bigger Elmarit 90,

or Macro-Elmar-M if I can do with f/4)

For more informations on 90mm "M", UliWer made it clear, here

As side note...

Don't neglict the Summarit-M 2.4 or 2.5/90mm which can be a good choice.

Edited by a.noctilux

Hello Hank,

I had the Voigtlander 15 screw mount and I sold it because of the Italian Flag (I dont like Flat Field or Cornerfix). The only Voigtlander 15 working on recent M without red edges is the series 3, the more recent.
For what concern the 90, I would suggest you to evaluate the Elmarit-M 90/2.8 with sliding hood, en excellent lens not at all expensive.

I wish you a great fun with your MP.
Cheers, Enrico