My Cousin is on this Wall

lmans

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

There was a lot of controversy when they unveiled the memorial, but we immediately found it stunningly beautiful, haunting and appropriate. 

In 1972 my best friend was riding the back seat of an F4 on a bombing run over the Ho Chi Minh Trail in Laos when he was shot down.  They finally recovered some of his remains (some teeth in 2007 - So he's on the wall, now),and his older daughter, Sharon,  only the 9th woman in history to achieve the grade of General in USAF was able to identify him -  she was about 6 when her father died.  His younger daughter, Rebecca is also a high achiever and among other things has done a great deal of charitable work, is an extreme athlete with 7 world championships, made a film about her "search" for her father (Blood Road) that won an Emmy, and is a volunteer firefighter.  She had no memories of her father, but I've had the honor and pleasure of helping her fill in the gaps - I'm about to email her another recovered memory of her father.  Both daughters volunteer at the wall when they can.  I encourage you to view the video (link below) from memorial day, two years ago.  You will find it interesting and compelling, and you'll probably become a bit misty, as I do each time I view it..

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=rebecca+rusch+memorial+day+at+teh+wall&docid=607995866933494953&mid=887774D7954146DA8F2E887774D7954146DA8F2E&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

• Like 2

Good video....very moving. ...... This is the type of memory that needs to kept alive...real humanity and anguish from those who are alive now. Thanks for sharing..... Videos like this make 'all memorials' or 'walls'...more to be treasured.  I think we forget to do that. 

Even today, as you or I might walk up to one that represented another war, long forgotten and hundreds of years old....we forget that someone, someplace.... suffered anguish over the cost of that life, or the building of the wall in remembrance of. It makes 'all walls' become treasures.

Thanks for doing your part as well, jim

• Like 1

On 9/17/2020 at 9:11 AM, lmans said:

A 'dichotomy of life'...some will walk by a war memorial and evoke emotions of loss and pain.....

While others walk by wondering if their ice cream is going to melt by the time they get to the other side...

I'm curious, how old was your cousin when he died? 

1 hour ago, RayD28 said:

Tragic, but expected.  I hope the family's wound has healed.  

It has been so long ago...that wounds have healed but the memory lives on or perhaps the injustice of all, if that makes sense. All wars are essentially injustice though.