Is this IA correct?

maxspbr

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes it will be like that. Little offer. But in Brazil 1000 USD is a lot of money.

And believe me. If the black color had remained so excellent, the nickel parts would not have to be painted.
The worn Vulkanit also tells a different story.

Edited by Reini
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Reini said:

Yes it will be like that. Little offer. But in Brazil 1000 USD is a lot of money.

Surely it is! 

Here Leicas are quite expensive. IAs usualy go for R$7-10.000. Just to make a comparison with other models I have seen on last few weeks: 

M4 (no lens), very good: R$7000

M8 (no lens), pristine: R$8000

M3 DS, Summicron collapsible, beaten: R$5500,oo

IIIg, prinstine, Elmar 5cm/2.8 not that good: R$6000,oo

I thought a lot about this IA but... For this price (and after so great help by all of you) I'll wait for the "right" camera.

Just picked up on this now. It is an obvious repaint, something I would never want as a collector, but some people like them. The dimpled mushroom shutter button is correct as is the one screw at the top front. I have a similar set with an ETRIN bag, cardboard holder for 2 FILCAs and FODIS with a very similar SN on the camera - see photo below, the set on the right. The lens is definitely odd. While I think it is genuine, someone has done a serious amount of messing around with a coating of some kind. Likewise the wind and rewind knobs seem to have had the same treatment. Yes, the rangefinder is upside down and back to front as J.C has noted. A FOFER should in theory work with the camera, but the original set would have included a FODIS/FODUA.

If this camera is working it could be treated like one one of those '0' Series replicas, which are not really the same as the real thing. The mechanical condition seems to be original, but the cosmetic condition is not. Most experienced collectors would not want this.

My similar set is shown on the right below. The camera on the left is a much earlier 4 digit model. It was brassed when I got it and I much prefer it this way to a repainted item.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

William

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, willeica said:

Just picked up on this now. It is an obvious repaint, something I would never want as a collector, but some people like them. The dimpled mushroom shutter button is correct as is the one screw at the top front. I have a similar set with an ETRIN bag, cardboard holder for 2 FILCAs and FODIS with a very similar SN on the camera - see photo below, the set on the right. The lens is definitely odd. While I think it is genuine, someone has done a serious amount of messing around with a coating of some kind. Likewise the wind and rewind knobs seem to have had the same treatment. Yes, the rangefinder is upside down and back to front as J.C has noted. A FOFER should in theory work with the camera, but the original set would have included a FODIS/FODUA.

If this camera is working it could be treated like one one of those '0' Series replicas, which are not really the same as the real thing. The mechanical condition seems to be original, but the cosmetic condition is not. Most experienced collectors would not want this.

My similar set is shown on the right below. The camera on the left is a much earlier 4 digit model. It was brassed when I got it and I much prefer it this way to a repainted item.

William

Both lovely sets, William!

• Thanks 1

Max, it looks like you might be better off waiting until international travel is normal again, buying a trip to Reini’s home city of Vienna, and visiting the well-known dealers there (Leicashop or Jo Geier) who will sell you something much nicer than you can get for the same price in Brazil.  The trip will pay for itself.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 6 Minuten schrieb M9reno:

Max, it looks like you might be better off waiting until international travel is normal again, buying a trip to Reini’s home city of Vienna, and visiting the well-known dealers there (Leicashop or Jo Geier) who will sell you something much nicer than you can get for the same price in Brazil.  The trip will pay for itself.

Even better: I'm going to Brazil and bring Max a Leica. Hasn't been there for a long time ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, M9reno said:

That's an old dream! :D Even before the prices went through the roof a few years ago. (I'm collecting and using Leicas since 2002 and have had chance to get some fine cameras on more down-to-earth prices). 

For a South American Leica enthusiast (I am a Colombian, by the way) the imported cameras marked "Lutz Ferrando" surely command a special interest.  See:

http://www.wetzlar-historica-italia.it/lutzferrando.html

After this article was written, I came into possession of the very same I A shown near the bottom of the page (sold by a dealer in Milan - going by fcmil on eBay).  Note the worn nickel, unrestored, which is how I personally prefer it.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, M9reno said:

For a South American Leica enthusiast (I am a Colombian, by the way) the imported cameras marked "Lutz Ferrando" surely command a special interest.  See:

After this article was written, I came into possession of the very same I A shown near the bottom of the page (sold by a dealer in Milan - going by fcmil on eBay).  Note the worn nickel, unrestored, which is how I personally prefer it.

When we had the LHSA group in Wetzlar in 2018, one of the members from Argentina was very enthused about Lutz Ferrando marked cameras. I note that Lutz Ferranda are opticians as were Pollocks in Dublin who sold my engraved Leica II Model D in 1932. Engraved/marked cameras are highly prized and my friend Tony Hurst who is a renowned collector of all makes of camera says that these are the ones to go for if they can be got. In some cases the engraving relates not to the importer, such as the British ones which are marked Sinclair who were retailers on Charing Cross Road/Whitehall. I have Sinclair engraved cameras from both addresses which are actually the same location as the address changed about 1929. Tiranty marked Leicas are much sought after by French collectors and there are many others eg Koch of Zurich etc. Perhaps we should start a thread to see how many importer/retailer engravings/plates/markings we can come up with, irrespective of nationality?

William

• Like 3

7 hours ago, willeica said:

Perhaps we should start a thread to see how many importer/retailer engravings/plates/markings we can come up with, irrespective of nationality?

William

I think that is worth considering William, I have a rather nice Leica II marked as: Sold by James A. Sinclair & Co. Ltd., 3 Whitehall, London S.W.1. I believe that address is now a food outlet.

2 hours ago, Matlock said:

I think that is worth considering William, I have a rather nice Leica II marked as: Sold by James A. Sinclair & Co. Ltd., 3 Whitehall, London S.W.1. I believe that address is now a food outlet.

I have that one and also one pre 1929 when the store was in Charing Cross Road which was actually the same location. They just changed the name of the address. My Whitehall example also came with an ever ready case with the address and also a tiny little instruction leaflet for the back pocket of the case with the address on it. I also have a few early cameras with a sticker inside the bottom plate or that came with a marked lens cloth. I might start something on a thread later today. My nicest example has a rewind knob engraved with the address 50 Grafton Street, Dublin, the address from which it was sold in 1932. I used it last year to take a photo of the same building (no longer the site of a Leica dealer) 87 years later as a form of homecoming for the camera, which I had purchased from the UK. 

William 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, M9reno said:

Lutz Ferrando was quite a legend - here in Brazil they had stores in several cities before the war and not very difficult to find Leica equipment with their engravings. They were not the Leitz agents here, as far as I know, but I never saw a camera or anything else with engraving from the official one.

14 hours ago, willeica said:

It is an obvious repaint, something I would never want as a collector, but some people like them.

William

I find it interesting that some people love to repaint their cameras whilst others seem to spend time and effort removing paint to give a "brassed" effect. I have three black paint finished early Leicas. My II and a IA, converted to II spec by Leica, both have very good paint finish with minimal brassing. My unconverted IA has a top plate that is worn in the places which you would expect with good finish elsewhere. The base plate, strangely, has been very crudely repainted with, what looks like a water based paint. All the more strange as the paint finish underneath is not at all bad. 

3 hours ago, maxspbr said:

Lutz Ferrando was quite a legend - here in Brazil they had stores in several cities before the war and not very difficult to find Leica equipment with their engravings. They were not the Leitz agents here, as far as I know, but I never saw a camera or anything else with engraving from the official one.

A folder by Klein, Leitz agent in Brazil. As far as I know they used to make engravings. But I never saw one. 

Leicas M would have the seal with an K if sent to them. Never saw one of these, either!

• Like 1