Kamyar

Tri elmar 16-18-21 for m10m and sl2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey guys. 
what do you think tri elmar ? 
for street and landscape on sl2 and m10m

Hi Guy, the wider angle focal lengths would not be my choice for street. However the lens  would be useful for travel and landscapes. 

I use it on an M10 and an M10M. It is fantastic. Only disadvantage is that you need the screen to see what you are doing.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Those focal lengths seem to me to be quite wide for landscape work. Perhaps, useful for an occasional situation where you have very tight space constraints or something interesting to include in a very near foreground but otherwise, the focal lengths all seem quite a bit too short to be useful.

It might be interesting on the street but again, it seems quite wide for everyday use - unless your style is to "get right up in their face".

It is interesting for architecture and for overviews on holidays etc.

3 hours ago, KASHMIR said:

I use it on an M10 and it is a fantastic lens: no vignetting and zero distorsion

Hi. Use with multi finder or not? 

Hi,

I own one and use it fairly frequently with an M-P and EVF2. I do not have the external viewfinder , so I cannot use it with my M9. Wth the EVF2 finder I can use the built-in horizontal and vertical levels and that is crucial for me. Focusing, if not just using the dof scale, is best done with the rangefinder and viewing with the EVF2. 

Kashmir is not quite correct about distortion. There is some 'moustache-type' distortion, but it is not always visible or distracting. That type of distortion is not correctable in post.

Edited by Jean-Michel
dof is not 'dog"!

I use the WATE on my M10 but also with an adapter on my Nikon Z7. Great lens for landscape and architecture. 

The vignetting and distortion can be corrected. Adobe Lightroom offers dedicated profiles for each focal length to correct distortion (should you feel that this would be actually necessary).

The WATE is part of my standard M10-R kit now replacing the SEM 21.  Personal taste, of course, but I'm very fond of 16mm and 21mm.  I haven't used it on the SL2 as I have the Pano 16-35 doing that duty, so I can't comment on how well it does adapted to that body, but I will say that overall I prefer its rendering on the 10-R to the pano on the SL2.

I love my WATE! One of the best lenses for travel. I sold my 21/2.8 ASPH to help finance it. I started out using the Viso 020 on my my Med tour in 2018, but put it away after the first day. I used the rear screen for composing, which worked very well.

Here’s the article I wrote for the LHSA Viewfinder on it

https://lhsa.org/2019/06/the-wate-wide-angle-tri-elmar-the-ideal-travel-lens/#myaccount

I love my WATE too! 🙂 And the love got even more intense with the M10. On the M9 I used the »Universal Wide-Angle Viewfinder«. It looks bulky but it does a very good job with all the different frame lines and its build-in spirit level. On the M10 the Visoflex is my first choice. This fine mechanics wide angle zoom power pack is simply a stunning lens to me. Didn't use the WATE on the M10M yet but I guess this combination will shine.

Here are two shots I posted last year. 

Edited by RF’sDelight

Kamyar,  The WATE is a most excellent lens on the M10-M, M10-R and SL2.  The lens renders excellent color, next to zero distortion, next to zero field curvature, resolves beautifully especially at f/8 across the frame, either no or minimal aberrations to mention and offers three focal lengths and those in between.  Most technical reviews give it highly positive marks.  When I do challenging and remote hikes for my clients requirements for landscape photographs, I take the WATE when the S system weight becomes a major factor in achieving the photographs that I need.  Based on my many years of experience, the WATE is not a lens to wait on...buy it, and create amazing landscape and street photographs with it.  Hope this helps.  r/ Mark 

Edited by LeicaR10

I’m a bit puzzled. I can see the attraction of the WATE for portability, but the 16-35 is surely in a different league, as it should be for its bulk. 

16 hours ago, jrp said:

I’m a bit puzzled. I can see the attraction of the WATE for portability, but the 16-35 is surely in a different league, as it should be for its bulk. 

This is a very important point, at least if your main interest is to use it as a landscape lens which is it is for me. How does it hold up against a native lens like the 16-35 or some other DSLR landscape lens like one of the wide Zeiss Milvus lenses on a high Mpixel sensor? I wonder if anyone has done any comparison.