6 Bit Coding for WATE and Leica M10-P

rramesh

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I coded a Voigtlander 15 as WATE by applying paint in the provided groove for the 6 Bit Coding.

When mounted on the M10-P, the Lens Detection does not show AUTO, rather indicates 4/16 mm. When I click this, it brings up Manual M with only three options for 16-18-21 f/4.0 ASPH 16mm, 18mm and 21mm.

I assume this is normal behavior as the WATE has three selection options. Is this right?

You don't specify which 15, but still these threads on coding Voightlanders might be of interest.

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/242718-6-bit-coding-voightlander-15mm-f45-vm-iii/

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4001057

As well as a number of others if you Google coding voightlander 15

Edited by Good To Be Retired
  • Like 1

The lens is Voigtlander VM 15mm/f4.5 III.

It is coded as 010000 (Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21mm f/4 ASPH). 

On an M-9 when Auto lens detection is selected it shows EXIF as Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21 mm f/4 ASPH.

On an M-10 Auto lens detection is disabled and one can only select Manual M, and only Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21 mm f/4 ASPH is visible with  a choice of 3 selectable options 16mm, 18mm and 21mm. One needs to select 16mm manually, before taking pictures as otherwise EXIF only brings the last registered manual lens. I suppose this is right as it gives greater granularity for the 3 different Tri-Elmar settings. Has anyone else experienced this?

Edited by rramesh

17 minutes ago, rramesh said:

On an M-9 when Auto lens detection is selected it shows EXIF as Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21 mm f/4 ASPH.

On an M-10 Auto lens detection is disabled and one can only select Manual M, and only Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21 mm f/4 ASPH is visible with  a choice of 3 selectable options 16mm, 18mm and 21mm. One needs to select 16mm manually, before taking pictures as otherwise EXIF only brings the last registered manual lens. I suppose this is right as it gives greater granularity for the 3 different Tri-Elmar settings. Has anyone else experienced this?

There are no frame lines for 16/18/21 so it must be chosen the keep the exif correct.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rramesh said:

There is no difference between the lens profiles on the WATE between the focal lengths. The manual setting only changes EXIF.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes. This is normal behaviour on the M10R and M10M I have. The lens switches to manual selection and defaults to 16mm. You can then manually select other focal lengths if you wish. I have not tested if there is any new profiles being added.

When I put another coded lens on the camera it switches back to auto by itself and the correct lens is shown.

So it act like an AUTO mode but with possible manual selection of the appropriate focal length.

My MATE is still on holidays in Germany (about 6 months so far) so I can’t test if it has the same behaviour.

Gordon

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

Yes. This is normal behaviour on the M10R and M10M I have. The lens switches to manual selection and defaults to 16mm. You can then manually select other focal lengths if you wish. I have not tested if there is any new profiles being added.

When I put another coded lens on the camera it switches back to auto by itself and the correct lens is shown.

So it act like an AUTO mode but with possible manual selection of the appropriate focal length.

My MATE is still on holidays in Germany (about 6 months so far) so I can’t test if it has the same behaviour.

Gordon

The Mate will show the focal length selected in the exif if 6 bit coded.

• Like 2

On 9/20/2020 at 9:57 PM, Tailwagger said:

However AFAICT LR does seem to apply different corrections depending on which focal length is selected. 

Indeed, but those are LR profiles based on EXIF, not camera profiles.

2 hours ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

Gordon

I see this as the preferred behavior. Curious to know that if now the WATE has 3 lens profiles, one each for 16, 18 and 21mm focal lengths, rather than the 'one-size-fits-all' 16-18-21 on the M9. Unfortunately I don't have a WATE to test.

Edited by rramesh