jimleicam3

If you could only have one lens with the SL2?

Hard choice, I vacillate between the 35mm and 75mm summicron-SL's, I would say for me the 35mm is the 'one', though the 75mm is so often on the SL2 these days.

The 24-90mm is a great lens, but I tend to use it more video these days vs photography.

3 hours ago, John Z. Goriup said:

Without hesitation and / or reservations, I would go with the 24-90mm Vario-Elmarit SL f2.8 - 4 Asph.............a wonderful, useful and very effective all-paround lens.

JZG

+1 for the VE 24-90mm L -one of the most versatile lenses in the L line up with excellent IQ.

having only one lens i would have bought  a Leica Q-2, but having the opportunity i do like my M 28mm APSH SummiLux 1.4 too (with al my other gear...)

the 24-90 is descent , F4 is a slow lens for some shooting condition.

My favorite lens it the Noctilux 50mm 0.95 on the SL2

My least favorite lens in the Leica L lineup is the 24-90. However, that is the one I would have to choose simply because it is the most flexible. It is competent for landscapes. It is competent for portraits. It is competent for street/vacation/travel. It’s not “the best” for any of these, but it is good enough at all of them to be useful. I’d hate doing it, but that’s the one I’d go with.

If I got to keep my Q2 as well, I’d go with the 90-280 instead. I’ve enjoyed it for everything from my daughter’s horse shows to my son’s mountain bike races to landscapes to astrophotography. Because the SL2 doesn’t excel at continuous AF this lens doesn’t get as much attention as some of the others, but the performance is actually quite astonishing. Coupled with the 28mm on the Q2 I’d actually be getting a fairly flexible system.

If I simply pick my favorite of the SL lenses, it would be the 35mm Summicron. Something about the images from that lens just stands out above the rest. Plus, it’s actually quite a useful focal length (at least I find it so). It excels at street, environmental portraits, and travel, and if you are willing to do mosaics it can be adapted to wider angle landscape work.

SL 16-35. if only one.

But if I can take more than one, I would take : 16-35, 24-90, 90-280, 35, 50, 75, 90. All of these lenses are marvelous !

Thanks for the replies,  I own a Q2, and enjoy the ease of use.  On my M10 I use the 21 mm, 35 cron and the 50 lux.  I had an SL with an adapter, but I decided to trade back to an M( I had an M8) I had a 24-90 on loan for my SL, but the weight was nuts.  Now looking at the SL2 and a 75 or 90.  Comments?  Thanks