Small lens alternative for the CL?

Ktsa5239

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you do not really need AF almost all lenses from Voigtlaender for M are a great choice for you. They work extremely well with the EVF, they are priced quite attractive and some of them are real small jewels. They are often known as "not perfect" in corners, but that is no issue because of the smaller APS-C sensor of the CL. 21mm is nice, but be aware of the fact that the newer 3.5 lens is by far better. The pancake lenses are so cute on the CL, one of my favorites is the 2.5/35mm pancake.

There is another interesting world: if you have the M-adapter you have access to old M-lenses and some have their own style. There are many videos on these vintage lenses, sorry to say often more expensive then their better Voigtlaender brothers.

I hav the 11-23 TL, it is a great lens.

Before I got the 23 I used a 25 Canon f3.5, it is in Leica thread mount, for close to a 35, you would need an M adapter. Though I have never looked to see if there is a LTM to L adaptor. There seems to be one from one of the Chinese firms that is cheap, would open you to M39 lenses without the intermediate M adaptor. The Canon runs $400-500. A really small lens. Just fits the CL.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2020 at 10:05 AM, oldwino said:

Ok. But I was right about the price. 

Yes the price is nicer, and the 20-60 could be used without cropping on 24x36 sensors if that was needed.

I’m very happy with the 18-56 for my compact system and my 24x36 needs are met outside L-mount.

Of course TL lenses are way better build (polycarbonate lens clad with aluminium) And their AF is also faster and more reliable. 
Sigma DC DN are made of lighter but less sexy composite material (a kind of fancy plastic which is as strong as aluminium and more elastic than polycarbonate) 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wish there was something for the CL akin to these Olympus Body Cap Lenses, 15mm f/8 and 9mm f/8 Fish-eye:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

They're simple, manual focus lenses with a click-stop at the hyper focal and a built in lens cap, weigh about 10g each, and are about 9 mm thick. They make an m43 camera like the Panasonic GX9 pictured into a truly portable, pocketable carry for casual use and for when compactness and light weight are the most important qualities of a lens. I find myself carrying the GX9 with the 15mm f/8 when I bicycling a great deal of the time because of that. They're also fine performers ... 

Ghost - GX9 with 15mm f/8 @ ISO 400 @ 1/80

My most compact lens for the CL is the Color Skopar 28mm f/3.5, and it's a wonderful lens, but it's about ten times the weight and twice the thickness of the BCL 15mm. The closest thing from Leica is the TL 18mm—it would give about the same FoV as the BCL 15 on the GX9, but it's a good bit larger and heavier. Perhaps I'll buy one and try it out. 

G

Edited by ramarren
  • Like 2

I just got this (bad investment) 18mm, f:8 lens from Funleader (looked more promising in the preview shots they show at their site). It is called a cap lens, like the Fuji, correction Olympus...I hope that takes better pictures. 

I had read somewhere that this lens made your expensive camera take pictures like a cellphone and they're right (my Sony cellphone takes better pictures, see camera picture)), not worth it...which I already knew that but I was hopeful it would be a more descent alternative to a travel/pocket option, which it is NOT.

Edited by pocholin
Correction of Fuji to Olympus

15 minutes ago, pocholin said:

I just got this (bad investment) 18mm, f:8 lens from Funleader (looked more promising in the preview shots they show at their site). It is called a cap lens, like the Fuji...I hope that takes better pictures. 

I had read somewhere that this lens made your expensive camera take pictures like a cellphone and they're right (my Sony cellphone takes better pictures, see camera picture)), not worth it...which I already knew that but I was hopeful it would be a more descent alternative to a travel/pocket option, which it is NOT.

Interesting! It popped up on my Facebook and I was thinking about it for the past week! Where abouts are you located? I might be interested to buy it off you since my wife is into the Lo-fi point and shoot stuff. Is it at least sharp in the center?

Fuji? Hmm. My body cap lenses are Olympus products.

The Funleader looks like a single element lens, or a doublet at best, from your photos with it. I can't tell whether it has a focusing mount or not. I'll have to look it up, I'm always interested in entertaining lenses and such if they're cheap enough, many of which are mostly junk. LOL!

The Olympus Body Cap Lenses are a triplet (15mm) and a 5-element (9mm fisheye, two aspheric elements), and have an adjustable focusing mount. They're quite sharp, the 9mm fish-eye in particular, and produce attractive bokeh (although deep DoF) due to their fixed circular aperture. They perform way beyond what their $70-$110 price tags (when I bought them) imply. :)

Edited by ramarren

5 minutes ago, Ktsa5239 said:

Interesting! It popped up on my Facebook and I was thinking about it for the past week! Where abouts are you located? I might be interested to buy it off you since my wife is into the Lo-fi point and shoot stuff. Is it at least sharp in the center?

I'm in the University of Chicago area, I'd be interested on getting this thing off my hands, send me a message if indeed interested.

Soft sharpness is all over the frame, never very sharp, I'm sure I (or someone) can find inventive ways to take advantage of it, like black and white. 

3 minutes ago, ramarren said:

Fuji? Hmm. My body cap lenses are Olympus products.

The Funleader looks like a single element lens, or a doublet at best. I can't tell whether it has a focusing mount or not. 

The Olympus Body Cap Lenses are a triplet (15mm) and a 5-element (9mm fisheye, two aspheric elements), and have an adjustable focusing mount. They're quite sharp, the 9mm fish-eye in particular, and produce attractive bokeh (although deep DoF) due to their fixed circular aperture. They perform way beyond what their $70-$110 price tags (when I bought them) imply. :)

Sorry, you're right, Olympus. This lens is advertised as 6 elements in 4 groups. 

11 hours ago, pocholin said:

...Soft sharpness is all over the frame, never very sharp, I'm sure I (or someone) can find inventive ways to take advantage of it, like black and white. 

...Sorry, you're right, Olympus. This lens (Funleader) is advertised as 6 elements in 4 groups. 

That's mediocre performance for a six element lens, for sure. :( Not really worth playing with, considering that I can use a pinhole or zone plate and obtain the same or better sharpness (and nicer quality blur...) although not the same speed. 

Yes, I'm sure some can make nice photos with it regardless. It would likely not be worth the effort or price to me.

G

I got the fun leader lens cap lens yesterday.

It is certainly thinner than the TL pancake lens, so a CL can fit in your jeans pocket. It has a fixed f8 and a fixed focus that allows most everything in focus.

I agree that your cell phone camera is a better choice and even thinner. But it is "fun".

Here is a comparison of thickness vs a TL.

And here is a comparison of imagery of the funleader lens cap 18 vs the TL 18

I failed to match the color as I was mainly looking at sharpness.

• Thanks 1

You should be able to get all three of the Sigma f1.4 lenses.....and some extra cash, in trade for a 35mm TL, leaving any dealer with more than enough margin to make several hundreds of dollars reselling the 35TL.

Edited by Gregm61

My2cents..

I would suggest the sigma L mount lens route both aspc & FF. Havent tried the Panasonic lenses but they're quite big ATM however they supposedly will be future smaller lens down the lens roadmap. Both sigma and Panasonic are supposedly rumoured to release future compact f2.8's. Hope & See..

That said the 45mm DG DN is a wonderful compact lens. Not sure how it will fair with CL though but its compatible with L mount (possibly  requires firmware upgrade??)