Ktsa5239

Small lens alternative for the CL?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone 

Im a new owner of the CL, managed to find a mint condition one for a great price but it was just the body so I’m looking for a good lens.

Is there any non-Leica lens that would work with auto focus? I like the Leica 23mm summicron TL but there isn’t any second hand ones on the market. 

Ive considered going with m adaptor but m lenses are crazy expensive and it would make the CL abit bulky too. 

Appreciate any suggestions! Thanks

6 minutes ago, Ktsa5239 said:

Hi everyone 

Im a new owner of the CL, managed to find a mint condition one for a great price but it was just the body so I’m looking for a good lens.

Is there any non-Leica lens that would work with auto focus? I like the Leica 23mm summicron TL but there isn’t any second hand ones on the market. 

Ive considered going with m adaptor but m lenses are crazy expensive and it would make the CL abit bulky too. 

Appreciate any suggestions! Thanks

Not an AF lens, but since you considered M lenses as well, I can highly recommend the tiny Voigtlander Color Skopar 4/21mm lens in M mount if you still can find one. It was recently replaced by the 3.5/21mm lens, which is another good - but more expensive - option. Bulk is no issue with these lenses but the Leica M-mount adapter L is not cheap (but better than cheaper alternatives). Probably only makes sense if you plan to purchase more M-mount lenses in future.

Here is an example shot taken with the CL and the 4/21mm lens. Enjoy your new camera!

Wow I really like that photo!!

is there another option without the need for an adaptor? The adaptor is rather pricy....

Edited by Ktsa5239

There are some new Sigma apsc lenses that have just come out. Check out this thread on the CL/TL forum thread: "Sigma 16/30/56 for APS-C sensors"

Probably the best Leica APSC option is the TL 35 1.4, but it is bulkier and more expensive than the TL 23mm.

Rob

You sound price-averse, meaning the CL may not have been all that great a selection for you to begin with.

A second-hand 18mm f2.8 is about as “economical” as native Leica lenses go, with a second-hand 18-56 TL being a close second, and is a tiny option in a more versatile zoom.

Less expensive would be the Sigma primes being discussed in another close thread. Not necessarily small, but if you consider the M to L adapter expensive, your options are going to be rather limited in this system I’m afraid.

Edited by Gregm61

Another nod to the recently released Sigma 16mm 30mm or 56mm lenses. Sounds like one or two of those would be ideal for you. Enjoy your camera!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As others have said, have a look at the Sigma and Panasonic L-mount prime lenses.

I don't have a Sigma prime, but my Sigma 24-70 1:2.8 is excellent on my CL.

Thanks for the suggestions!

the sigma looks like a great choice, but Do I need an adaptor for the sigma? I can’t find one with L mount. Seems like most are either sony E mount or canon Ed mount

Sigma has released a batch for L mount at different focal lengths. Check the Sigma website for all the details. 

No, the Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4 is a Micro Four-Thirds lens. Different mount, smaller image circle/format so would not to some extent cover the image sensor of aps-c even if you could find an adapter for it, which would not make much sense for anyone to produce.

Edited by Gregm61

You can get a third party equivalent to the Leica M Adapter L for much less than the Leica original piece. They're not quite as good, because they don't have the six-bit code reader and they don't enable you to use the dial for focus magnification (you have to use the four way thumb pad instead), and they might not be quite as well made as the Leica piece, but you can get a decent one for under $100. However, if you look at the Voigtländer Color Skopar lenses (21, 25, 28, 35, and 50 mm), they are all compact, fit the CL beautifully, and image very nicely with the APS-C sensor. And the lens profiles from Leica are not really intended for them anyway. 

I use the Color Skopar 28mm f/3.5 quite a lot, as well as the Color Skopar 50mm f/2.5. The 28mm lens was only made in Leica Thread Mount so another adapter is needed for that one anyway (LTM to M-bayonet). It is a beautiful lens to shoot with.

G

The 23 comes up used, just have to keep trying, how I got mine. This was a return to a Dutch camera shop on US EBay. Another, longer lens, is the 55 f1.4 7 Artisans lens, mine is quite good, runs about $150, there are othe 7Artisans lenses, most are well received. Both Zeiss and Cosina/Voigtlander have 24mm lenses not sure of the size, CV has just brought out a 21 f1.4. 28 Leica Elmarits aren't that expensive, in Leica terms. If you buy a Leica lens you should get the Leica M to L adapter, other brands of lenses a 3rd party adapter would work. While the 30, 45, 56 Sigmas seem a little on the big side but are still acceptable, the 16 is way too big. I'd check the Camera Quest web site (Voigtlander) and see what they have www.cameraquest.com. If you haven't bought the CL yet, there are starter packages with the 18mm, a totally pocketable set.

The L-mount Sigma 30mm is really nice - a bit on the bigger side, but lightweight. The Leica TL 18 is, of course, amazingly small, but costs 2x what the Sigma does. 

The "little" Panasonic L-mount 20-60 zoom is about the same size as the Leica 18-56, but less expensive. Might be a little lighter, too. 

That Panasonic 20-60 does look like a cute little lens, would be fantastic on any of the L mount full frame cameras and a good complement on a CL with the 11-23 super zoom.

Not sure I’d want to use it as my “normal” zoom on the CL. The 18mm wide end of the 18-56 already seems not wide enough to me...i’d rather have it start at a 24mm equivalent of 16mm, not made longer to 20mm.

Edited by Gregm61

Or get the Voigtländer Color-Skopar 25 - a fantastic lens  on the CL and miniscule.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! 

I've ended up pick up a m adaptor at a great price. Also found a voiglander 35mm ultron f2 that looks great but I just dont know if I could get use to the 50mm after x1.5 factor since I've always used a 35mm before. 

Edited by Ktsa5239

On 9/18/2020 at 12:56 AM, oldwino said:

The L-mount Sigma 30mm is really nice - a bit on the bigger side, but lightweight. The Leica TL 18 is, of course, amazingly small, but costs 2x what the Sigma does. 

The "little" Panasonic L-mount 20-60 zoom is about the same size as the Leica 18-56, but less expensive. Might be a little lighter, too. 

From https://camerasize.com/compact/#726.696,726.862,ha,t, the 20-60 is longer (87.2mm vs 60mm), wider (77mm vs 63mm), and heavier (350g vs 256g) - which is what I’d expect as the 18-56mm only covers APS-C.

26 minutes ago, AdHox said:

From https://camerasize.com/compact/#726.696,726.862,ha,t, the 20-60 is longer (87.2mm vs 60mm), wider (77mm vs 63mm), and heavier (350g vs 256g) - which is what I’d expect as the 18-56mm only covers APS-C.

Ok. But I was right about the price. 

6 hours ago, Ktsa5239 said:

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! 

I've ended up pick up a m adaptor at a great price. Also found a voiglander 35mm ultron f2 that looks great but I just dont know if I could get use to the 50mm after x1.5 factor since I've always used a 35mm before. 

To get closer to 35mm (in old money) you could try something like the Zeiss 25mm f2.8. There are some lovely recent pictures taken with it in the T/TL images thread.