Matt Granger on Leica S3

SrMi

23 minutes ago, John Smith said:

I believe he says that it produces the best IQ he has ever seen.

He does, and he also loves the handling and ergonomics.  But the other issues, given the price, led him to decide against purchase (as he’d need another system to meet those other needs).

Jeff

• Thanks 1

I think Leica understands quite well how the S system compares to other products, its market positioning and demand, but made the business decision to invest the minimum required to remain viable for another product cycle and to keep the existing user base interested.  

Jeff

I have issues with his issue :-):

Still uses CompactFlash and SD card: most MF cameras still use SD cards, and one does not need to use CF cards (unless backup required).

- Only 921K screen: same as my new Hasselblad 907X SE. While I like larger LCDs, I do not mind the resolution of 920k.

Only 3fps: X1D II shoots 2.7 fps. I do not think it is an issue.

Single focus point focus forces focus and recompose, an issue on the tripod: on a tripod, you can use LV focusing, not limited to center screen.

Unreliable metering: is that a known issue?

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

37 minutes ago, SrMi said:

I have issues with his issue :-):

Still uses CompactFlash and SD card: most MF cameras still use SD cards, and one does not need to use CF cards (unless backup required).

- Only 921K screen: same as my new Hasselblad 907X SE. While I like larger LCDs, I do not mind the resolution of 920k.

Only 3fps: X1D II shoots 2.7 fps. I do not think it is an issue.

Single focus point focus forces focus and recompose, an issue on the tripod: on a tripod, you can use LV focusing, not limited to center screen.

Unreliable metering: is that a known issue?

+1.

Regarding

"- Unreliable metering: is that a known issue?"

Strange; I will rather say the exposure is consistent and accurate (only based on two weeks of use, though). 

Edited by helged
  • Like 3

Helged,  +1.  I agree with you. There is nothing wrong with the metering in the S3.  It is accurate and consistent as you wrote.  My S3 owned since May, is a most excellent tool.  Most important, my clients find the color, rendering and detail to be superb.  r/ Mark

• Like 1

I will say that the live view functionality does feel compromised in comparison to the SL2, which has a better refresh rate. Of course, the S also has to flip the mirror up and down whenever you change certain settings, which is a bit odd if you are used to mirrorless. Overall, it works but feels older style if you are used to EVF cameras.  (I had some issues with the camera would fail to achieve focus in normal lighting conditions, but if you zoom in twice, it seems to work better. The camera does not seem to focus on the exact spot in the crosshair, rather the whole area of the crop. If you zoom in fully, it works more consistently). But the speed and refresh rate are not that of the more modern SL2 system. That makes sense in that to implement entire new innards in the S3 would have been an even more costly and time consuming endeavor. I think the choice was probably more likely between whether to make an S3 or not make an S3, not as much whether to make an S3 from the ground up. Evidently the team of people working on it is not large in comparison to the more popular lines like the M and SL.

1 hour ago, Stuart Richardson said:

I will say that the live view functionality does feel compromised in comparison to the SL2, which has a better refresh rate. Of course, the S also has to flip the mirror up and down whenever you change certain settings, which is a bit odd if you are used to mirrorless. Overall, it works but feels older style if you are used to EVF cameras.  (I had some issues with the camera would fail to achieve focus in normal lighting conditions, but if you zoom in twice, it seems to work better. The camera does not seem to focus on the exact spot in the crosshair, rather the whole area of the crop. If you zoom in fully, it works more consistently). But the speed and refresh rate are not that of the more modern SL2 system. That makes sense in that to implement entire new innards in the S3 would have been an even more costly and time consuming endeavor. I think the choice was probably more likely between whether to make an S3 or not make an S3, not as much whether to make an S3 from the ground up. Evidently the team of people working on it is not large in comparison to the more popular lines like the M and SL.

Leica's offerings showcase all the compromises inherent in different systems, don't they? The SL2 is an elegant system, providing the latest technologies with lenses and mirrorless. It is a fantastic combination of everything except dynamic range on the higher ISOs if you read Photons to Photos. The M10-R, now with 40 MP, is a powerhouse in the smallest FF body but with all the inherent limitations of the rangefinder. Then there is the S which has the mirror, some old clunky technology, but the best IQ out there. And its still a pretty heavy beast. Makes you wonder why Leica doesn't offer a Sherpa service, allowing you to bring all the systems with you at any given time.

Edited by John Smith
  • Like 1

The only real weakness of the S3 is the AF system which is not very responsive/reliable in low light . I was shooting in a forest ten days ago, with a model sitting in a tree and had about half my images incorrectly focused, with the 70 CS. And no, I am not an inexperienced user, having used the S2 since 2012 and the S007 since 2015 - there are frustrating situations where the AF point is just too large or picks up something closer with more contrast and that is the end of it. I find the AF better even on the Phase One XF which would be a comparable camera, and also one with a dinosaur-era AF system. Metering is no problem but of course one needs to check the screen and histogram. As for IQ, it really is fantastic, more or less comparable with the IQ3100 back that I use in the studio. Profiles for C1 would be handy (one of these days, I will find the time to use the ColorChecker to make them, if Leica can't be bothered). I find raw conversion probably best from the Iridient Developer, now but that SW has limited functionality compared to C1 which I have relied on more and more since they incorporated layers. As for the need for Sherpas, it is not that bad if you bring 2-3 lenses to a location shoot that requires some hiking, and have an assistant to carry the lights, reflectors etc. I suspect this would be the usual usage scenario for the pros that use the camera in such a manner, anyway (on the S Magazine website, most of the S users contributing there say they use just two lenses with the S system, at least the fashion shooters). For the studio or location where you can drive all the way to the site, the rolling case is very convenient. The four most recent images on my website are S3. Also the most recent in the "landscapes" gallery (Naxos) is S3.

website link

Edited by albireo_double
  • Like 2