Stacked Filter Limit

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello Everyone,

Something I just learned today that I thought I would pass on - the moment I purchased my Q2 I also purchased a B+W clear filter for protection. This works great. However, I decided to experiment with a Tiffen black pro mist filter recently so I stacked them and then quickly realized that with the hood on, you can't shift into Macro mode. The filter will hit up against the inside of the hood as the lens moves out to accommodate macro mode.

So, no macro mode with more than one filter and the lens hood at the same time.

Maybe someone has a work-around for this other than the obvious?

Thanks!

Why stack filters? The last thing to do with such a superb lens is to put two extra layers of glass in front of it. OK one if you feel the need for protection put one on but don’t add extra layers that can add reflection problems. Take one off and put the other one, easy!

Thanks for the reply - the reason is immediacy and artistic intent. Swapping filters is time consuming. Now, suffice it to say, the times will be few and far between where the macro problem I describe will be an issue as I won't normally go out with the camera and switch modes all that often. I try to limit my "focus" for an outing as much as possible - so generally speaking there will only be one filter on at a time anyway - but we're talking millimeters of clearance here that could have made the difference. 

Is there a reason you must have the lens hood on while shooting?  I also use a couple of the pro mist filters at times mainly for portraits.  I almost never use the lens hood.  Also, I try to buy only ultra slim filters.

Edited by Leica28