Flash recommendation for Q, please.

I don't use flash much on either my M10-R or my Q2, but for those times that a bounce flash is the right solution, the SF40 fits the bill perfectly for me.  It's compact and has sufficient output to cover my needs.  It's easy to carry with you "just in case."

• Like 1

SF40 is a reasonably good flash. In general, I find Leica’s TTL algorithms really poor compared with Nikon and Canon, but that’s not the flash’s fault. Controls are good. Range is decent. It is compact enough to not feel awkward on a Q or M.  Wish it was priced more like the Nissin flash it’s based on. I use it for fill flash and for bounce in smaller rooms. It’s not super powerful, but it’s enough to be legitimately useful. Easy to run in manual mode as well. If you are content with manual mode, there are much less expensive options, but if you want TTL it’s really the most reasonable choice for a Q.

Leica photographers, for historical reasons, tend to be available light photographers. As a result, Leica has never put much effort into their strobes. They are invariably rebadged, marked up units from other manufacturers. The Nissin SF40 is probably their best offering to date.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jwr50 said:

I don't use flash much on either my M10-R or my Q2, but for those times that a bounce flash is the right solution, the SF40 fits the bill perfectly for me.  It's compact and has sufficient output to cover my needs.  It's easy to carry with you "just in case."

I like that the SF40 is flash and compact. Lately, I am finding a need for those "just in case" moments. I tested the unit and found it to be well balanced and light. I appreciate your comment, thank you, very much.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

18 hours ago, Leica28 said:

I would add that it would be worth your while to buy the LightPix T2 triggers.  That way you can fire your SF40 off camera (up to 30 ft) for those times you want to paint with a strobe light.  

That is something I would like to try. Have you used the LlightPix T2 triggers? Thank you very much for your suggestion.

On 9/15/2020 at 10:26 PM, Jared said:

SF40 is a reasonably good flash. In general, I find Leica’s TTL algorithms really poor compared with Nikon and Canon, but that’s not the flash’s fault. Controls are good. Range is decent. It is compact enough to not feel awkward on a Q or M.  Wish it was priced more like the Nissin flash it’s based on. I use it for fill flash and for bounce in smaller rooms. It’s not super powerful, but it’s enough to be legitimately useful. Easy to run in manual mode as well. If you are content with manual mode, there are much less expensive options, but if you want TTL it’s really the most reasonable choice for a Q.

Leica photographers, for historical reasons, tend to be available light photographers. As a result, Leica has never put much effort into their strobes. They are invariably rebadged, marked up units from other manufacturers. The Nissin SF40 is probably their best offering to date.

I like the option of being able to use TTL in a pinch. Really appreciate your feedback, appreciate you mentioning a little background on the Nissin, thanks so much!

On 9/16/2020 at 9:03 AM, antigallican said:

I have one. It's ridiculously expensive but does its job perfectly.

Have you tried using it with a trigger? I am wondering how well this might work... I am glad to know it does the job perfectly. Looks like I might be picking one up. Thank you for your comment.

Have you considered the SF 60 instead?  That would be my choice.  You can use the SF C1 wireless adapter on or off camera up to 350 feet I believe.  It’s really quite handy.  I rented both the 40 and 60 to see which one I liked best.  It’s really personal choice though.  

https://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/General-Accessories/General-Accessories/SF60-and-SFC1

Edited by Leica28
  • Like 2

On 9/17/2020 at 5:51 PM, lisa kachajian said:

Have you tried using it with a trigger? I am wondering how well this might work... I am glad to know it does the job perfectly. Looks like I might be picking one up. Thank you for your comment.

Not really. I do have triggers which will fire the Leica flash but I don't have a controller which would change the settings over the air, so I don't bother. I use it pretty exclusively as on-camera flash. Off camera I have Nissin Di700s and use a controller with them, but of course that's not TTL/auto etc. The equivalent in Leica flashes would just be too expensive for the small gain. I'm of an age where I am used to figuring ISO/f stop/ guide number in my head. Maybe someone could go back a step and produce a flash slide rule!

• Like 1