Is this normal? Clunk (not OIS) VIDEO LINK

bender73

With the camera turned off that sound is perfectly normal. 5he OIS is free to rattle around (within a very small range of motion, so no worries about it breaking or anything). However, that sound should go away as soon as you turn the camera on since the OIS element gets controlled by the tip/tilt actuators.

You sure it was on? That it hadn’t dropped int power saving mode (sleep mode)?

Edited by Jared

All Q cameras rattle.  This is normal due to the image stabilization components in the lens.

The thing that stressed me out is how godawfully hard you have to crank on the lens hood on the Q2 to get it into proper alignment during the last 1/4 turn. 

I called Leica NJ about this; their tech guy said this is normal and will not damage the camera or the  lens.  It is due to the fact that there is a recessed groove on the lens that contains a rubber "O" ring for weather sealing.  Because this "O" ring is in a recessed groove, it cannot expand normally when you are turning the lens hood that last 1/4 of a turn so you have to crank on it very hard to get it into proper alignment and to create the weatherproof seal between the lens hood and the lens.

On 9/15/2020 at 10:31 PM, Herr Barnack said:

All Q cameras rattle.  This is normal due to the image stabilization components in the lens.

The thing that stressed me out is how godawfully hard you have to crank on the lens hood on the Q2 to get it into proper alignment during the last 1/4 turn. 

I called Leica NJ about this; their tech guy said this is normal and will not damage the camera or the  lens.  It is due to the fact that there is a recessed groove on the lens that contains a rubber "O" ring for weather sealing.  Because this "O" ring is in a recessed groove, it cannot expand normally when you are turning the lens hood that last 1/4 of a turn so you have to crank on it very hard to get it into proper alignment and to create the weatherproof seal between the lens hood and the lens.

Respectfully. Why are you cranking on it so hard? Just a little oil from the side of your nose will make it a much easier operation. This is a very old tried and true solution for lubricating filter threads. Works on hoods too! 

Edited by Leica Guy

1 hour ago, Leica Guy said:

Respectfully. Why are you cranking on it so hard? Just a little oil from the side of your nose will make it a much easier operation. This is a very old tried and true solution for lubricating filter threads. Works on hoods too! 

I asked Mark, the Leica NJ tech guy about using a bit of lubrication on the threads.  His advice was do not put any lubrication on the threads of the lens hood. 

That, and I have dry skin.  🙁

Edited by Herr Barnack

11 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

I asked Mark, the Leica NJ tech guy about using a bit of lubrication on the threads.  His advice was do not put any lubrication on the threads of the lens hood. 

That, and I have dry skin.  🙁

I’m not surprised to hear that from a service tech and I personally would not use any commercial lubricant. I still firmly believe a little skin oil is perfectly okay. It really is a very old and I mean 50+ years or more trick that photographers used on filters. It’s such a small amount. I’ve never and I mean never had any issue doing what I recommend. Your milage may vary though. I would not personally apply the torque required to fully engage a hood on dry threads. Good luck. 

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

@Leica Guy

I think you are right - it is such a tiny amount of oil that it wouldn't be able to work its way into the seal between the O ring and the lens body.  For now, I have the lens hood in place and aligned properly.  I'm going to leave it and try the skin oil technique next time I need to remove and reinstall the lens hood for cleaning the UV filter on the lens. 

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 9/17/2020 at 9:05 AM, Leica Guy said:

@Leica Guy  An update: 

I switched to a different camera bag and had to start removing the hood to get the Q2 to fit in the bag, so I have removed and reinstalled my Q2's lens hood several times recently.  It now screws into its proper position with a reasonable amount of torque (with no lubricant having been used on the threads).  Either the threads got smoothed/polished a bit, the rubber "O" ring between the lens and the lens hood softened up a bit, or a combination of the two.

For others who are concerned about the amount of torque required to properly install your Q2 lens hood when the camera is new, try removing the lens hood and reinstalling it a couple of times a day for a week.  It will loosen up.

Edited by Herr Barnack

9 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

@Leica Guy  An update: 

I switched to a different camera bag and had to start removing the hood to get the Q2 to fit in the bag, so I have removed and reinstalled my Q2's lens hood several times recently.  It now screws into its proper position with a reasonable amount of torque (with no lubricant having been used on the threads).  Either the threads got smoothed/polished a bit, the rubber "O" ring between the lens and the lens hood softened up a bit, or a combination of the two.

For others who are concerned about the amount of torque required to properly install your Q2 lens hood when the camera is new, try removing the lens hood and reinstalling it a couple of times a day for a week.  It will loosen up.

I’ve given up on tight camera bags. Too much trouble. I want one slightly loose so I can easily take the camera out or place it back. No hassle. I have a Lowepro Aventura SH120 II. The Q2 drops in easily yet it feels very protected and excellent padding. I just wrap the strap around the lens. Easy and great for hiking or walking around. 

• Like 1