Noctilux 1:1.2/50 Asph. Limited Edition

RF’sDelight

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Al Brown:

Half a stop is huge... said no girl ever. 😉

????

@evikne There were 85 and 50mm with 1.2. I never had those. I always worked with 1.4 or 2.0 (today mainly with Sigma Art 50 1.4 and Canon 135 2.0 on EOS 5D 4 for commissioned assignements). And as I never had (and still do not have) faster lenses than 1.4 I do nit really understand the difference. I imagine that a ½ LV does not matter for low light. It might matter for DOF. Well, how much? Do you say that you see any difference between these 2 apertures?

13 minutes ago, M10 for me said:

@evikne There were 85 and 50mm with 1.2. I never had those. I always worked with 1.4 or 2.0 (today mainly with Sigma Art 50 1.4 and Canon 135 2.0 on EOS 5D 4 for commissioned assignements). And as I never had (and still do not have) faster lenses than 1.4 I do nit really understand the difference. I imagine that a ½ LV does not matter for low light. It might matter for DOF. Well, how much? Do you say that you see any difference between these 2 apertures?

First I had the 85/1.2, but when I later got the 50/1.2, that became my most used lens, because it was so much smaller and lighter. I owned these lenses because of the DOF, not because I needed them for low light. Regarding the Canon lenses, there is also a quality difference between the f/1.4 and f/1.2, because, as you know, the latter belongs to the professional L series. So this, in addition to the half stop extra speed, probably makes the difference even more prominent.

• Like 1

Just for fun comparison:
Summilux-M 1:1.4/50 Asph. »Black Chrome« / Noctilux-M 1:1.2/50 Asph. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, bayernfan said:

Hah, ok, at any aperture.  I figured a lens like this is meant to be shot at or near wide open.  Plenty of other great f/1.4 and f/2 lenses if you don't need that speed/character.

In my decades of using Noctilux, I don't use at wide open much.

Wide open using is only when necessary, in most of situation I just use close down.

Using Noctilux wide open is kind of "new Noctilux users hobby" : look at this Noctilux look.

I like my Noctilux that way close down "a bit". ( so why I use more Summarit-M, now ! ).

Coming to this new Noctilux-M 1.2/50, I don't know if I'd use as before or close to wide open.

Time will tell.

• Like 1

Just now, a.noctilux said:

In my decades of using Noctilux, I don't use at wide open much.

Wide open using is only when necessary, in most of situation I just use close down.

Using Noctilux wide open is kind of "new Noctilux users hobby" : look at this Noctilux look.

I like my Noctilux that way close down "a bit". ( so why I use more Summarit-M, now ! ).

Coming to this new Noctilux-M 1.2/50, I don't know if I'd use as before or close to wide open.

Time will tell.

Fair enough.  I never shoot my Summicrons at f/2, so I can relate.

8 minutes ago, bayernfan said:

Hah, ok, at any aperture.  I figured a lens like this is meant to be shot at or near wide open.  Plenty of other great f/1.4 and f/2 lenses if you don't need that speed/character.

Indeed DoF is too short on close ups and i have several 50mm lenses already but i don't buy lenses to use them at fast aperture only. If they do not allow me to shoot below 1m, i may agree if those are legacy lenses but on new ones, let alone expensive ones, thanks no thanks but it's just me :cool:.