Best M Mount Lens For M10-R?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

15 minutes ago, agencal said:

Hi Philip...It depends. I mean what do you wanna shoot?...

I think you might have misunderstood the concept of the post, agencal. The question specifically ruled out having more than one lens. The question was if you could only choose ONE lens, EVER, to use on your body which would it be. So I assume we can take it that your answer is a 50mm apo?

Thanks!

Philip.

9 minutes ago, pippy said:

I think you might have misunderstood the concept of the post, agencal. The question specifically ruled out having more than one lens. The question was if you could only choose ONE lens, EVER, to use on your body which would it be. So I assume we can take it that your answer is a 50mm apo?

Thanks!

Philip.

Wow what a bir mistake i made.Sorry everyone😂

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, agencal said:

Wow what a bir mistake i made.Sorry everyone😂

No worries, agencal. It was a simple oversight and an interesting list nonetheless. I seriously doubt anyone took the slightest offence!

In any event; all-told I sort-of nominated two lenses myself......:lol:......

Philip.

Edited by pippy

On 9/16/2020 at 6:03 PM, agencal said:

.....For landscape use one lens can not be enough

If you insist on being dogmatic, neither is one format.

One of my most used landscape cameras has a fixed 65mm lens and if I had an M10-R (unlikely I ever will have one, admittedly), I would quite happily use it with a 28mm solely for landscape photography.  

So we seem to disagree.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I will say the 28’lux. I have always liked the view 28 gives and the 28 ‘lux is by far the ‘best’ (ie the one I enjoy using the most) 28 that I have ever had.  Having said that, every time I put the 50 APO on I wonder why I ever took it off, it is incredible on my M10M and so easy to use.

• Like 2

Does it have to be M-mount? I'd pick the Canon 28mm f/2.8 LTM for the focal length, speed, size, ergonomics, and image quality. It'd be even better on a Monochrom.

If it has to be M-mount, I guess I'd pick the collapsible 50mm Summicron. The best bokeh of all of them, and good contrast for B&W.

A newer lens I'd love is the Voigtländer 35mm f/2 Ultron. That'd be my top pick for a 35mm lens.

• Like 1

I'd have to go with the 35mm Cron Asph as the best single lens given all sorts of variables.  That assumes no other camera with me. Size, unobtrusiveness,  and durability enter into my decision.  Regards, Ron

Edited by Ronazle

I guess for me, this question poses the usual problem for such questions.

It amounts to "what one string would you use on your guitar?" ;) Sorry, that's not how art functions.

If someone told me I could only have one M lens on any sensor, and it should be the best, or I would be shot, I would reply "50mm APO - sharpest, and M-sized. Now, shoot me anyway; I'd rather die than photograph that way!"

It also ignores the scientific fact that there is not some one best lens for a particular sensor resolution. Better sensors improve any lens, better lenses improve the performance of any sensor.

Or put more accurately, the better the lens, the less it degrades any sensor's absolute performance. And the better the sensor, the less it degrades any lens's performance

MTF of the system (sensor + lens) = MTF lens X MTF sensor. Since MTFs are always given as a percentage that implies "less than perfect" (i.e. less than, and usually a lot less than 100%) a given sensor can only degrade a lens's performance (and vice-versa). Lens MTF 75% x sensor MTF 90% = system MTF of 67.5% - worse than either alone).

I can reply that:

First Leica lens I bought and last I would sell: 21mm Elmarit pre-ASPH. Regardless of sensor quality, or color vs. monochrome.

My money focal length, with f/2.8 speed and 1980s Mandler color and contrast. I'd be just about willing to live (unhappily) with that alone. Then I'd try to find some shooting buddies with a 28 and a 35 and a 75 and a 135 - so's we could swap around welded lens/camera units. ;) Nobody said anything about that - or swapping SD cards.

• Like 2

On 9/14/2020 at 11:24 PM, ChrisL said:

if you could only have one M mount lens permanently affixed to your high resolution M10-R, which was your only camera, and price was no object, what would that lens be

Elmar-M 50/2.8 because i see in 50mm and i love the character of the lens. Reason why i will never have an M10R BTW. Oops bad answer :D.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/14/2020 at 11:24 PM, ChrisL said:

This is sure to stir up some 🔥 and I apologize In advance if it’s redundant, but I see so many posts by folks insisting that they only shoot with one lens on their M. So, if you could only have one M mount lens permanently affixed to your high resolution M10-R, which was your only camera, and price was no object, what would that lens be (doesn’t have to be a Leica, but I’m guessing it will be)?  Would your answer change if you were shooting a 40MP Monochrome?  I’m Seriously interested in the response from this group.  Thanks. 

Summilux 35 FLE