Color adjust to emulate Orange (or any other) Filter

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My standards with 35mm format are no different than when I shot 8x10.... or 4x5... or medium format (ever since the 70’s). I stlll aim for frame worthy prints, doing my own printing, custom matting, framing and display lighting.  Important decisions at every stage of the workflow. Good, or even very good, won’t cut for a fine print.  YMMV.

Jeff

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Einst_Stein said:

am resisting the cloud based lightroom/photoshop. The problem is I can't access to it when I am traveling. Adobe requires to log-in through the cell phone, but I am using the local sim card and phone.  I end up using the stand along copy in my travel mac book.  Stand alone Photoshop is far too expensive than I am willing to pay. 

Einst, I read this as you are using an old standalone version of LR and not the current version of LR Classic.  Standalone versions of Lightroom or Photoshop are no longer available.  The subscription for both Lightroom Classic and Photoshop with Bridge is $9.99 per month.  (You can still buy a standalone Capture One which many prefer to the Adobe products, and it is often on sale at an attractive price.)

However, you might be interested in Adobe Cloud syncing and using an iPhone/iPad when you leave your MacBook behind.  The iPad version of Lightroom is very good with the normal develop module; it is missing the output functions.  The iPad version of Photoshop requires the use of Adjustment Layers for this type work because my favorite, Filter/Camera Raw is not available yet.  I don't have my iPad with me so I can't check if Photo Filter is available.  Also Bridge is not available yet.

Adobe cloud is indeed excellent. The price is also good. What I dont like it is it requires to get the check-in code through my cell phone and I do not like the cell phone roaming. 

Adobe told me the cliud version allows to use it wothout mobile check in for 30days. But even so it never really worked. 

I have phase one when I had sony A7R2,  at that time LR did not work well with sony. But I had very bad experiences with both P1 and AR72.  I dont like the color. I tried p1 with Leica, still no good. It is petsonal. 

I have subscribed the adobe cloud now.  The adobe filter in ps is good.  But I still prefer the real filter, although now I can have both choices, one with the real filter and another just adobe filter. 

I find Adobe Cloud exceedingly practical Combined with iCloud it allows me to sync all my devices. When traveling I always carry a spare old iPhone with the local card anyway. I seem to recall that it is possible to switch off two factor authentication in your Adobe account.

1 hour ago, Einst_Stein said:

Adobe cloud is indeed excellent. The price is also good. What I dont like it is it requires to get the check-in code through my cell phone and I do not like the cell phone roaming. 

Adobe told me the cliud version allows to use it wothout mobile check in for 30days. But even so it never really worked. 

I have phase one when I had sony A7R2,  at that time LR did not work well with sony. But I had very bad experiences with both P1 and AR72.  I dont like the color. I tried p1 with Leica, still no good. It is petsonal. 

I have subscribed the adobe cloud now.  The adobe filter in ps is good.  But I still prefer the real filter, although now I can have both choices, one with the real filter and another just adobe filter. 

It’s not just about Adobe ‘filters’ or color channels.  There’s also no such thing as OOC colors without considering software effects, etc. Adobe collaborates with Leica (provides cameras, etc) to optimize color profiles in LR or PS; Phase (C1) does not have similar cooperation and access. That’s why some using C1 initially complained that M10-R colors sucked (and wrongly blamed the camera), while those using Adobe reported no such horrors. (Eventually C1 results should improve.)  Better yet, one can easily generate custom color profiles for each camera and lighting situation. Beyond that, there are myriad other controls and actions one can employ in PP to reach desired rendering and overall output.  Color channel adjustments should be used very judiciously IMO; easy to overdo. Again, the most important tools are between the ears.

Jeff

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

It’s not just about Adobe ‘filters’ or color channels.  There’s also no such thing as OOC colors without considering software effects, etc. Adobe collaborates with Leica (provides cameras, etc) to optimize color profiles in LR or PS; Phase (C1) does not have similar cooperation and access. That’s why some using C1 initially complained that M10-R colors sucked (and wrongly blamed the camera), while those using Adobe reported no such horrors. (Eventually C1 results should improve.)  Better yet, one can easily generate custom color profiles for each camera and lighting situation. Beyond that, there are myriad other controls and actions one can employ in PP to reach desired rendering and overall output.  Color channel adjustments should be used very judiciously IMO; easy to overdo. Again, the most important tools are between the ears.

Jeff

I got your point. Meaningless!

If you work for Adobe, use a better argument. If you are not, well, I don't know what to say.

The issue is very simple, there is traditional solution, use real filter, and there is also post processing solution. digital filter. The real filter is a well established method. The digital solution may be more flexible but need to be more user friendly. The Photoshop version is good but it is not implemented in LR yet. 

When the digital filter is implemented in LR, I will give it a try. Till then, real filter is good enough.

28 minutes ago, Einst_Stein said:

I got your point. Meaningless!

If you work for Adobe, use a better argument. If you are not, well, I don't know what to say.

The issue is very simple, there is traditional solution, use real filter, and there is also post processing solution. digital filter. The real filter is a well established method. The digital solution may be more flexible but need to be more user friendly. The Photoshop version is good but it is not implemented in LR yet. 

When the digital filter is implemented in LR, I will give it a try. Till then, real filter is good enough.

Colored filters are best used with black and white film photography or, in a digital world, with a monochrome-based sensor (no color array). Simple enough. But good color management and rendering depends on much, much more.  Hardly meaningless... except for those whose standards are modest, or low, especially if consistency and reliability don’t matter.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Maybe this idea isn't complicated enough given the knots people are tying themselves in, but within Nik Suite's 'Color Efex' range of effects it can do all sorts of weird things to colour and make an image look orange. I should add it is also an excellent colour editing package for normal looking images.