1.4x or 2x extender for 90-280mm lens

Manicouagan1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

15 hours ago, caissa said:

Not necessarily. E.g. for Contax lenses there were three extenders: One for shorter lenses, one for longer focal lengths and one dedicated to some special high end tele lenses (very wide aperture). For almost any lens you could get an extender. And the quality was high.

The specifications sheets for the Contax Mutars listed all available lenses, and put them in one of three categories: recommended, possible with optical limitations, not possible for mechanical reasons. No single lens was recommended with all converters, and even recommended lenses sometimes had footnotes showing limitations for close focus, or vignetting.

Same as now, except that manufacturers can enforce the rules in firmware.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, caissa said:

Not necessarily. E.g. for Contax lenses there were three extenders: One for shorter lenses, one for longer focal lengths and one dedicated to some special high end tele lenses (very wide aperture). For almost any lens you could get an extender. And the quality was high.

Agree!  From time to time, I still use my Zeiss 300mm f2.8 Tele Apo-Tessar Contax mount with the Mutar III 1.4x & Mutar II 2x tele converters & Novoflex C/Y - L adapter on the SL2 & CL. The results are excellent, albeit a bulky set up.

On 9/15/2020 at 8:58 AM, michali said:

As I do a lot of wildlife photography, I find the the lack of an extender or at least a dedicated 400mm L mount lens extremely frustrating. So last year I purchased the Canon EF 400mm f/4 DO IS II USM along with the Canon 1.4x & 2x extenders, which I use on the SL2 with the Sigma MC-21 adapter. Only SAF is available which is not a big issue for me. Image quality is excellent.  I use the CL as back up / "extender" mainly with the VE 90-280mm L. 

SL2 & Canon 400mm with 1.4x extender- African Dusky Flycatcher (Muscicapa adusta). Please click on image for better res.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Is it better to use the Canon extender 1.4x II or rather III ? Which version did you buy ? What is your recommendation ?

3 hours ago, caissa said:

Is it better to use the Canon extender 1.4x II or rather III ? Which version did you buy ? What is your recommendation ?

I found 2 used mint condition Canon 1.4x III & Canon 2x III extenders.  IQ with the 1.4x is excellent & it's very difficult to distinguish the difference between images taken with & without the extender. As for the 2x extender there's slight but noticeable image degradation, I hardly use the 2x.

According to this review, there's negligible difference in IQ between the Canon II & III versions.

Canon 1.4x Extenders

Edited by michali

Thanks for the info. I have another question.

I found this interesting video from Steve Perry about BIF (a crash course) with many valuable hints and tips and many examples with technical details of the shots. Unfortunately not for the SL2. As said, I found it very interesting and valuable. What do you think about it and the given recommendations ? (addressed to all users interested in this topic.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69jcmNbqGrU&feature=emb_rel_end

Edited by caissa