1.4x or 2x extender for 90-280mm lens

Manicouagan1

3 hours ago, Manicouagan1 said:

Has anyone tried using the Sigma 1.4x or 2x extenders with the Leica 90-280 lens?  How were the results?

I believe the new Sigma L-mount teleconverters are only compatible with the new 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS Contemporary lens.

The Leica R 1.4 APO extender and 2x APO extender were quite good, that said, I only tried them on film and 10mp, not 47mp... It would be great to have good extenders though, they can be extremely useful in situations where you really want the reach but do not want to buy or carry another large lens.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would also like to see a Leica 1.7x extender for the SL lenses  (if possible not just usable on the SL 90-280 but also on the 90 and 75 and maybe 50). This would also make the lenses better for macro (giving greater magnification).

But the good news is that the problem gets smaller, because the sensors get more and more resolution, so the cropping ability increases with every new generation (usually every 4 years). So when the decade is over we will have more than enough resolution for big crops.

Maybe there comes another solution: Panasonic could maybe add a 400 mm prime lens with a corresponding extender. Or a 500mm lens, maybe even with Fresnel lenses to keep it small. They once said a long tele lens is in the roadmap, but no details available. Or Sigma could add a longer macro lens (150 or 180mm) that can be used with the Sigma extenders ... that would also help. (I do not like to use extenders with a Sigma zoom).

Or for better macro it would be enough if somebody would offer an extension ring for L-mount (maybe 1.5 and 3 cm).

Edited by caissa
  • Like 1

As I do a lot of wildlife photography, I find the the lack of an extender or at least a dedicated 400mm L mount lens extremely frustrating. So last year I purchased the Canon EF 400mm f/4 DO IS II USM along with the Canon 1.4x & 2x extenders, which I use on the SL2 with the Sigma MC-21 adapter. Only SAF is available which is not a big issue for me. Image quality is excellent.  I use the CL as back up / "extender" mainly with the VE 90-280mm L. 

SL2 & Canon 400mm with 1.4x extender- African Dusky Flycatcher (Muscicapa adusta). Please click on image for better res.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by michali
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, jaapv said:

Aren't you missing the Sigma 100-400 and the Sigma extenders?

I'm specifically talking about a fixed FL lens in the 400mm to 500mm range. Sigma loaned me a 100-400mm L mount for a couple of days to try out. A decent & capable lens at a very good price point, however I've been spoilt by the IQ of the Canon & the VE 90-280mm L. It's also not fair to compare the Sigma against these 2 lenses. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, michali said:

I'm specifically talking about a fixed FL lens in the 400mm to 500mm range. Sigma loaned me a 100-400mm L mount for a couple of days to try out. A decent & capable lens at a very good price point, however I've been spoilt by the IQ of the Canon & the VE 90-280mm L. It's also not fair to compare the Sigma against these 2 lenses. 

+1. And the Canon f4 DO v2 is  a m a z i n g .

• Like 1

No, there are very few 100-400 lenses that can keep up with fixed focal length ones. Reviews claim that the Sigma 100-400 is on par with the Canon 100-400 mk2 but obviously the VE is in a different league, and lens class. I rather doubt whether there will ever be a native L lens in that focal length. It is quite a small market.

• Thanks 1

Sigma offers currently a 4/500mm. Why should they not offer it in L-mount (sooner or later, maybe for the Olympics next year ?!). And as stated before Panasonic has a long prime lens (300, 400, 500 ?) on their "internal" roadmap.

Sigma will maybe also improve the MC-21 to support AFc (they did with the Sony version). That would also improve the situation to some degree with the EF 400 DO. Maybe also for the Sigma 4/500 (Has anybody tried that lens ?). DxO seems to like that lens (better than some famous SL lenses :rolleyes:) and published a very encouraging review in 2017. https://www.dxomark.com/sigma-500mm-f-4-dg-os-usm-s-canon-lens-review-super-sharp-shooter/ The scores are very similar to the equivalent Canon lens (but the price a lot lower). Also the extenders can be used (5.6/700 and 8/1000). (Does the SL2 AF at f8, like some Canon cameras ?)    (Sigma offers it in SA mount, And we know their strategy is to replace that with L-mount.)

Edited by caissa

2 hours ago, caissa said:

Sigma offers currently a 4/500mm. Why should they not offer it in L-mount (sooner or later, maybe for the Olympics next year ?!). And as stated before Panasonic has a long prime lens (300, 400, 500 ?) on their "internal" roadmap.

Sigma will maybe also improve the MC-21 to support AFc (they did with the Sony version). That would also improve the situation to some degree with the EF 400 DO. Maybe also for the Sigma 4/500 (Has anybody tried that lens ?). DxO seems to like that lens (better than some famous SL lenses :rolleyes:) and published a very encouraging review in 2017. https://www.dxomark.com/sigma-500mm-f-4-dg-os-usm-s-canon-lens-review-super-sharp-shooter/ The scores are very similar to the equivalent Canon lens (but the price a lot lower). Also the extenders can be used (5.6/700 and 8/1000). (Does the SL2 AF at f8, like some Canon cameras ?)    (Sigma offers it in SA mount, And we know their strategy is to replace that with L-mount.)

Regarding Sigma 500mm: I briefly tested that lens on a Nikon body. It was good in most/all respects, and certainly at a level that I would purchase an L-mount version of the lens. Just a question of time (I think/hope). A factor that might hold long l-mount lenses back is the af, but with the improved af in Panasonic S5 - and soon Lumix S1, S1R, S1H - I guess it is just a question of time before af is at a sufficiently reliable level for a long f4/f4.5 lens.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, SrMi said:

AFAIK, Peter Karbe (Leica) does not like teleconverters (image degradation) and prefers cropping instead. Therefore I doubt that we will see any teleconverters for Leica lenses.

That is rather frustrating and I believe shortsighted. Cropping may still give you a sharp image, but you are also increasing the potential noise, moire, artifacts and losing tonality and smoother resolution for larger prints. Assuming the TC is not truly terrible, I would rather use a TC, as it would allow me to have a better underlying image, even if perhaps it is not as sharp as the native lens. Most every other manufacturer seems to be able to do it... Most Leica lenses are already significantly better than other makers, I would rather take a small hit to that performance and use a TC than have to buy a separate native lens for most likely more money and one that will likely have a different color palette and overall look.

On 9/12/2020 at 10:10 PM, SrMi said:

I believe the new Sigma L-mount teleconverters are only compatible with the new 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS Contemporary lens.

Another question: Could the teleconverters be used with the Sigma 1.4/105 or 1.8/135 mm lenses ?   (Or one of the older macro lenses of 150 and 180 mm)

47 minutes ago, caissa said:

Another question: Could the teleconverters be used with the Sigma 1.4/105 or 1.8/135 mm lenses ?   (Or one of the older macro lenses of 150 and 180 mm)

I do not believe so. Typically teleconverters are compatible only with a small subset of manufacturer's lenses.

15 minutes ago, SrMi said:

I do not believe so. Typically teleconverters are compatible only with a small subset of manufacturer's lenses.

Not necessarily. E.g. for Contax lenses there were three extenders: One for shorter lenses, one for longer focal lengths and one dedicated to some special high end tele lenses (very wide aperture). For almost any lens you could get an extender. And the quality was high.

Edited by caissa
  • Thanks 1