Confusing myself with Leica & Fuji cameras.

erniethemilk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Part question, part thinking in my head. 

I have my Leica M10-P which has been with me for almost 12 months now and I also have an Fuji X100f & X-H1.

I bought the X-H1 earlier this year as it was just such a stupid price not to - and I’ve added a couple of Zoom lenses to it, to use for a particular subject matter I really like to shoot. 

I bought the X100f a couple of months ago - partly on price and partly as I wanted what I felt was a really simple, quick to use auto focus digital for almost everyday use. 

What I have found is I use the X-H1 & X100f predominately in auto ISO and aperture priority which does work very well for 99% of the time. 

The M10-P on the other hand I use in manual mode, manual mode & I set a specific ISO rather than auto ISO. 

This does become a little confusing at times and I’m not really sure why I do it.

For sure if I use the Fuji’s in manual mode (ala M10) it doesn’t feel right to me and conversely if I use the Leica in auto ISO/AP that doesn’t feel right either!

Am I nuts or do other Leica/Fuji users do the same? 😂

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I do the same. Leica M on full manual always, other cameras in A/M+auto ISO automatic programs.

Leica M invites to go full manual mode: good shutter speed dial, good aperture dial, kind of poor metering (it's good metering but it's not like you can forget about it and let it do its thing).

I have developed a clumsy but fluent method with M. I see some action coming  my way, or otherwise check the exposure, I'll usually shoot a dud file just to check if I overexpose. Then I can go on confidently shooting and not having to chimp the exposure. Of course I will consult the metering aids in the viewfinder too but they are not always very useful when I have to overexpose by over a stop. Then of course, as an added benefit, you learn in a short time to approximate the light levels, you learn to automatically adjust the parameters if the light levels change rapidly, so on.

Other systems (no Fujis but Nikon Df and Panasonic M4/3 cameras at the moment) are poorer at shutter speed dial / aperture dial department, but they do nice evaluative metering and mirrorless cameras even offer exposure preview.

• Like 2

I don't see the point when carrying my M10 around handheld  in worrying about every detail of shutter speed or ISO, so long as my limits have been set in the menu. So I just set it on Auto ISO and shutter and concentrate on the aperture and focus. I can still meter from my preferred surface by holding the shutter button and then recomposing, whether the camera is going to give me 1/180th or 1/250 second isn't something I need to know. If however the camera is on a tripod I set the ISO manually and leave the shutter on Auto. And if I want to capture movement I set the shutter speed manually and set the ISO on Auto.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 9/13/2020 at 2:27 AM, erniethemilk said:

Part question, part thinking in my head. 

I have my Leica M10-P which has been with me for almost 12 months now and I also have an Fuji X100f & X-H1.

I bought the X-H1 earlier this year as it was just such a stupid price not to - and I’ve added a couple of Zoom lenses to it, to use for a particular subject matter I really like to shoot. 

I bought the X100f a couple of months ago - partly on price and partly as I wanted what I felt was a really simple, quick to use auto focus digital for almost everyday use. 

What I have found is I use the X-H1 & X100f predominately in auto ISO and aperture priority which does work very well for 99% of the time. 

The M10-P on the other hand I use in manual mode, manual mode & I set a specific ISO rather than auto ISO. 

This does become a little confusing at times and I’m not really sure why I do it.

For sure if I use the Fuji’s in manual mode (ala M10) it doesn’t feel right to me and conversely if I use the Leica in auto ISO/AP that doesn’t feel right either!

Am I nuts or do other Leica/Fuji users do the same? 😂

I shoot film and digital.

Film - Leica M2 35 + 50 & whenever I feel the urge to shoot 120 [edit it’s never an urge and always deliberate] - Rolleiflex 2.8E [handheld] or Super Wide C [Scalloped lens barrel] on a tripod.

Digital Fujifilm X-Pro2 18 + 35 [equivalent 28 + 50]

I too have differing methods when I’m using either system. 

Film - always manual, mostly Tri-X, using my trusted Minolta Auto Meter IVF.

Digital - 400/800 ISO, A mode, single mode focus, Fine/RAW, Acros R, sometimes Y, LCD always off [saves battery] = more shooting.

On 9/13/2020 at 10:19 AM, Mute-on said:

Nope. Manual focus = manual settings. Auto focus = auto settings (at least ISO and aperture priority, anyway). 

Seems logical to me ..... 😎

Logical indeed 😎 

• 2 weeks later...

I had a Fuji X100F for a while but traded it away.  The menu system and controls were just too convoluted. 

The deal breaker for me was when shooting an event with it, I apparently touched the camera in the wrong way and it switched to JPEG in the middle of the shoot. 

Now I'm using my Q2 in place of the X100F.  The Q2 stays in DNG file mode when I put it there.

Edited by Herr Barnack